Author Topic: Jager Frontier single action revolver  (Read 20496 times)

Offline SFC

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Jager Frontier single action revolver
« on: February 26, 2007, 12:20:12 PM »
I was at a local pawn shop today and they had a used Jager Frontier .45lc  single action revolver.  Has anybody heard of these, or owned one?  It looked about 10-20 years old, but still in good condition. 

Offline Jubal Starbuck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Jager Frontier single action revolver
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 04:02:04 PM »
   I had one of those with a brass grip frame and a 7.5 inch barrel in .45 Colt. I got it around 1980 thru a "Shotgun News" ad, and I think it came from EMF. Cost was a princely $135 then.   It liked .454" soft 250 grainers on top of a caseful of black powder.  A friend talked me out of it and he still has it.  I later owned one in .32-20 Win. with a 7.5 inch bbl. also. Both were good guns, altho both could have benefitted from a little action work.  Hope this helps.

Jubal Starbuck

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 10:33:26 PM »
I have 2 Jagers from EMF, got them about 1981. they are solid. Only problem is if they do go down, parts are sometimes hard to come by. They are metric, and don't match up to any other guns. But, that said I have shot the daylights out of both mine and only replaced the mainspring on one of them about 15 years ago...

cc
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:09:50 AM »

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • "Centaures will make you become addicted"
    • Belgian Colt, aka Centaure, aka Centennial Army, aka "1960 NEW MODEL ARMY"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 02:05:36 AM »
After talking to some gun smiths specialized in cowboy pistols over here in Germany it is their consense that the Armi Jaeger SA are probably the best Italian replicas you can get in terms of steel quality, solid like bulls.
They were made with brass and/or steel triggerguards/back straps in calibers from 4 mm R to .45 Colt incl. .44 Mag, with traditional sights as well as adjustable sights (the latter we don't like, do we?). My first one had a 5,5" barrel, caliber 4 mm R. Used it for target practice in the cellar!
Bootsie
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Offline SFC

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 08:54:07 AM »
The Jager I saw at the local pawn shop had a badly scarred cylinder from the bolt.  Definitily needed some work.  He wants $250 for it and won't drop his price.  For $250, he'll keep it. 

Offline skunkhouse

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 05:46:06 AM »
i got one in 357  with a 7.5 barrel,  they are heavy made for sure,   shot very well though!

Offline strat

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 08:49:07 AM »
Hi folks,
I too bought one of these back in the 80s as advertised in shotgun news. It is a Buntline Spcl. cal. 44-40. My experience wasn't pretty. Part way through the first box of bullets, the ejector rod housing flew off. When I tried to put it back on, the the little  gizmo that the screw goes into stripped out. Well I could still poke out the empties with a stick (I like to shoot), but still on that same box of bullets, the hand spring broke. I figured out that if I point the barrel at the ground to cock it, it would still cycle (I really like to shoot). After that box was done I never shot it again. Recently, I retrevied it from my daughter's attic and tried to fix that hand spring. Modern clone hand springs attach differently, no luck there. I tried a new hand assembly from my parts box and the little stud on the hand fits the hole in the hammer ok, but the whole assembly is way too big to fit, not just normal oversize as you would expect. It would take a lot of file work to make it work. Needless to say I probably wouldn't purchase another. I'd rather shoot guns than work on them.
-Strat

Offline Wild Ben Raymond

• Wild Ben Raymond
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 12:45:02 PM »
Howdy! I had one at one time, while a beautiful gun as the case harden coloring was outstanding and the nickled backstrap & trigger guard looked really good, but this gun couldn't shoot for S#!+. So, I ended up selling it, but looking back I should have tried .454 bullets as I have heard, after the fact, the the bores on these guns are like 1st gen. Colts. WBR

Offline grit

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 06:52:04 AM »
been pokin round fer hammer n hand fer my armi jager frontier 22cal 6 shot fer quite a spell. some fella says [emf?} DAKOTA pulled em in>not quite sur> was carved in italy>says so under the barrel> sur wood like to kick up some parts dont know where to scratch next.thot i wus the only scoundrel with one.

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2007, 09:07:56 PM »
Grit

Check with EMF (1-800-430-1310) last year I got a triggerguard/backstrap for my Dakota. They said they had some ASM parts then. Ask for RAB.

good luck

Curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Offline grit

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2007, 05:30:50 AM »
thanks again curley cole, the hand seems to be hard to kick up,with out good fit it won't time for a hoot.

Offline grit

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2007, 05:42:06 PM »
howdy pards, about these armi jager parts, well i contacted vti gun parts, thay says thay cant help ,but thay referd me to a fella in CA by the name ken baumgartner,mite be of some service. gunna call directley,let yall know.

Offline skunkhouse

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2007, 05:52:28 AM »
hey ill sell mine anyone interested , 357 , with a 7.5 barel brass grip  frame, case hardened reciever, works just fine an dandy , 300 bucks shipped?? to yur ffl
shaner6996@yahoo.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com