Author Topic: Who does nickel plating?  (Read 8329 times)

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Who does nickel plating?
« on: June 28, 2005, 06:06:53 PM »
Got a butt plate I need done.  Any suggestions?  Also, any idea what it will cost?

Thnaks.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Who does nickel plating?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 08:31:07 PM »
What about tolerances?  Don't want some oversized lump when It's done.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 08:47:17 PM »
You could do it yourself. Here's a link:

http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/nickel.htm

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:05:27 AM »

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 01:24:51 AM »
I'm going to need a few trigger guards plated. Maybe I'll need your services, Joss.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 04:04:57 AM »
Seems somewhat dear for what I want.  I had a Texas Platers kit many years ago.  It did a passable job, but it wasn't real durable. It used two dry cell batteries and a clip and brush arrangement.

I plated copper, silver, and gols onto a bunch of stuff, but the nickle was harder to do and not as satisfactory.

I'd like to do it the old fashioned way...pay someone to do it right so I don't screw it up.  The butt plate is "in the white" but subject to rust and pitting.

Offline El Paso Pete

• Big Lube Boolit Shooter, shootin BP since 1958
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Life, NRA Patron, RATS #1, Warthog
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2005, 07:26:24 AM »
If it were mine, and I wanted it done real right, I'd call  Doug Turnbull and ask 'im.   (585) 657-6338   Couldn't cost that much just fer a butt plate.
El Paso Pete   SASS #55577L  RATS #1
Mules,  Whiskey,  Diamonds,  Nails,  Gold Mines,  Fly Swatters,  Barbed Wire,  Oil Wells,  Runnin Irons.
Governments Run, Revolutions Started, Uprising Quelled, Bridges Destroyed, Saloons Emptied, Whiskey Bonded, Taxes Collected, Gold Mines Salted

EL PASO PETE’S MONEY BACK GUARANTEE
Simply return the unused portion of the product and
El Paso Pete will refund the unused portion of your money.

Offline Manatee

• Active citizen
    • Banana River Outfitters
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005, 07:28:43 AM »
Accurate plating out of Florida.  I don't have a link for them any more.  I think Colt used them to do their nickel work.

Pricing depends on the level of polish of the raw piece and the type of plating you request.

Offline Jubel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2005, 09:05:28 PM »
First call your local auto bumper plating companys. I had several firearms totally done in a bumper shop. Be sure you ask if they do many firearms or firearms parts. Remember also it costs less when you detail strip your own firearm. Most police departments have an officer or two with contacts at the good places to get plating done. Call the non emergency dispatcher in your juresdiction and see if He/She knows of an officer who might be willing to help.
Cousin we been ashooten at each other all day! How about we stop for a beer then we kin go home and get our axes. Or just as good, lets forget this whole dang feud, I'm agetten too old for this anyhow!

jiminy criquet

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2005, 10:16:51 AM »
The Caswell electroless nickel kits are the way to go for something like this, and they do an excellent job on firearms, laying down a nice even layer of plating.
I nickel plated an entire gun using the process, and it works like a charm.   A few tips....I ended up using a small plastic igloo cooler as my (insulated) tank to help retain the heat when doing such a large part, and I also purchased a large aquarium heater for $20 (and removed the 'governor' on the heater's thermostat, i.e., the plastic 'knob', and cranked up the temp setting) to augment the heating of the solution to just under boiling.
The only other thing I did to complete the plating process was after washing off the nickel solution, I douched the part(s) with WD40, and polished them with steel wool.

While the fumes given off by the heated nickel solution do give off a little bit of a funk, it was worth it...plus it was cool as hell doing your own nickel plating :)

Offline dangerranger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2005, 03:07:29 AM »
The last time I had plating done it was handled by a CO called "Hot Flash" in Nev. I dont have there web site here but they are online. they did an exelint job for a very reasonable price. I do think the the do it yourself kits would work for what you need tho.
Life is a rush into the unknown, You can duck down real low and hope nothing hits you, Or stand up tall, show it your teeth,and say "Dish it up Baby and dont get stingy with the Peppers!!!"

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2005, 09:53:45 AM »
A buddy of mine from OCS worked for Brownell's and helped develop their plating kit.

It will de-plate without attacking the substrate and once polished to the desired finish - the resultant job has a nice look to it.
The more common method of de-plating often leaves an 'orange-peel' effect that's tedious to remove.

I'll most likely get one this fall - and their website is:  www.brownells.com

Nickel plate 'is' different in overall 'look' from Silver or Chrome and when done 'right' - with care taken in the preparation - there's a richness that's pleasing.
Remember - if 'you' do the prep - that what's plated will look like what 'you' gave to the plater, so if you're looking for 'mirror-brightness' - you're on your own, and best of luck to you...
If you're wanting something 'aged' - there are shops that can do that as well but just holding back on the buffing a bit can also achieve that look.

There are two other places in your town that you may want to talk to before you pack it off someplace - an 'Industrial Plating' Shop - 'or' - a Religious Supply house.
Seriously.
The paraphernalia associated with religious worship apparently gets re-plated quite often and some of that stuff's ornate enough to warrant a lot of care, so some of the suppliers also act as repair/refinish sites.

Good Luck.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com