46 (11.3%)
I bought it from a supplier
45 (11.1%)
I don't have a guncart
80 (19.7%)
I bought it used
4 (1%)

Total Members Voted: 382

Author Topic: Tell me about your guncart  (Read 225297 times)

Offline Russ McCrae

• Hat Creek Cattle Co., Front Porch Division
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Tell me about your guncart
« Reply #160 on: June 11, 2012, 11:27:16 AM »
Is there any requirements on long arms in the wagons? I've seen alot with the barrels pointed up, which is fine but I'd rather point the muzzle at the ground, seeing as how I'm 6'2" I look down into alot of muzzles walking around a shoot and while I can see they're actions open it makes me nervous.

Just checking before I put a chuck/range wagon together  ;D
"What's Good For Me Ain't Necessarily Good For the Weak Minded"

"I'm an admirer of good sense wherever I find it."

SASS #93813
STORM #335

Offline Thomas O'Hawk

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #161 on: June 11, 2012, 11:40:44 AM »
I know at the shoots I have been to, the rules state action open and muzzle downrange or up.  I think this is more intended for carrying to and from the loading and unloading table, but I think it spills over to carts as well in our neck of the woods.

With that said, I have seen the "factory" guncarts made from strollers carrying muzzle down so I guess I don't know the real answer.
  Artillery brings dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl!

Offline Russ McCrae

• Hat Creek Cattle Co., Front Porch Division
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #162 on: June 11, 2012, 02:08:10 PM »
Yes sir I've seen the same thing for handling the firearms but not transporting them stage to stage. While I know handling a firearm pointing the barrel up is good, I feel in a cart it does not have the stability of a two legged person, hence my wanting the center of gravity low and the firearms stowed action open
"What's Good For Me Ain't Necessarily Good For the Weak Minded"

"I'm an admirer of good sense wherever I find it."

SASS #93813
STORM #335

Advertising

« Reply #163 on: Today at 09:46:35 PM »

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #163 on: September 14, 2012, 11:45:16 AM »
I've built two of them.  
The most "authentic-looking" one is is about 4 feet long and looks much like the old goat carts of the 1800's.  It holds 8 long guns, has an antique chair and has plenty of storage.  It goes with us on a little travel trailer (homebuilt) or in the back of our pickup.
A pic of it is on my website www.wildwestarms.net.
I don't know how to put a picture here.  I've tried a lot of times unsuccessfully.
Maybe I'll ask Cammille.

Adios,
Mustang Gregg

"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Storm Crow

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #164 on: September 20, 2012, 12:04:07 AM »
Just finished building my guncart this weekend.  Thought you might get a kick out of it.

That's awesome!  Pure genius.
Someone recently asked me, "what is the best western?"  I replied, "It's a pretty good motel, but I like Motel 6; they'll keep a light on for you."

Offline Gen Lew Wallace

• Major General, VIII Corps, Commander Middle Dept.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Savior of Washington D.C.
  • Liked:
« Reply #165 on: October 09, 2012, 04:01:45 PM »
Got a Jackrabbit from Off the Wall and put my custom VIII Corps guidon on it.
Retired USAF, 20 years defending my beloved nation
NRA Life, SUVCW, GAF#164, AF&AM, AASR

"This is my native state.  I will not leave it to serve the South.  Down the street yonder is the old cemetery, and my father lies there going to dust.  If I fight, I tell you, it shall be for his bones." -Lew Wallace, after the 1860 election

Offline MUD MARINE

• Brevet Captain, Marine Commander Dept of the Platte
  • Very Active Citizen
  • DeptPlatte, Brevet Capt, USMC, SASS, CFDA, BPCR
  • Liked:
« Reply #166 on: October 09, 2012, 04:23:11 PM »
I purchased it at EOT in 2006. It has my cattle brands burned into it along with barbed wire on the handles and my sons and my aliases on the top of the ammo box. I added umbrella supports, a handle bar for oulling it up inclines and modified the gun stands to support my 10 gauge double and my .50-140 Sharps "Old Reliable". It also has an upper box for glasses, ear aids, Balliatol, etc. and a holder for a cooler. I added extra large wheels to make it easier for this Cattle Baron to haul it around. It comes completely apart for traveling. My only problem is, occasionally, a pack rat will eat the leather laces that is extra security for my long guns.   :-(
:-)

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #167 on: October 09, 2012, 04:26:59 PM »
I purchased it at EOT in 2006. It has my cattle brands burned into it along with barbed wire on the handles and my sons and my aliases on the top of the ammo box. I added umbrella supports, a handle bar for oulling it up inclines and modified the gun stands to support my 10 gauge double and my .50-140 Sharps "Old Reliable". It also has an upper box for glasses, ear aids, Balliatol, etc. and a holder for a cooler. I added extra large wheels to make it easier for this Cattle Baron to haul it around. It comes completely apart for traveling. My

The only problem is, occasionally, a pack rat will eat the leather laces that is extra security for my long guns.   :-(

Mud Marine,

We want Pics!

TTFN,
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline harleydavis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #C31 SASS #3740 NRA GAF #394 5th Minn. Infry
  • SASS #: 3640
  • NCOWS #: C31
  • GAF #: 934
  • Liked:
« Reply #168 on: August 17, 2013, 08:36:41 AM »
Here is  my version. Never used one in the old days, seems everything has gotten heavier. Used an old goat cart and hammered some pine borads together, bit of paint and here it is. Used a Civil War style ammo box for all my fixin's. The rack removes easlily and the whole thing fits in the back of my Escape.
I remain, respectfully,
Harley Davis
"I do not believe in ghosts so I do not burn a candle waiting for them. As to the killing of a bad man, when it comes to a fight, it is the other man or me. And when the deed is done, why bother the mind? Afterall, the killing of a bad man should not bother anymore than the killing of a rat, a vicious cat or an ugly dog" James Butler Hickok when asked if he ever thought about the men he had killed.

