Author Topic: Quality of Pietta vs. Uberti BP Revolvers  (Read 9351 times)

Offline Frenchie

• "We have met the enemy, and he is us." - Pogo
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Photo by Julio Zangroniz @ "September Storm", 2007
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Quality of Pietta vs. Uberti BP Revolvers
« on: November 05, 2004, 10:58:26 PM »
I did a search and found a short thread about this subject that didn't really answer my questions and have seen others in the past few years on other discussion boards. Also I put this here because I want to get some gunsmith's opinions about it.

I have two Pietta .36 Navy Colt cap 'n' ball wheelguns, s/n E51607 and 491940. Steel frames, rounded trigger guards, never been loaded. I've had the first some years now and got the second last year. At the moment I plan to send them to Steve's Gunz for action jobs with the intention of eventually fitting Kirst cartridge converters into them, but that may change depending on the replies I get here.

Lately I've been wondering if the quality of the steel and workmanship is worth the money I'd spend to do the modifications. I've seen discussions where the majority of opinions held the Uberti products to be superior to the Piettas, and certainly that is reflected in the prices if they're an indication of overall quality and workmanship. I've also seen assertions that the Piettas are or at least can be as good, or nearly so, as the Ubertis. Much seems to depend on when the revolvers were purchased. In short, I'm not a lot more enlightened now than when I started researching.

So, gunsmiths and shooters of both marks, please let me know what you think of this. Should I go ahead with my plans for the Piettas? Should I get Ubertis for the slick-up and conversion route instead? If I do that, I'll sell the newer gun and keep the older one for naval reenacting (which means keeping it all shiny and never loading or firing it), but I'll send it to Steve's Gunz anyway because I tried my hand at being a gunsmith with it and now it's in need of a real 'smith to make it work right  :-[

All opinions, help, advice, ideas, etc. will be very much appreciated.
Yours, &c.,

Guy 'Frenchie' LaFrance
Vous pouvez voir par mes vêtements que je ne suis pas un cowboy.

Offline Mule Clanton

• Doc
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Quality of Pietta vs. Uberti BP Revolvers
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2004, 10:56:17 AM »
Just as method of comparison---I own 12 Uberti Colt  & Pedersoli Sharps repro's almost to the gun---I wanted to try the Remington' so I purchased the Pietta New Army and also the Pietta Pocket Pistol.  They went back to Cabela's in a six hour or so turn-around. I have never seen two guns which both suffered from technicians who must have been born with five-thumbs. Egregious tool marks and gouges into the bluing showing base metal ( and these were still wrapped in cosmoline grease )--- timing was all but non- existent in the Pocket pistol---the New Army could not be cocked or stripped---it was locked up tighter than a drum >:(. I presumed the cylinder stop was jammed and I refused to "repair" the gun, as I still believe that when I purchase something I expect it to work (silly me)   ::). I turned around and purchased the Uberti New Army through my local gun shop---what a beauty---it has a trigger that I still cannot believe is as good as it is---smooth---light---a well manufactured gun and this one well worth the money. So IMHO I think that Uberti is the better choice. ;)
"Fair Dinkum & Good On You"
Postulant at the Shrine of the Holy Black
NRA LIFE~SASS~SCORRS~DARKSIDER
PGK~PFN

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2004, 10:55:45 PM »
I have my second Uberti NMA (58, they call it). Both of these were great out of the box, only thng needed was to lighten the mainspring some. I put an R&D cylinder conversion in them. They both worked great, although on one, I had to relieve a small bit of the frame so the cylinder didn't touch (R&D mentions this as a possibility, so it didn't come as a surprise). How accurate are they? Tack nailers, both of 'em. A friend of mine got two Piettas. The R&D cylinders don't seem to work on them too well and one won't retain the cylinder pin as it should; drop the loading lever, slide the pin out to remove the cylinder. One of them just keeps on going, out onto the ground. I won't vouch for accuracy, as I haven't fired them. So far, I'm glad I got my Ubertis.

