Author Topic: What are ya packing?  (Read 38354 times)

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: What are ya packing?
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2004, 01:19:02 PM »
Arabela Kid,

I got in touch with Steve Young and he doesn't have any .44 mags in stock at the moment, but did advise that EMF has some on back order at this time. He's keeping an eye out and will let me know if he finds some.
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Offline Capt. Jack McQuesten

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2004, 07:36:59 PM »
Cuts,

Thanks for the info. I am going to have to hold off until I can afford another rifle. I just picked up my second RV last month and now I am working on my leather rig (see that post and let me know). Next time I am marrying for money and not for love!!!!
SASS #56937  BOLD #527  RATS #120  WARTHOG
"There's payment to be made to them thats done this...."

Offline Paper Chaser

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2004, 06:43:31 PM »
Howdy, Arabela, depending on how the arthritis in the hands is acting up,  I'll pack one of the following rigs:
1.  Beretta Stampede & Schofield (7")[45 Colt]   or
2.  Great Western II Californians (pair)[38/357] or
3.  Beretta Stampede & Colt Cowboy [45 Colt]

Rifle: Rossi '92 38/357
SASS #54926
Mississippi Peacemakers,NatchezSixgunners
BOLD #H13
GAF #310; SBSS #1415; SCORRS

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 11:59:21 PM »

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2004, 07:02:45 PM »
I have  Two Ruger Blackhawks (357 Mag), a Ruger Blackhawk(45 Colt), a Ruger Vaquero (45 Colt), and a Remongton Outlaw (45 Colt).  I also have a Model 92 Rossi(357),  Winchester 94 (45 Colt),  a Chinese 1897 Pump,and a Russian SXS.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2004, 10:07:19 PM »
Paper Chaser,

How do you like the Berettas? I haven not had a chance to handle them, but the pictures I have seen look pretty nice.
Hey Texas Lawdawg, how do you like your .45 winchester 94? Has it given you any problems? I have a 94 in .44 mag, but I have not shot in a match yet, so I don't know how it is going to work in competition. It seems to work fine for just everyday shooting. As you can see from my earlier posts, I am leaning towards a Cimarron 73' in .44 spl., but I see there are a bunch of folks that shoot the Rossi 92's, so who knows, I may end up with one of those.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2004, 05:49:54 PM »
Arabela Kid, The 45 Colt Winchester is still new. I havent any problems with it, but it has not been "worked on". My Rossi 92 has been.  It will not chamber 38 spl round nose bullets.  I use 357 cases and they work fine.  Thats the only draw back to the Rossi.   I have just recently started shooting 45Colt. I started out shooting 38 spl. first because I had a couple of Ruger Blackhawks (357) and the Rossi 92 in 357.  Cops never seem to have enough guns.  My next purchase will be a EMF Stallion in 38spl to carry in a Doc Holliday shoulder rig.  As far as gun rigs go, San Pedro leather is hard to beat.  I had an occasion to fly to Arizona onan extradition. I had to drive on the other side of Tombstone.  I stopped in and visited with them.  I had purchased a gunbelt that was not the right size and they exchanged it without any problems.  I gotta ask you what is WARTHOG?
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2004, 08:12:53 PM »
TL,

I was just wondering about your Winchester as I have read that some folks don't like to use them in matches due to the long lever throw. My .44 magnum 94' shoots great with the magnum loads, but I have not tried it with .44 specials yet, so I don't know how it will run in a match. I still have a hankering for a 73' in .44 special, but that is going to take some convincing of the lovely bride and saving a few more pennies. I just got my leather rig together. It is a combination of a lined, two loop,  crossdraw holster from San Pedro Saddlery, a strongside single loop holster (maker unknown, picked it up on Ebay for $30!) and a COWS "Trail" cartridge belt. As I get more invloved in CAS I am going to pick up another San Pedro Saddlery strong side holster and another gunbelt so everything matches. As for the term "WARTHOG", it  refers to anyone who shoots .40 caliber or larger guns in matches. You should check out this site: http://www.frontierspot.org/ and scroll down to the "WARTHOG" forum.... it is a hoot!

Offline Utah Bob

• Top Active Citizen
    • Lazy Bob Ranch
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2004, 09:54:42 AM »
I will shoot anything that makes noise. Right now I am using a .45 SS Sheriffs Model RV, a .45 Blued 4 5/8" RV, a .45 94 Marlin and a Stoeger 12ga. Sometimes use two .44 Pietta Navies for fun.
Rocky Mountain Warthog
BOLD #1
GAF #6
Proprietor - Lazy Bob Ranch
No cattle, No crops, No problem

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2004, 07:10:31 PM »
 I have heard about Steve and his work on the Rossis.  He is a fellow Texan and I think he lives in Port Arthur, Texas.  His wife does ceramics and she will do a Personalized SASS mug for about $30.  I have had some work done on my Rossi 357, but it will not feed 38spl round nose.  Sometime when I know that I am going to Beaumont to pick up prisoners, I am going to take the Rossi and leave it with him. I think he charges about $80. for a complete job.  Rossis are his specialty.  I don't bet to CAS shoot very much. I'm off on the weekends and I travel all over Texas and out of state during the week.  I hope when I retire in 4or 5 more years that I can reallym get serious about it.  I Think my wife will be glad for me to have some type of hobby after 40 years as a Cop.    When Steve workd on my rifle i will report firsthand how much better it functions.

