Author Topic: .50 Caliber Dragoon C&B Revolvers.  (Read 4439 times)

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
.50 Caliber Dragoon C&B Revolvers.
« on: March 16, 2007, 09:11:55 PM »
Years ago, sometime in the 1970's, some enterprising gun writer modified a Colt's Dragoon to .50 caliber.  Seems it worked well, and I know it won't be legal in CAS, but what are your thoughts on this conversion?

I remember that it was fitted with a rebored and rifled barrel and the cylinder bored out for a .50 cal. ball

That would be a fantastic companion piece with a Spencer.

Almost as impressive as the British .58 caliber revolver used in India.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1681
Re: .50 Caliber Dragoon C&B Revolvers.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 10:55:17 PM »
   Greetings!

I've never heard of the ".50 Dragoon"... Sounds like a bit of fun. Personally, I think that Uberti should quit chambering their RB Pistols for .357M, and get closer to the originals by boring them for .50 Spencer! It would be an appropriate bore, and an increase of power over the .50 Rem Pistol. Just a little more fun, too!
   On your other topic... A replica Tranter / Webley .577 C&B revolver is one of my dream-guns! Solid frame, SA/DA mechanism, 4" Bbl., thumb-sized bullet or ball... I think Gary James in an ages-ago 'Guns n Ammo' {70's?} did a write up on a Tranter by that description with two cylinders: one for the stubby .577 Boxer Revolver Ctg; and another for front-stuffing with roundball, percussion caps, and a BP scoop. A 450gr. conical in that old cartridge was given a velocity of 750 f.p.s., as I recall...
   In 'Handloader' Magazine issue #226, Ross Seyfried details the joys of affording {and reloading for!} a Thomas Bland topbreak revolver in ".577 Gauge"...

Wow! I can Dream...

Be Well, All!

M.T.Marfield
                          3-16-07

Offline Dusty Morningwood

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 08:57:35 AM »
I passed up a chance to buy a .58 cal. revolver that came out of South America a couple of years ago.  I think it was made by Webley.  Too beat up for me at the time, but in retrospect.....

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:51:14 PM »

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1681
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 03:19:27 PM »
   Greetings!

Yes, a Webley .577 revolver in nearly any condition would make a good investment. Makes one wonder how it got to So.America, and who packed it... For "unarmored" adversaries, that would be one hell of a "stopper": a 450gr. soft lead slug at 750f.p.s.! Just the thing for the globe-trotting British officer.
   It wouldn't be hard to tool up for, either; and a C&B would be exempt from any licensing issues that the .577 cartridge revolver would be saddled with.

Ah, yes. Just a Dream...

Be Well, All!

M.T.Marfield
                   3-18-07

Offline Dusty Morningwood

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 05:00:26 PM »
   Greetings!

Yes, a Webley .577 revolver in nearly any condition would make a good investment. Makes one wonder how it got to So.America, and who packed it...
       Be Well, All!

Yep.  The guy who sold it is fining al kinds of neat stuff don there.  Whenever I think back on how cheap it went for, I kick myself! ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com