Author Topic: Newbie question  (Read 5796 times)

Offline jrdudas

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Newbie question
« on: November 11, 2004, 08:49:51 AM »
OK, now please don't take this question the wrong way and keep in mind that it's a newbie asking.

Based on the few SASS TV shows that I have seen, the emphasis seems to be entirely on "speed" during competition with almost no interest in the type of guns used or the history thereof.  I realize that competition must be measured by some criteria, but the concentration on the "speed" element seems to leave out most of the fun.

I am quite interested in CAS but am somewhat disappointed that the issue of "speed" seems to drive the entire sport.  Is there no room for folks who enjoy the history element of the sport.

Any thoughts, thanks in advance for your responses.

J.R.Dudas

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
Re: Newbie question
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2004, 09:44:40 AM »
Don’t believe everything (anything?) you see on TV.  The large majority of CAS shooters are in it for the fun, the people you get to meet, and the chance just to be a kid, playing cowboy again.  The only speed I’ve ever looked at, is whether I can miss fast enough to win!
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Offline Jax Orebetter

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Jax's Poker Table
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2004, 10:21:32 AM »
First off, HOWDY!!

I've been doing CAS for about 6 years and I have never won a big match, as a matter of fact, the only time I won my catagory was when a bunch of members were away at EOT.  ;)  When I was shooting smokeless duelist I was a middle of the pack shooter. Now I shoot frontier cartrige duelist and I am a middle of the pack shooter. If the only reason I was doing this was to win, I would have quit a long time ago. So far I have shot matches in 7 states and met more fine people than I can even think about naming. I have also shot with some of the top shooters in this game. They are a lot of fun to watch, and every one of them is more than willing to help you out and give advice, if you ask. I think one of the reasons they key in on the top shooters on TV is because they are so good.
Time to fold,
Jax Orebetter
~WARTHOG~

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:11:06 PM »

Offline Mule Clanton

• Doc
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2004, 11:14:25 AM »
I shoot in the Elder Statesman category and I am also a greenhorn with five matches under my belt. I think your assessment is correct in the emphasis on speed---there is always a bunch in any organization that will have to be winners at any cost. In my category and at 74 I do not run, even though I am in better shape than guys ten or more years younger. I am strictly out there to extend my youth and HAVE FUN . If the others want to win all the time---let them knock themselves out, I have my own agenda and that is FUN . I was beseiged with all kinds of advice to get action jobs on my Vaqueros and Marlin 1894, to what avail SPEED---three brand new guns that are excellent right out of the box---didn't make sense to me. It's the old mine is bigger than yours attitude and added to the desire to be the "King of the Mountain."  Now that ain't bad---it's not for me so I don't knock it---I WANT FUN and that's where I personally draw the line. It's what I want to take away from the game and not what others perceive as my goals.BTW I won my category twice so far with one "clean" match no procedurals or misses.
"Fair Dinkum & Good On You"
Postulant at the Shrine of the Holy Black
NRA LIFE~SASS~SCORRS~DARKSIDER
PGK~PFN

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2004, 02:35:04 PM »
The next Cowboy Action Shooter show that is going to be on is concentrating on frontier cartridge at the Mason Dixon Stampede I believe.  Be sure to watch that one.  You'll see some pretty fast guys there but they are usually more worried about how much smoke they can make than anything.   ;D
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Ailean Mac an Daroch

• Citizen
  • Which Century am I in Today???
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2004, 06:28:49 PM »
I usually read a lot and post only a little, but I will join in this one with my 2 cents. 
I understand the question very well as I too am new to CAS.  But I am quite old to competition on both a national and even international scale.  It literally can take over your life if you let it....and I did.  But this past week I entered my first CAS shoot with a borrowed rifle, my daddy's old shotgun, and my own 2 colts.  I had a blast!  Sure, I came in 2nd to dead last in the whole deal, but I had FUN again.  (BTW- Lou Graham and Snake-eyes were two of the neat people that made it so nice).
The point is, for all the awards and honors, having FUN (and the hokey pokey?) is really what it is all about.  I had forgotten that. 

Worry about speed later.  Life's too short.  Have fun.
Life should never end in a wimper, but with a beer in one hand, chocolate in the other and a scream coming from your lips, "YEE HAH! What a ride!"
Ailean Mac an Daroch

In your Service,
Ailean Mac an Daroch

Bullet wounds gladly made or mended
Two Colts - no waiting!
Warthog Poet Laureate

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2004, 09:40:18 AM »
I have three goals in this game/sport. First - have fun. If I stop having fun I will pack it up. Second - make as much smoke and noise with my guns as possible. When the RO/Timer backs away from me when I am shooting and people are choking 'cuz of the smoke, I have achieved goal #2. Third - not to finish last in a match. I am usually near the bottom of the pack. So, I am not so concerned about speed that it overshadows the "fun factor".

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline jrdudas

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2004, 04:01:47 PM »
Thanks to all who responded; it's good to know that many (or most) of CAS participants are interested in the fun aspect of the sport.  Competing is fun also, as long as it does not become the driving force in the game.

Thanks,  John

Offline Paper Chaser

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2004, 11:47:54 AM »
Well, I have my CAS goals:
1.  Have Fun
2.  Be accurate
3.  Be fast

Remember, a SLOW hit is so much better than a FAST miss! Shooting a clean match gives me a lot more satisfaction than a faster
match with one or more misses, and it's fun to not miss.
SASS #54926
Mississippi Peacemakers,NatchezSixgunners
BOLD #H13
GAF #310; SBSS #1415; SCORRS

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com