Author Topic: Blow Tubes vs. Bore Pigs  (Read 14183 times)

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Blow Tubes vs. Bore Pigs
« on: October 26, 2004, 01:42:33 PM »
OK, OK, Ok, I know the subject title don't make much sense, but here goes:
Generally we all tend to use Blow Tubes after each shot is fired through our Buffler rifles, now I see an ad on BPCR.net for what is called the 'TEXAS BORE PIG'. Basically you take the Bore Pig, dip it in water, give it a shake and push it through the bore after every shot instead of using a Blow Tube. It sez it will clean out all the fouling and only leave a bit of moisture.
See BPCR.net for details, but the basic design is a brush backed with a fibrous material and a rubber gasket, so that when you dip it in plain water, put it in the bore and push it out the front with a dowel it dampens and brushes the fouling loose, wets and pulls it out and then 'squeegees' the barrel dry, mostly, leaving it ready for the next shot.
The TEXAS BORE PIG is sold in sets of 15 to cover all the shots in most relays it sez, so you can have several 'soaking' and ready to use. The ad claims cleanup after each use is simple, just shake them in clean water then put in another jar or can with more clean water. With 7 or 8 shots in most relays you'll have a set ready to go for the next relay.
I recall a feller doing something like this at a Long Range Shoot last summer at Ackely, and being a newbie to the sport thought it a bit of overkill at the time. I forgot to ask him why he did it, but now after seing the pics and reading the data, it makes perfect sense. After all, why blow your brains out trying to soften up fouling then dry patch it out, then blow some more, then foul it up again, etc., etc., if you can clean it out with a wetbrush and squeegee it dry in one push and improve your accuracy to boot!?
Can't wait to see a set in action next year! Check it out on BPCR.net, scroll down about 1/2 way and click on the TEXAS BORE PIG topic, its interesting and as all new tools and toys, it will certainly bring up some comments, pro and con and the discussion should be lively!
Best regards and good shooting!
'Ol Gabe

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
Re: Blow Tubes vs. Bore Pigs
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2004, 01:56:46 PM »
If ya have enough lube to keep the fouling soft, do ya need a blow tube or a bore pig?  ???

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2004, 02:21:31 PM »
I think not, I can remove almost all fouling with a dry patch.  Don't take any more time than a blow tube, with the blow tube it's all still there with the dry patch or even the wet patch with the windshield wiper solvent it's all gone.  If the barrel is hot the wws evaporates very quickly.  If needed the dry patch will take care of it.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:34:29 AM »

Offline Bad Flynch

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2004, 06:32:42 PM »
Late in the 19th century, it was common to swab the bore between shots, and it was not a complicated affair requiring complicated equipment. One of the problems that modern black powder shooters have tried to solve was to find a good powder and a lube that was good enough, that you could shoot all day without swabbing or cleaning: hence, the fancy lubes, blow tubes, and the quest for a black powder with ideal fouling characteristics. Ideas do come back around.
B.F.

Offline Uncle Eph

• Top Active Citizen
  • Never trust anything designed after 1912
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2004, 11:36:06 PM »
Bad, I think the idea of the blow tube or at least blowing into the breech has been around since the first breech loading rifles. as to trying new tricks IMHO every newbie goes thur that stage, when I first started shooting and reloading BPCRs many, many years ago the trick thing was duplex loads and gas checks, that has pretty much gone the way of the buffalo.

the bore pig is really a slick idea but nothing new, the old timers would pound a cork down the barrel with much the same results.

Ballard Pacifics and Montanas came with a wiping rod attached as did the Gemmer conversion rifles and of course military rifles had them.

I have to agree with you about ideas coming full circle and the one thing I have learned in 40 years of BP rifle shooting is K.I.S.S.

here is another question for you BP rifle shooters: can anyone name the last shooter that made his living with a Sharps rifle? this was real early in the 20th century and it took place in the far west.

WARTHOG, GAF #364, SASS #53354, BOLD #549, SBSS #1483, STORM #5, NRA, CRSO, ASSRA, SDOP, SUV, GOFWG #19, 7-7-79 SNL WINNER

Offline Capt Henry

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2004, 02:12:03 AM »
I have used the wet patch method of wiping and blow tubeing but but found that they are slower than using the bore pigs, when you push them through they will drop at the muzzle. If you put a cloth on the ground the pigs will collect on that and just pick them up wash them out and your ready to go again. You don't have to drag the patch back though the bore.

