Author Topic: 'Medicine Bill' William Averill Comstock  (Read 4283 times)

Henry4440

'Medicine Bill' William Averill Comstock
« on: April 18, 2007, 10:18:01 AM »
St. George means try posting this one over at 'The Barracks' as well.So here it is.

Where can i found more about 'Medicine Bill' William Averill Comstock(1842-1868).
He was the favorite scout of General Phil Sheridan and General Armstrong Cuter. He was nationally known as the "Ace of Scouts." Because of his prowess with a rifle he also had earned the title of "Buffalo Bill."Yeah, that  nickname originally referred to Bill Comstock.
Charles E. Chase, an old Indian fighter said in published comments. "Cody was a good man, but Comstock - and I am not alone in this - was a better man."
 :)

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
Re: 'Medicine Bill' William Averill Comstock
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 10:44:01 AM »
I'll reply here too.

Comstock gets a pretty good write up in The Scouts of the Time-Life Old West Series.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Henry4440

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 10:54:09 AM »
Comstock's story ended a few months after the contest with Cody. He was reportedly ambushed and killed by Indians, but others believe he was killed by another scout known as "Sharp" Grover, who survived the ambush and shortly after the incident took over Comstock's ranch.
Bill Comstock's body lies in an unmarked grave, so far as we know, in the old Fort Wallace Post Cemetery in the State of Kansas. He met his death on August 27, 1868, in his twenty-sixth year. For the winning of the west, in such a short span of time, few men did more.

;)

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:50:22 PM »

Henry4440

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 11:04:24 AM »
I'll reply here too.

Comstock gets a pretty good write up in The Scouts of the Time-Life Old West Series.

Books

Thanks a lot.Just send Bootsie an Email. ;D
 ;)

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180