Author Topic: Got a few questions  (Read 4583 times)

Offline Frenchie

• "We have met the enemy, and he is us." - Pogo
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Photo by Julio Zangroniz @ "September Storm", 2007
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Got a few questions
« on: November 13, 2004, 11:39:53 PM »
Okay, one of these days I'll be reloading a bunch of .44-40 cases with BP and I'd like some advice. I'll be using Elephant FFg. I'll get a single-stage press as speed and volume aren't big considerations. I'll make my own lube and get a sizer. What bullet(s) would work well in a Rossi 92? Primers? What can I do to prolong case life?
Yours, &c.,

Guy 'Frenchie' LaFrance
Vous pouvez voir par mes vĂȘtements que je ne suis pas un cowboy.

Offline T.J. McSuds

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Got a few questions
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2004, 05:57:15 AM »
 I can not speak on the Rossi. I use mag pistol primers. To get the most use from your brass, don't let them sit around after firing. Place them in a jug with water and a little dish soap. Rinse as soon as you can, dry and tumble them.
T.J. McSuds
 Double Duelist Darksider, Warthog, BOLD, SBSS, NRA, IDPA.

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2004, 11:34:11 AM »
The .44 MAV will do the job very well. It is one of the Big Lube groove boolits that have been designed by CAS shooters.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:32:28 PM »

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2004, 04:09:18 PM »
Any good multi groove round nose flat point slug should work fine in that Rossi. The MAV would probably be best, but most any slug with good sized lube grooves will werk.

Primers: Lots of pards claim to have better success with magnum primers. My experiance however has been that primers don't make much, if any difference, in the "pistol" calibers I use Winchesters because they are listed fer mag or standard loads.

Case Life: as already noted, have a jug of soapy water handy to drop yer cases in after firing. Leave em in there until ya get home, drain, rinse, drain again and set em out to dry before puttin' em in yer tumbler.
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Offline Cactus Cris

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2004, 07:08:32 PM »
Cuts-  I have tried the" put them in wet" method the last 2 times I did the cases & they seemed to come out brighter and clean inside better.  Not sure why.  I put Brasso in the walnut, let it dry completely, run for 2-3 min. to spread the dry clumps, , then dump the cases in after I rinse them off ( have them in jug with orange clean for 1-2 days)  Never put wet Brasso on case's- makes them brittle.  Works fer me anyway.
Darksider- Gpa of 5- Rabid  C&Br,   DGB, Scorrs, ACSA, RSCAS,TONTO RIMM,  SASS #2790, 31 & counting Clean match's

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2004, 07:42:02 AM »
Howdy Frenchie,

Send me yer snail mail address and I'll send ya a handful of Mav Dutchman bullets to evaluate.  I'll be gathering a batch order for molds after the holidays.

DD-DLoS

rrhody@spwl.net
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

44caliberkid

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2004, 09:22:56 AM »
DO get a Mav-Dutchman mold from Dick Dastardly.  Size to .427 or .428. I use the Lee sizer die just because it's cheap. Lube using the pan method outlined by Driftwood Johnson on the Frontier Spot Darksiders page, it works great.  The flat base of the bullet obturates (?) very well in the bore.  Use large magnum pistol primers, I like Federal.  Fill the case 1/8 to 1/16 inch from the top, seat the bullet, crimp, and you are done.  Don't use fillers, wads, or any of that stuff. If you use the Mav bullet you will not get excessive fouling.  My best advice for case life is to try to keep your "pards" from steppin' on it after you shoot, and hope they find most of them.

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2004, 10:56:46 AM »
Howdy Frenchie!

I have one of those 92s and mine feeds whatever goes into it.  The first loads I made for BP had to have a 230 gr. Semi-wadcutter (intended for 45 ACP) 'cause that's all I had on hand.  Due to the angle that a 92 feeds, it did just fine.  On the other hand, my 66 will only feed Round Nose or Round Nosed Flat Point due to chambering straight in-line from the carrier.  The SWCs caught the cartridge mouth nearly every time.  I was glad that I had made a dummy round and tried it at home instead of the range, 'cause I was sure  the 66 would feed, but I wasn't sure about the 92!  Go figure.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline J.D. Stawker

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2004, 03:40:16 PM »
When I tested them mag primers gave a little higher velocity and much more uniform velocity. Don't know if it made any difference in accuracy or not. Fouling wasn't different.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com