Author Topic: vintage guns  (Read 2944 times)

Offline marshal hoyt

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
vintage guns
« on: March 19, 2007, 05:04:18 PM »
New to CAS and my first post.  Appreciate any replies.  I inherited Dad's pre 1900 SAA Colts and a Colt Lightning rifle from 1885, but at the first match I watched and chatted with a few shooters, seems no one (that I saw) used vintage guns.  I expected a group of collectors who also were shooting their guns. 

Also, the SASS handbook does not list a category for vintage which is surprising. Nothing against clones, and I realize vintage is expensive and my good fortune, and the need for thenm to be in safe condition, but am I missing something on the use of these?

Thanks
Marshal Hoyt

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: vintage guns
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 06:13:36 PM »
No you're not. There's no problem with using vintage arms as long as they are in safe condition. Just one thing to remember, shooting CAS you will put more wear and tear on them in one year than they've probably had in their entire life time. I shoot some vintage arms myself, an 1889 Marlin in 38-40 as a main match rifle and an 1893 Marlin in 38-55 for side matches. The '89 is used in rotation with two other sets/caliber rifles, so it's not in constant use.
 If you wish to use those vintage guns, go right ahead and enjoy them. They were made to shoot after all. Just make sure the loads you use are safe and appropriate for their age........Buck 8) ;)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 07:26:12 PM »
Howdy Marshal,   Welcome to CAS and this forum.  Nothing wrong at all with using vintage guns, but follow  Bucks advice for sure.  Another thing you may want to do is have those guns appraised so you KNOW what you are shooting and possibly risking.  They may well be more valuable than you think.  A big reason why many dont shoot their vintage guns in matches is that they are simply too valuable (both monetary  and historical).   Safe shooting. Deadeye.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:42:29 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com