Author Topic: I am revising myself...HELP  (Read 3519 times)

Offline CMPoppin

• Citizen
    • C.M. Poppin's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I am revising myself...HELP
« on: November 11, 2004, 12:24:12 PM »
 ??? ???  OK, I've been in CAS for awhile, but just hte site of seeing that black powder smoke go, just gives me the tickles.  So, being I am fixin' to redo my personna, I really want to try that black powder.  Here's a few questions...

1)  Can I use a cartridge in my revolvers, rifle, and shotgut, or do they have to be muzzleloaders?

2)  If I can use cartridges and shot shells, where might a feller purchase same?  (I can't reload due to physical problems.)

3) Would 7 1/2 in barrels be better than 5 1/2 in barrels?

4) Would ya buy a different set of pistols etc, just for black powder?

Any info would be appreciated...

Thanks

C.M.
Proud Member of the Rollin' Rangers.

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: I am revising myself...HELP
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2004, 12:53:41 PM »
Howdy Pard,

To answer some of yer queries: No need to buy different gunz, yer regular CAS weapons will werk jist fine with BP cartridges....no need fer frontstuffers!

Barrel length: Go with what ya like! BP doesn't care how long a tube it's goin through!

No I wouldn't buy a different set jist fer BP, won't hurt mind ya but I wouldn't ;)

BP Ammo is available commercially but I don't know the sources. I'll bet there are any number of pards who will jump in here with those! ;D

Can't wait to hear yer first report on shootin the Darkside in a match! ;D 8)  ;D 8)
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Offline Singing Bear

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2004, 05:14:23 PM »
No need to change guns unless you want to try your luck with cap and ball revolvers. 

Like Cuts said about commercially available BP ammo.  You may find them a bit on the expensive side, though.  If you know of anyone already reloading BP ammo, they may be willing to load for you.  I know I would anyways.  For me, all you'd have to do is provide all the loading components.  Ask some of the BP shooters in your club.  I'm sure any of them would be more than happy to help you out. :)

If circumstances allowed it, I'd certainly buy another set just for BP.....just to have more guns.  But I got mouths to feed and a mortgage to pay.  ;D  Your situation will probably be different and the decision is your's to make.   ;)

Good luck and let us know how things work out for ya.  :)

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:59:14 AM »

Offline Lt. Col Mark Flint

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2004, 05:29:53 PM »
Black Dawge sells ammo at about 11 bucks a box for shotgun and 15-20 depending on caliber for the pistol/rifle ammo.  Fairly expensive, but since you do not reload, you are already getting used to high ammo prices.

One word of advice-water

Don't fear water as a cleaning solution-it is your best friend, no smell, no residue no chemicals, virtually no cost.  Sure you have to dry and displace it, but so what?  once you have done so your firearm is better protected than any smokeless shooters firearm.

Cowboys did not have WD 40 or Ballistol or Kroil or any of the fancy stuff.  They had whale oil and water and lye soap and many old guns came through with perfect bores.

Offline Doctor Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • "You ever see a scientist draw a gun?"
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2004, 06:40:13 AM »
Mark is right about the cleaning.  The perfect solvent for a BP clean-up is warm water with some soap.  Once you are done just be sure to get the shooting irons dry and oiled.  Some folks use a compressed air line to blow the water out.  I have heard of people putting them in the oven on "warm".  I even read about one fellow who shot cap and ball who just took the grips off his pistols and ran them through the dishwasher  :o .  My routine after cleaning is to just dry them off well with paper towels and an old hair dryer then lube like crazy with Ballistol and wipe off the excess oil and put the shooting irons away.

Good luck and enjoy making smoke.

Doctor Bill
Remington Revolver Shooter
Warthog
League of the South
Alchemist and brewmeister extraordinaire

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com