Offline Lead Waster

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #169 on: October 02, 2013, 05:58:04 PM »
Where are you guys buying the WHEELS for the carts?

Thanks!

Offline harleydavis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #C31 SASS #3740 NRA GAF #394 5th Minn. Infry
  • SASS #: 3640
  • NCOWS #: C31
  • GAF #: 934
  • Liked:
« Reply #170 on: October 14, 2013, 10:01:26 AM »
Where are you guys buying the WHEELS for the carts?

Thanks!

These old so called "goat carts" come with wooden wheels as seen in my pics. Gotta watch out anymore, some of the running gear/bodies on these carts are pretty tough condition. Used to get them pretty cheap when the Berlin Wall came down, but now they are much more costly than they used to be. They can be found at antique shows in the $200-$250 range. Dont know where the fellers are getting the wheels for the carts that they are building themselves but a search on Amazon brings some up @ $90 (+ or -) apiece.
I remain, respectfully,
Harley Davis
"I do not believe in ghosts so I do not burn a candle waiting for them. As to the killing of a bad man, when it comes to a fight, it is the other man or me. And when the deed is done, why bother the mind? Afterall, the killing of a bad man should not bother anymore than the killing of a rat, a vicious cat or an ugly dog" James Butler Hickok when asked if he ever thought about the men he had killed.

Offline jimbobborg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #171 on: December 30, 2013, 08:27:27 PM »
I took a golf club bag, cut some of the dividers out, and strapped it to the matching cart.  I fit a scoped AR, a scoped 10/22, and a semi-auto shotgun in where the clubs normally went, and the bags on the front and sides held the ammo and magazines I needed for my match.  I wish I still had it, looks like I'll be picking up another set. 

Offline Marshall John Joseph

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #172 on: May 27, 2017, 02:09:39 PM »

A Buddy helped me build it.  I gave him plans and materials, he used his woodworking skills to put it together.

MJJ

Offline Sergeant Klondike

• Texas Territorial Detachment
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NRA Life Member, SASS 11461
  • Liked:
« Reply #173 on: November 04, 2017, 03:10:06 PM »
After months of gathering supplies, equipment, uniform items and material.  I've finally finished my RNWMP Mountie persona/impression and gun cart.   I wanted a unique gun cart fitting a Mountie.   The dog sled moves easily without wheels.  After a few field tests, I decide if it needs a system with wheels.

"Law and Order Every Time That's Us" - Turkey Creek Jack Johnson, Tombstone Territory

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #174 on: November 05, 2017, 09:40:26 AM »
Outstanding!

(Perhaps a team of good sled dogs would make it easier to move around ... ?   ;D  )

Now you need a "faux NWMP Model 1876 Winchester" chambered in a pistol caliber for CAS,  like the one I had made up on a Model 1873 action in .45 Colt -

Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #175 on: November 05, 2017, 10:19:02 AM »
Welcome back, Jack!
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #176 on: November 05, 2017, 04:40:45 PM »
Outstanding!

(Perhaps a team of good sled dogs would make it easier to move around ... ?   ;D  )

Now you need a "faux NWMP Model 1876 Winchester" chambered in a pistol caliber for CAS,  like the one I had made up on a Model 1873 action in .45 Colt -

Thanks, Rattlesnake!   I agree, dogs would be an eyeful in Texas.  I've been considering the NWMP rifle.  In the spring, I'll be in San Antonio, Texas for a chuckwagon event.   When I'm down that way, I always stop at Texas Jacks.  They sell the NWMP rifle.  I don't believe they have 45LC.   I think they carry 45-60 and 45-75 calipers.
"Law and Order Every Time That's Us" - Turkey Creek Jack Johnson, Tombstone Territory

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #177 on: November 05, 2017, 05:24:02 PM »
Yes, I've also got one of the modern reproductions (chambered in the appropriate .45-75 cartridge) but of course can't use it in regular CAS stages ... Don't think anyone has ever made a reproduction or lookalike chambered in a pistol caliber, which is why I had the "faux" one pictured above made for me in .45 Colt ...

Here I am holding my .45-75 Model 1876 reproduction at Fort Macleod in 2012 (in my CAS persona of "Rattlesnake Jack, Scout, Rockly Mountain Rangers") when PJ Hardtack (who just posted above) and I presented a display and demonstration of period firearms -

Same trip, inside the museum by their display of an original NWMP '76 Winchester -

And here are PJ, in his persona of an 1860's (I believe) Royal Engineers Sergeant-Major, and I with a couple of the interpreters at Fort Macleod -  

Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #178 on: November 05, 2017, 06:18:06 PM »
That was a fun occasion! Firing inside the Fort which is right downtown in Fort Macleod. We wowed the crowd.

The young man in the breech clout is a for real Blackfoot who does the narrating as the kids do their Musical Ride presentation. He and the young Metis interpreter were happy to fire as well.

Actually my rank is that of a Srjt. of Royal Engineers. The Crown was accorded to RE Srjt's due to their specialized qualifications. I was there ostensibly to inspect the Fort at the behest of the NWMP.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #179 on: November 06, 2017, 06:08:46 AM »
Rattlesnake/PJ,  I really like the rifle.  The one used in Crossfire Trail was an eye catcher too.   You both, have done an excellent job perfecting your persona's.   It's easy to see, you both invested a lot of time, research and money.  I enjoy learning and seeing photos of other shooters persona's and equipment.   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com