I shot two 20 round strings back to back yesterday and found the barrel stayed much cooler than blow tubing and faster than a wet patch, altho in all fairness the wet patch method works as well.
I am shooting a Browning BPCR in 40-65, 65 grains of 1 1/2 swiss and a 420 grain PJ bullet, and a Shiloh 1874 in 45-70 with 65 grains of 2F swiss and a 520 grain PJ bullet. The interesting thing was that the first round was out of the group just as a fouling shot would.
Needless to say I am sold on the pigs, being cheap I made my own. ;D

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2004, 10:26:32 AM »
Capt. Henry, Kind Sir,
Being a lifelong member of the Tightwad Society, how does one make a semblance of what you described? Enquiring minds want to know, details, where, how much, how hard, etc., etc. etc., please!!!
Best regards and good shooting!
'Ol Gabe
P.S. If you don't want to spill the beans here, please post me off-line and I promise I won't tell anyone else, mum's the word!!

Offline Capt Henry

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2004, 05:32:17 PM »
Gabe
I don't mind sharing information,
I cut mine out with gasket punches, the Scotchbright (green scrubbys) can be found at the supermarket, don't get the ones with soap or an abrasive. The ones I got were 1/4 inch thick. Our youngest son works for the power company so he got me some rubber insulation blankets that were unserviceableI used them for the wipe. the brass nut I made, altho you could get them at the hardware store. I used nylon pistol brushes, brass would work as well but are much harder to push through the bore.

I bought a set of gasket punches from Harbor Freight and resharpened them and polished the inside with a dremel tool. I used a 7/16 and 1/8 th for the 45-70 and a 3/8 and 1/8th for the 40-65. the 1/8 th is for the center hole.  I found the best way to cut them is to use a drill press at slow speed, they seem to come out more uniform. These sizes seem to work ok as there is no fouling or mositure present after runing one through the bore.
It takes a little work but I am like you I do not have the money to go out and buy them. If I can figure out how to post a photo I would put a photo up so you can see.
Hope this answers your question. 

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2004, 06:24:30 PM »
I use a pointed jag on my rod and the patches also just drop. on the ground.  Those bore pigs sound like they would do a good job also.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Sergeant Smokepole

• Dark Lord of The Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2004, 07:23:10 PM »
I use Bore Snakes. It appears that they work on the same principle as bore pigs.

Offline Capt Henry

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2004, 09:01:53 PM »
The only trouble I see with bore snakes is that if you don't clean them each time you are pulling the same dirt through the bore each time. and over time they will pick up more and more debris. I value my rifle barrel to much to continue to run the same cleaning device over and over through the bore with out cleaning. When you have over two thousand in each rifle I shoot I tend to be particular as to what goes down the bore.

That said.......I have no doubt that they do clean well and many people use them, I won't.

Offline Bad Flynch

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2004, 12:29:20 AM »
>here is another question for you BP rifle shooters: can anyone name the last shooter that made his living with a Sharps rifle? this was real early in the 20th century and it took place in the far west. <

I have his book, so I'll let someone else answer here. Interesting read. CFM
B.F.

Offline Uncle Eph

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2004, 01:38:15 AM »
hey Bad, drop me a PM and lets compare notes
WARTHOG, GAF #364, SASS #53354, BOLD #549, SBSS #1483, STORM #5, NRA, CRSO, ASSRA, SDOP, SUV, GOFWG #19, 7-7-79 SNL WINNER

Offline Bad Flynch

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2004, 03:39:22 PM »
hey Bad, drop me a PM and lets compare notes

PM sent.
B.F.

Offline Uncle Eph

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2004, 11:13:59 PM »
BF, PM answered.

Offline T.J. McSuds

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2004, 05:58:20 AM »
 Was it Frank Mayer?
T.J. McSuds
 Double Duelist Darksider, Warthog, BOLD, SBSS, NRA, IDPA.

Offline Uncle Eph

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2004, 10:17:39 AM »
nope

Offline Willie Wheelgun

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2004, 07:40:37 PM »
I reckon you might be makin reference to 'Yellowstone Vic' and his book 'The Champion Buffalo Hunter'.
Willie
Land of the free BECAUSE of the brave!
God Bless America
Soos Creek, Washington Territory

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com