I bought two Uberti model 73 rifles. Both great workmanship, just the normal lightening of the springs needed. Accurate right out of the box.

I picked up an EMF 1890 Remington, Uberti made. It was rough and needed quite a bit of work to make it function right. It isn't the gun that the others are, but maybe with a little more action work, it will be. Accuracy on this one? Right in the center of the target. No complaints, there. I can smooth stuff fairly easily, but it needs to shoot straight. I figure 4 out of 5 were top notch right out of the box.

I wouldn't hesitate to get another Uberti product in the future. Although I was a little disappointed and surprised about the 1890.

Hope this helps.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:04:05 PM »

Offline Jubel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2005, 05:37:38 PM »
I own 3 Uberti's and 3 Pietta's perhaps I'm just lucky but all of six of them were gems right from the box. I converted one Uberti and three (3) Pietta's to cartridge using the Kirst system after around 500 to 1000 rounds out of each depending on the caliber none are the worse for the wear. I shoot 45 Schofield out of my 1858 NMA's and 38 Long Colt out of my converted 36's. Yeppers they is seriously worth the money and the style points are free!!! ;D
Cousin we been ashooten at each other all day! How about we stop for a beer then we kin go home and get our axes. Or just as good, lets forget this whole dang feud, I'm agetten too old for this anyhow!

Offline john boy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2005, 05:52:45 PM »
Frenchie, here are 2 email addresses to communicate your opinion to ...
Allesandro Pietta....  fap@spidernet.it
Pietta Customer Service...  info@pietta.it
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

Offline Smokin Gun

• "I Smoke Black Powder!"/ "Prefer an 1858 Remington"
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Preferred Shootin' Iron 1858 Rem
    • Black Powder Revolver Forum
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2005, 11:57:19 PM »
Just as method of comparison---I own 12 Uberti Colt  & Pedersoli Sharps repro's almost to the gun---I wanted to try the Remington' so I purchased the Pietta New Army and also the Pietta Pocket Pistol.  They went back to Cabela's in a six hour or so turn-around. I have never seen two guns which both suffered from technicians who must have been born with five-thumbs. Egregious tool marks and gouges into the bluing showing base metal ( and these were still wrapped in cosmoline grease )--- timing was all but non- existent in the Pocket pistol---the New Army could not be cocked or stripped---it was locked up tighter than a drum >:(. I presumed the cylinder stop was jammed and I refused to "repair" the gun, as I still believe that when I purchase something I expect it to work (silly me)   ::). I turned around and purchased the Uberti New Army through my local gun shop---what a beauty---it has a trigger that I still cannot believe is as good as it is---smooth---light---a well manufactured gun and this one well worth the money. So IMHO I think that Uberti is the better choice. ;)

Hello to all, I just found out about this forum from a friend. I can shed a little lite on your Cabelas/Pietta issue. First thing is you are buying from Cabelas, $159.99 and you may have paid what $235 -$265  so for the Uberti. Cabelas will send you as many replacements as you want at $159.99 or any model.  If you go to EMF and get their Hartford Series Pietta for I think $169 you probably find a better gun the first time. Or Taylors costs a little more. I have gotten 4 Piettas, 2 New Rems from Cabelas, 2 on Gunbroker an 1860 9 yrs old, and a Rem NIB Target. They are all great shooters and very dependable and accuate.The 9yr old 1860 Army is tight as a drum and the front site was already filed shoots where you hold  it and thats sayin somethin for a Colt...HeHe All I did was check the trigger/Hammer/Bolt for sharp edges and polish same as I have done with my Ubertis. So I have to say if you wanna save $100 or more Shop Cabelas, if Not EMF or Taylors for a Pieatta. Now I've seen messed up Ubertis also, but Uberti qualiy control is better, but I wouldn't say that the strength or longevity of the Rev is any better material wise. Hope this helps. You guys have a good forum here.
Mosby's Rangers
43rd Virginia Cavalry C.S.A.
SASS# 19634
http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com