Author Topic: Ruger New Vaquero’s Question(s).  (Read 9711 times)

Offline KenTuck

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Ruger New Vaquero’s Question(s).
« on: June 05, 2007, 06:11:17 AM »
I’m looking to buy my first Single Action Army revolver.  I’m leaning to the Ruger New Vaquero 4 5/8” Gloss Stainless in 45LC.  I was torn between the Ruger and the Taurus, but I think buying American means more to me, especially in an Old West style firearm. 

The trigger on the Ruger seems as if it’s more forward than the old Colts or Uberti clones.  Does this make it harder to “spin” the gun?  I have to admit that when sitting at home (with the gun unloaded), I will want to learn how to spin/twirl the guns like in the movies.

Also how does the Ruger compare to the Taurus?  If they need to be worked on can the Ruger be easily fixed by a green horn like me?  ;D

I have also found some pearl type grips on the net, that I hope will look nice.  Have you ever seen these style grips and how did they look in person?

Thanks for any help,

KenTuck

Offline Will Dearborn

• "Ramrod, wreckage, and ruin..."
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Faugh an Ballagh
    • My Place on myspace
  • Liked:
Re: Ruger New Vaquero’s Question(s).
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 07:24:19 AM »
Okay.  New Rugers don't really need much work out of the box.  What little they do need is usually just tweaking it to fit you.  The action is a dream come true.  Some of the parts internally may need slight polishing...they get burrs in the factory.  If a Ruger wears out, you send it back top Sturm Ruger and they fix it.

Taurus' action is a little rougher.  It seemed to me when I worked it that it wasn't as sweet as the Vaquero's.  HOWEVER...  New Vaqueros don't come with a half-cock.  If your thumb slips off the hammer during cocking, and the shell doesn't fire... you have to work the cylinder around to retry the misfire.

Taurus has a half-cock.

Taurus also has a simple warranty:  Look of the gun... does it say "Taurus" on the gun?  Then they cover it and will fix it.

As for pearl grips...

There are many types.  Some are merely painted to look like pearl, some are cast to actually refract light like true pearl does. 
Hope that helped.

Long days and pleasant nights,
Will
"First comes smiles; then comes lies.  Last is gunfire."
                                                -Roland of Gilead
V.P., Waverly Arts Council
Chairman, Gen. Jo Shelby's Iron Brigade Assn.
SASS #75873
RATS #359
SBSS #2032
SCORRS
GAF #467
Private, 7th and 30th Cons. Missouri Inf.  "Irish Brigade"

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 10:05:44 AM »
Be careful with with the spinning.  I have seen more that one person that had been practicing at home do it on the range and it will get you a DQ real quick.

Vaqueros are pretty straight forward guns and are pretty easy to take down and put back together.  You can do a lot of the work on them yourself just be careful and make sure that you know someone that can and will fix up any boo boo that you might make.  Many smiths will charge you an arm and a leg to fix something that someone else has torn up.
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:07:23 PM »

Offline KenTuck

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 12:11:01 PM »
Thanks,

Here is the link to where I found the grips.  It does not say what type they are, but at that price it should be the better version I would think.
http://www.grips4guns.com/revolver/ruger/item_1612604.html

Can you get the Rugers to spin well or should I look at a Uberti or other clone for that?

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a DQ?  Where I shoot at there are no range masters or anything.  Just a big field with a huge earth backstop, and no one around for miles, its heaven on earth...  However, I don't think I would ever even try to spin a loaded gun...  :o

Thanks,
Ken

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 08:06:14 AM »
DQ =  disqualified from a match or from a stage in cowboy action shooting.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline Will Dearborn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Faugh an Ballagh
    • My Place on myspace
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 09:46:57 PM »
As for spinning...no clue.  Check out The Book of Cool DVD.  (bookofcool.com)

Volume One has how-to for spinning guns and other tricks.

Loop Rawlins... spins guns and ropes...http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=176677&fr=yfp-t-501

Long days and pleasant nights,
Will
                                                -Roland of Gilead
SASS #75873
RATS #359
SBSS #2032
SCORRS
GAF #467

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 07:47:01 AM »
This about the grips.  If you get a polymer grip they are subject to heat and cold and they will be very smooth, slick even.  If you get a natural material the tend to stay warmer in the winter and cooler in summer.  Also, even if they are very smooth they have a grain that will help reduce slippage.  I didn't believe what a difference they could make until I tried some for myself.

I been swapping e-mail back and forth with this guy http://www.handicraft-vn.com/shop/pistol-grips-craft-buffalo-horn-bone-pearl-mixed-c-101_128.html and he's supposed to send me a set of grips to try out.  He's also talking about sponsoring our state championship so he is a supporter of the sport.

If you go here http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/ and scroll down to Thursday, May 24, 2007 then you can read a review of his 1911 grips.
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline KenTuck

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2007, 04:36:08 PM »
First, Thanks to all that took the time to help me out and answer my questions.  I really appreciate your insight.

That Book of Cool is pretty… Cool. lol   That guy can really spin them guns.  That was a whole lot fancier spinning than I was thinking of doing.  :o  I still ordered it to see if I could gleam any tips from it.  8) Thanks…

DQ…  I assumed that’s what it meant, but every time I “ass-u-me” things…   ;D Thanks for clearing that up.   ;)

Well I got the New Vaquero.  In the end; buying American was the deal breaker.   I try to buy American when I can even if it’s a few bucks more.  I have not had a chance to get the range, but hope to soon.

Thanks for the info on the grips.  I ended up going with the Ultra Pearl Grips in the gunfighter style from Eagle Grips.  Their pearl grips are made here is the US of A also!  They were a little more than I wanted to spend, but they are hand made and are supposed to be top of line grips.

Eagle Grips Website:
http://www.eaglegrips.com/ultraip.htm

Now I have my eye on a Dillon’s "Doc Holliday" Shoulder Holster Rig that I read about over on Gun Blast.
http://www.gunblast.com/Dillon_Holliday.htm

Thanks again,

Ken

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2007, 06:50:00 AM »
Those grips look really fine on those glossy Rugers.   I think pearl finished grips look the best with either nickle or high gloss stainless.  Great choice!!  Safe shooting.  Deadeye.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline Will Dearborn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Faugh an Ballagh
    • My Place on myspace
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2007, 09:04:58 PM »
Can you wear a shoulder holster and compete in SASS?

Will
                                                -Roland of Gilead
SASS #75873
RATS #359
SBSS #2032
SCORRS
GAF #467

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com