Author Topic: .36 cal. remington value  (Read 9148 times)

Offline buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
.36 cal. remington value
« on: March 31, 2007, 04:41:15 PM »
howdy pards,
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            my neighbor came over today with a used .36 cal. remmy and asked if I might be interested in buying it.  It looks like it has been shot a lot but still in pretty good shape.  The bore looks shiny and the bluing is not in to bad of shape.   He asked me what it might be worth.  I didnt know but told him I would ask my cowboy pards and find out for him.  I really dont need it but if the price is right....hmmmm 

thanks for any help

Offline Dusty Morningwood

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: .36 cal. remington value
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 05:29:41 PM »
Who made it?  That might be one factor to consider.  Also the availability of replacement parts.

Offline buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 08:15:53 PM »
  I couldnt find a name on it...it just said .36 caliber , new army, blackpowder...and it had a lot of proof marks on it. 
  I guess I can look at it again tomorrow and see if I can get more info from it.
  It was a lot smaller than my .44 cal pietta remmy.  It had a brass trigger guard.

I will look at it again tomorrow...after my cowboy shoot.  YAHOO !!  gonna shoot guns tomorrow!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:30:00 PM »

Offline Halfway Creek Charlie

• AKA Old Dragoon,The Gunslinger and other no so polite names...
  • Top Active Citizen
  • My Wyatte Earp Impression
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 09:59:22 PM »
A Lot Smaller?? Sound like possibly an Euroarms. Look under the rammer or take the grips off and look for a DGG, also look to ssee if it has the threads exposed at the breech like your Pietta, if not then it's probably an Euroarms/Armi San Paolo (same Co.).

Take some digital pictures and post them and maybe we cam help. I've bought them used (all makes from as little as $65.00 to $180.00 new ones arn't that much more than the high end you find.

Pictures would help.
SAS-76873
NCOWS-2955
SCORRS
STORM-243
WARTHOG

Shooting History (original), Remy NMA Conversions, 1863 New Model Pocket Model C.F. Conversion, Remy Model 1889 12Ga. Coach Gun
2nd. Gen. "C" Series Colt 1851 Navies
Centennial Arms/Centaur 1860 Armies
1860 Civilian Henry 45LC (soon to be 44 Henry Flat C.F.(Uberti)
Remingon Creedmore Rolling Block 45-70 (Pedersoli)

"Cut his ears off and send them to that Marshall in Sheridan" Prentice Ritter

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Offline buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 06:59:36 PM »
well here it is compared to my .44  I was wrong...the frame is kind of close in size.  also I now see it is a EUROARMS-BRESCIA made in Italy.

I would like find out the value of it even if I dont buy it. ( the mrs. is holding a frying pan and looking at me menacingly )  hehehe ;)

It has scratches on the cylinder like it might have a timing problem...other than that it looks in good shape.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 08:58:56 PM »
Yep. it looks like a Euroarms to me. I take it that it is the one on top becasue of the shorter bbl.

What does the guy want for it?  What letters are in a box near the proofs? or the roman numerals? That will tell us the age of the gun.
SAS-76873
NCOWS-2955
SCORRS
STORM-243
WARTHOG

Shooting History (original), Remy NMA Conversions, 1863 New Model Pocket Model C.F. Conversion, Remy Model 1889 12Ga. Coach Gun

Offline buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 10:03:49 PM »
The guy doesnt know what to ask for it...I told him I would try to find out what it was worth.  I saw the letters PN on it and some marks that looked like YY/  The serial number was 12XXX 

Yes, it is the one with the shorter barrel.  I bought two brass framed .44 cal with the 8 inch barrels cause I thought they would look good with my 1866 yellowboy.  They shoot really nice and are really accurate with .451 round balls.  wanted to try .454 balls just to see how they shoot.

I really appreciate all your responses...and the wealth of knowledge.

I was thinking of offering 50 bucks for it...I wasnt in the market for a .36 cal. remmy...but it sure is hard to turn down a new toy  ;)    ( hides frying pan )

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 02:15:55 PM »
If you can get it for less than $100.00 you will be fine I'm thinking. I'd probably offer $75.00, but $50.00 is a lot better if he'll take it.
You can get that back almost anytime. The YY/ is probably XX7 lightly struck which would be 1971.
SAS-76873
NCOWS-2955
SCORRS
STORM-243
WARTHOG

Offline buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 02:56:17 PM »
  Thanks for all your help Mr. Halfway Creek Charlie...I appreciate the time and all the information.   :)

Offline Wolfgang

• Top Active Citizen
    • The Desperate Hot Springs News
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 05:44:17 AM »
Buck, . . as long as it is shootable $ 75 sounds about right, . . . You say your brass piettas shoot good with .451 balls.  Mine leaded the barrel badly with .451s and spewed shots all over the place.  When I figured out what was wrong I cleaned the barrel good with vinigar ( soaking in it ) and scrubbing with a bronze brush.  Then went to .457s.  Shaves a good ring of lead and shoots GREAT.  Have a steel frame now as well as the first brass one and a AMS that I got for $100 and keep as a back up.  The brass frame ones look neat after shootin' the black for a while !  Good shootin', . . . .  :)
Beware the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it.

Offline buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2007, 08:48:17 PM »
  Thanks wolfgang...I'll try the bigger ball and see.  I havent noticed any leading in mine and Ive been shooting some stout loads.
 30 gr. ffg.  Ive been thinking I should start shooting a little lighter load.  I dont want to stress my remmies more than I have to.  I worry a little about the brass frame not being as strong as the steel frame. 
  I have a nice belt and holsters that Dennis Yoder made for me.  It has some nice conchos on them.  I will try to post a pic of my remmies in their rig.

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2007, 06:12:13 PM »
Uberti Navies some years ago were built on a smaller frame, as were the original Remingtons.  Perhaps Euroarms were as well.  The current production Ubertis and Piettas are built on the 44 frame with a shorter 7-1/2 inch barrel (Uberti) and 6-1/2 inch (Pietta).

Italian date codes are available at the website:

http://www.berettaweb.com/DL1.htm  The letters appear in a rectangular box on the frame somewhere, usually near the proofmarks.

The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2007, 06:16:35 PM »
Not only is the 44 a better shooter with at least 454 balls, if not 457 (forget the 451), the 36 shoots better with .380 ball, sometimes, the usual 375 balls won't stay seated in the cylinder.

Use lots of Bore Butter over the ball, even if you use a Wonder Wad under, it will keep the fouling down, and reduce leading.  Usually the black powder fouling and lube prevents the kind of leading you see with smokeless cartridge guns.
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com