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2004, 07:49:09 AM »
TL,

I'm one of the lucky ones I guess, my .357 Rossi will feed anything I put in tube! ;D (it's so slick I can put EMPTY 38 Special brass in the mag and it'll feed it through without a hitch!)

But, I recently had a chance to talk with a pard that has a mold for the Snakebite 357 slug. He made the loan of it to me and I cast a bunch and loaded them in 38 Special brass. (According to my Pard, these are the only slugs that feed reliably through his Marlin in 38 brass) When loaded with the crimp in the crimp groove they are nearly as long as .357s but will still chamber in my 38 Special Open Top.

Although the design was intended for use with black powder, they werk jist fine with smokeless. If you can locate someone in your area who has one of these molds, you should try to talk him out a few to try in yer Rossi, I'll bet they will function better than those Round Nose slugs in  38 Special brass!
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Offline Sweetwater Jack

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2004, 09:59:46 PM »
My main match guns are (right now, anyway) a pair of AWA "Ultimate '73s", and an AWA Lightning, all in .38-40, with a Chas. Daly Liberty II 12 gage mule-ear for my shotgun. None have been "slicked". Rifle and pistolas don't need it, and I haven't found a 'smith to reduce the 600 pound hammer springs on the SxS. ;)

SWJ
SASS Life/Regulator, #28885
Territorial Governor for Merlin Marauders and Hawkinsville Claim Jumpers, BOLD #127 GAF #13

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2004, 02:17:46 PM »
I recently acquired a Ruger  Vaquero in 45 LC and a Uberti Outlaw Remington 1875 in 45 LC.  I bought a Winchester 94E in 45 LC. and a Russian made 12ga SXS.

Offline dixie leah belle

• Miss Dixie Leah Belle
  • Citizen
  • A southern belle that kicks butt
    • single action shooters for christ
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2004, 08:22:24 AM »
 :)My favorite pistols are my husband's old Navy arms .45colt peacemakers and his 1897 winchester. I also use a coach dbl barrel shotgun. But, whatever you are packing use it well and shoot straigth
SASS #48685
Bold #550
SASFC # 001
NRA
I love God, this country, and my ranger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2004, 06:53:41 PM »
I am thinking switching to my longer barreled Rugers for match use as my eyes ain't what they used to be. It would limit me to the "Modern" catagory though as they have adjustable sights.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2004, 10:40:43 PM »
I have rumors that SASS is thinking about doing away with the Modern category?  Any truth to that rumor?

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2004, 12:55:22 PM »
Tex,

I have not heard of them considering eliminating the "Modern" class. I wonder why they would do that..... too many classes ya think?

Offline Capt. Hamp Cox

• Top Active Citizen
  • 1937 Ford & 1941 Hamp in 1947
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2004, 04:21:56 PM »
I shoot a pair of stainless 5 1/2" RVs and a Marlin 1894, all in .44 Mag, and a short barrel single trigger version of the Savage/Stevens 311 in 12 ga.  Texana shoots a pair of blue 5 1/2" RVs and a Marlin 1894, all in .357 Mag, and a short barrel Fox Model "B" in 20 ga.  Our son, Johnny Q, shoots a pair of blue 5 1/2" Cimmaron Mod."P"s and his great grandfather's Win. Mod 92 octagon barrel rifle, all in .38-40 Win., and a short barrel Rossi Coach Gun in 12 ga.

Since I do the loading for all of us, it goes without saying that I keep a Dillon RL550b and two MECs pretty well exercised.

Offline Uncle Eph

• Top Active Citizen
  • Never trust anything designed after 1912
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2004, 06:17:36 PM »
ol' Hext came up with the storm idea and I already had one 72 open top so now I decide to buy another and get me a yellowboy, already got me a SxS.

I got me a new character: early 1870s buffalo runner, that goes along with my buff shooting and my namesake. ;D
WARTHOG, GAF #364, SASS #53354, BOLD #549, SBSS #1483, STORM #5, NRA, CRSO, ASSRA, SDOP, SUV, GOFWG #19, 7-7-79 SNL WINNER

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2004, 07:53:07 PM »
On the question of eliminating the Modern category, the consensus of the Territorial Governors at EOT was don’t bother trying to fix something that ain’t broke.  The original idea was that the adjustable sight gave an advantage (when was the last time you saw someone try to adjust his Ruger sights during a match).  What was discussed was merging the Modern into the Traditional.  This was brought up at Winter Range.  Don’t think it will even be on the agenda at to Governors meeting in Vegas.  So I don't see the Modern class going away for awhile.  And yes it was to try to lessen the number of categories.
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2004, 03:29:12 PM »
Rusty,

First off that is a great moniker you have there! Thanks for the info on the "Modern class" issue. I agree that there are few, if any, pards that actually fool with their adjustable sights during a match. I fee that the reason behing the class difference was more to maintain the traditional "Look" than trying to limit any  advantage the adjustable sight guns have over the fixed sight guns for the average shooter. This gives me an idea for a new post: Adjustable vs. Fixed sights.....which do you prefer?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com