Author Topic: Would an Armi Sport Spencer Buttstock work on my Original Spencer??????  (Read 6517 times)

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Hello SSS,

I have an original 1860 Spencer which is in pretty good shape until you look at the stock.  It has a number of serious cracks, gouges and breaks in it.  Does anyone know if an Armi Sport Spencer buttstock would work as a replacement stock for my original Spencer?

Any opinions out there before I invest in one?

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline Appalachian Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Appalachian Ed------ NCOWS N-SSA/CSA - 2nd KY
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I would doubt it. I've been told the Italian copies are not dimensionally correct. Try Larry Romano. He can cut you a correct stock.
"We believed then that we were right and we believe now that we were right then."
- John H. Lewis, 9th Va. Infantry

Offline Bead Swinger

• Bead Swinger
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Evans New Model
  • Liked:
Two Flints -
I don't have a clue, but it would seem unlikely.
Have you contacted S&S firearms?  They used to carry a replacement rear stock.  I don't know if they still do, but you never know what they might have and not have listed.

Beadswinger
1860 Rifle SN 23954

Advertising

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
Both S&S Firearms and Dixie Gun Works handled replacement buttstocks of American Walnut.

Contacting either is a far better idea than putting Italian replacement wood onto the piece.

Depending on what's wrong - your stock's generally going to be worth the time and effort to rebuild.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
St. George,

Last word from SS Firearms was that their Spencer stocks were unavailable, since last November.  According to Phil at SS, there were problems with the "new" company making them, and he did not elaborate.

I just thought the Armi Sport Spencer stock might be a quick fix for me until something else came along.

Two Flints 

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1664
   Greetings, TwoFlints!

My first thought is for you to call Larry Romano; he could do the magic! If you just wanted something solid & safe for shooting, you can look into reenforcing the original stock; I believe that I saw an article along those lines in either Black Powder Cartridge News, or the Single Shot Exchange. I'll poke around, and see what I can find.

Be Well!

M.T.Marfield:.
                5-6-07

Offline Mick Archer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  Howdy Pards!

I don't have one of each to "trial and error."

As shared though, generally "Italian" repro stuff is only "simiilar" and not exactly so it will NOT "pop in."  NUG, the Italians make things larger and bulkier than oriignal.  That can be a small "plus" as "oversized" wood can be taken down to fit.  However, IMHO, the is still a great danger of the mortising for the frame and the mortiising for the buttplate may be off enough to leave gaps requiring advanced skillful magic cosmetic splicing or filling (which IMHO is rarely invisible).

Plus, if it is a factor or concern, the originals are Pennsylvania grown American Black Walnut which is not the same color range, grain and texture pattern, or density as the Northern Italian "Hardwood" the repro Italian stock wood is...

I have a great deal of experience modifying Italiian Civil War repro Springfields and Enfields, including trying to swap "more authentic" and actual reproductions of original or actual original parts and they NEVER "drop in."  Some cannot be "made" to fit at all....

At the rate of what we get for the U.S. Dollar versus the Euro these days, Italian parts can be pricey any more.  Even if one orders a stock and visually determines it does not work or cannot be made to work0- one is still out the postage costs and time to return it.

As shared, I would try Dixie (but remember these are not "drop in" replacement stocks, and typically are 85%-90% mortised and shaped....  and IMHO, Romano may be the an alternative worth looking into..

Mick Archer

Mick Archer and his evil twin brother Faux Cowchild

Offline Appalachian Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Appalachian Ed------ NCOWS N-SSA/CSA - 2nd KY
  • Liked:
There is a Spencer Stock for sale on Ebay right know. Run a search for Spencer Carbine and you will find it.
"We believed then that we were right and we believe now that we were right then."
- John H. Lewis, 9th Va. Infantry

Offline Bead Swinger

• Bead Swinger
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Evans New Model
  • Liked:
1860 Rifle SN 23954

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
It looks like a carbine stock, as it has the sling baqr cut on the left side.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com