Author Topic: For BJD: Heads Up! The Feds are coming!  (Read 4659 times)

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
For BJD: Heads Up! The Feds are coming!
« on: November 17, 2004, 03:23:22 PM »
BJD, saw on Fox today that the Feds are going to be inspecting the UP very closely because of the increase of accidents lately. watch you don't step on any............Buck 8) ::) :o ;D ;D
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Micheal Fortune

• Top Active Citizen
    • Micheal Fortune
  • Liked:
Re: For BJD: Heads Up! The Feds are coming!
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 03:34:33 PM »
It's Fox and Scully, from the X files, case of the 50 missing sheep, don't you know...... ;)
Saloon Keeper, Gambler, Shootist
Sun River Rangers Shooting Society / SASS 60159 / R.O.-1 / SBSS 1685 / G.O.F.W.G. 89 / RATS 58 / KGC 4 /

Offline Uncle Eph

• Top Active Citizen
  • Never trust anything designed after 1912
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2004, 03:40:16 PM »
watch yer topknot there BJD. ;D
WARTHOG, GAF #364, SASS #53354, BOLD #549, SBSS #1483, STORM #5, NRA, CRSO, ASSRA, SDOP, SUV, GOFWG #19, 7-7-79 SNL WINNER

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:17:54 PM »

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2004, 05:31:24 PM »
Just hide the lambs.... ::)
Fast horses for sale, Discount for newly minted gold coins, no questions asked....

Offline Boston John Doucette

• Wistful Dreamer
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2004, 06:16:07 PM »
This is actually the result of the Union Pacific's request for the FRA (Federal Railroad Administration) to become involved as a result of yet another tragic fatality at our San Antonio facility, which has had five fatalities since May.

In this one, a non-UP employee was killed and another seriously injured while a UP train crew was shoving cars into a cold-storage (customer) facility. The deceased and injured were employees of that facility.

Within the last three weeks, though, there have been two fatalties of Union Pacific crewmen.

A conductor with just one year's service was "riding the point" of a shove-- that is, riding on the leading car as engines shoved cars ahead of them-- when the car derailed. The young man was thrown from the car and crushed beneath it.

In another incident, a conductor with 27 years on the job was about to do a roll-by inspection of a passing train.
(When a train is sitting idle on a track and another passes, we are required to exit our train and inspect the passing train from a safe distance, looking for dragging equipment, shifted loads, unbalanced cars... anything out of the ordinary.)
As the conductor was exiting his train he stepped right into the path of the oncoming train he was going to roll-by, killing him instantly.

Most railroad fatalities and injuries could be avoided with more care and caution.
People have NO IDEA how quickly a car can move, how quietly they move, or how unforgivingly deadly they are! CARELESSNESS AND COMPLACENCY will cost you your life on the railroad.

I've caught myself taking some shortcuts from time to time... and I have reaffirmed my personal committment to the safety of Ol' BJD, believe me!

Every time I go to work, I say a prayet that God will work by our sides, watch over and protect us, and return us home safely and soundly at the end of our shift.
And when I reach the depot, I thank Him for granting my prayers.

Railroaders make a good living because of the lousy hours, the lack of adequate rest, the terrible eating habits... and the DANGER of the profession.
I equate it to military combat pay.
Every time I go to work could be my last.
I trust no one but myself-- and sometimes, I need to be reminded that I'M not that trustworthy as regards my own safety.

The winter is here... and cars move silently and deadly on snow covered tracks. One's head must be on a swivel at all times, expecting the unexpected, and a trainman has GOT to be AWARE of what's going on around him every second he's outside the engine.

Old timers get complacent because nothing serious has ever happened to them, so they get careless-- and killed.
New hires don't have the respect for the danger that they'll eventually develop and must be watched over carefully... especially the young ones, who've never been in a life-or-death situation. They think they're invincible and quick enough to dodge danger.
It just don't happen that way!

So when you say your prayers, I'd appreciate it if you'd add a little one for my crews and me every once and awhile.
I love the work... and part of it is the excitement that comes from working within a potentially lethal environment.
But I view my job the same way I do my passion for firearms: carelessness, complacency and inattention will get me killed.

BJD
I love my dogs, I'm real attached to my guns, and I'm right partial to my wife.

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2004, 10:38:57 AM »
So when you say your prayers, I'd appreciate it if you'd add a little one for my crews and me every once and awhile.
I love the work... and part of it is the excitement that comes from working within a potentially lethal environment.
But I view my job the same way I do my passion for firearms: carelessness, complacency and inattention will get me killed.

BJD

Consider it done!
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Offline Stoney Pete

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2004, 10:53:37 AM »

BJD
I really like the way you put this.

If it can't be nice, eaten, make money, create comfort or provide real pleasure.........kill it or trade it in on new one!

Offline Lucky Irish Tom

• Drunken Irish Darksider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • If I can't see the targets neither can the spotter
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2004, 11:20:02 AM »
You and your crews have my prayers BJD, I used to work on the waterfront and can attest first hand to how quickly a situation becomes dangerous with a bit of carelessness or inattention.
If ya can't be fast it's good to be Lucky!
Official Irish Whiskey Taster
SASS 40271, WARTHOG, Darksider, Dirty RATS, RO2

Offline Jose Grande

• Very Active Citizen
  • Sharps-Long Distance Operator
    • Jose's Website
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2004, 11:43:27 PM »
Very true words there,BJD. When I worked for what is now the Canadian Central I felt the same way.
He shouldn't ought'a decorated his saloon with my friend.
Well now.......yall gonna pull them pistols or whistle Dixie ?

Offline Boston John Doucette

• Wistful Dreamer
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2004, 01:11:30 PM »
Thanks, amigos.
I really appreciate the support.

I worked the yard in a snowstorm the other night... what a challenge!
The cars wouldn't roll and we couldn't get the engines to stop!

It's absolutely amazing how quietly a car will roll on a snow-covered rail... those things will sneak up on you and kill you in an instant... and it doesn't help when you're all bundled up against the wind and snow and can't hear anyway!

But... the nation moves on the rails, and I continue to do my part.
It's really sobering when a munitions or military train comes through the yard with equipment being deployed to Iraq.
I say a little prayer for the young men and women who've chosen the high road, rather than the easy way out.
God love 'em!

BJD
I love my dogs, I'm real attached to my guns, and I'm right partial to my wife.

Offline Old Top

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2004, 10:01:50 PM »
Boston John,

With out efforts like yours, of the movement of supplys, they would be in a pickle.  The whole effort depends upon people doing the jobs they are suppose to do and needed to do.  The prayers never go unappriciated and they send them back with thanks, and your thought that they have taken the high road is not far from the truth.  I talked to my son in law today and for their Thanksgiving they were extended for another three months so his Christmas will be delayed for a bit, offered to trade with him but he declined the offer as I do not know morters and his platoon leader doesn't understand them all that well either, but he said he would if they stuffed him in infantry again.  They all appriciate the effort that many are doing for them and have let me know.

Old Top
I only shoot to support my reloading habit.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com