46 (11.3%)
I bought it from a supplier
45 (11.1%)
I don't have a guncart
80 (19.7%)
I bought it used
4 (1%)

Total Members Voted: 382

Author Topic: Tell me about your guncart  (Read 225296 times)

Offline Cookie

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Tell me about your guncart
« Reply #140 on: May 19, 2010, 03:09:07 PM »
When I attended my first SASS shoot last month, a guncart wasn't high on my list of needs (I still needed a rifle and scattergun at that point). But after standing for several hours in the hot sun, a comfy seat was soon a high priority.

With most guncarts I saw the seat (if they even had a seat) was an afterthought. However being of rather generous girth, and with a bum leg, in my case the seat was first priorty. So what better than to convert an actual chair to a gun cart?

Behold, the gunCHAIR!  :o

It only holds 2 long guns, but that's all I have at the moment. :D  But because they're mounted to the side, they don't point in your face when you're walking with it.

And the seat back itself is a great handle, so I don't have to worry about adding one (as I originally planned).

I started with a used (bought at a thrift store for $25) "glider" rocking chair. Removed the bottom half of the glider hinge, and just kept the chair portion. The only additions were to add the wheels and axle, construct a storage box under the seat, and add the gun holders to the back. Since the chair was used, I did need to tighten things up a bit, but overall, it was a really easy build.

The gun holders were tricky to visualize, since it's an odd shape to work with, but even then they only took about 2 hours or so to complete. The front legs gave me the most trouble. I used the original legs, sawn in half, and screwed to the chair. However, I didn't make them as strong as I should have at first. So they needed to be reinforced.

The seat already had the hole in the middle. I just removed the foam pad, the springs underneath, and added a hinged seat that is padded with foam, and covered with leather look-alike upholstery. This is the lid for the storage box.

My wife thought I was crazy when I described this to her. But now that it's finished she thinks my fellow gunslingers will be mighty jealous.

So far it's 90% complete. I also plan on recovering the original backrest in matching brown (it's an ugly blue cloth right now), as well as adding an umbrella holder, and using an idea I saw here to create foot rest out of a wood-covered bucket. Finally, I also plan on adding some period-correct spoked wheels.

The only downside so far is that it's pretty hefty. Maybe 15-20lbs, empty. So it's no good for someone with a bad back. I'm also assuming it'll bog down pretty easily. But dang, is it comfy!  :D

I'll post additional pics as it progresses if anyone's interested.

Offline rebsr52339

• Bowie Knife Dick (SASS#87007)
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #141 on: May 24, 2010, 12:32:38 PM »
Cookie, that is just American ingenuity at its greatest. Good show.  ;D
Bowie Knife Dick
NCOWS #3318
SASS #87007
RATS #564
ABKA #23

Offline Deja vous

• Top Active Citizen
  • Branson 2009
  • Liked:
« Reply #142 on: June 25, 2010, 01:38:16 PM »
My guncart,, gosh, my is plain and ordinary.. I love some of the nice ones on this thread.. how cool...  Okay, mine is used, and it has the wheels with the spokey like stuff you might see on a cart.  Its the regular style with room for all my guns, a larger box at the bottom for my junk and shot gun shells, and a little box at the top for my wetwipes cuz I make a mess, and my bullets as I need them.  It put a new board on the front to help hold the guns in but it is a different color rignt now.  And I added some padding.  It has a  couple hooks for a bag for the brass.  Some people have the best ideas and I just enoy seeing them.  But mine is just ordinary... but I love it cuz it works..
Even lightening strikes twice at times,  Deja Vous

Advertising

« Reply #143 on: Today at 09:05:42 PM »

Offline dangerranger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #143 on: July 14, 2010, 04:19:53 AM »
heres mine,Radio flyer, first I added 4" to the handle. they were made for kids to pull. then I added the long gun rack.

it removes and also folds flat for transport. this is the latch that holds its angle at the axle.

this is the atachment to the wagon.

the only change Id make is making it bigger. it only holds four long guns. DR
Life is a rush into the unknown, You can duck down real low and hope nothing hits you, Or stand up tall, show it your teeth,and say "Dish it up Baby and dont get stingy with the Peppers!!!"

Offline Olive Mae Burr

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #144 on: July 14, 2010, 10:57:13 AM »
Being that I'm just a little thing, 'bout 5' tall and 130lbs, and I'm a college student who lives in a tiny efficiency apartment, I built mine with size, storability, expense and wieght in mind. I wish a had a pic to show you. It's made out of scrap lumber that I took out of my granpapa's barn, the main frame it out of a piece of conduit, (I did have help bending that to the right shape), and has a good size removable tin box (that was at one time cooler I think my dad bought about 35-40 years ago). The only thing that LOOKS half-way decent on it is the box since I did take the time to paint it. I get mixed comments on the thing, some about how gosh darn ugly the thing is and others about how well it folds up nice and the fuctionality of the thing. With the box off, it folds up near flat and I have no problem hefting it in and out of my car by myself. It holds up to four long guns and I can fit more than I need in the box. All-in-all, it does the job it's supposed to and I don't have to aquisition help to load or unload the thing.
Five-Foot nuthin' but tuffer than some.

Offline Two Spurs

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #145 on: July 26, 2010, 11:58:25 AM »
http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/jj255/mickeyboat/?action=view&current=012.jpg

The above photos shows a slightly different type of gun cart.  Wife and I needed a cart that would haul the most in the lightest weight cart we could find.  To roll over pea gravel easily a three wheel cart was chosen. The entire cart is made from quarter inch plywood.  Bought the baby stroller from Goodwill for $15.  Had to put on new heavy duty tires, heavy duty tubes, tire liners, and green slime to allow it to be pushed around the cactus in the desert.  My son has built another cart using this cart as a model.  The photos show a foam core mockup I had to make to get all the angles correct.

Very slick design Gold Canyon. It's always neat to see someone thinking outside the box.  ;)

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #146 on: September 08, 2010, 07:40:24 PM »
Here is my Sun&Air taking a ride with "The Grey Fox" SASS #223.  The guncart is a replica of an antique horseless carriage built on a riding lawnmower! The photo was taken at the HQ match in Victoria BC on August 21,2010.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Black Tooth Zach

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #147 on: January 16, 2011, 07:52:25 PM »
Great thread.  I'm getting the parts together to build my gun cart, and the pictures and ideas here will be a big help.
Black Tooth Zach
SASS #88221

Offline Cholla Bob

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #148 on: February 26, 2011, 04:30:31 PM »
Just finished my first guncart.  It has a removable ammo box and breaks down for transport.  And it doesn't take 3 men and a boy to load it in the car after a match.   :P
"I'm looking for the owner of that horse. He's tall, blonde, he smokes a cigar, and he's a pig! "

Offline Icebox Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #149 on: February 26, 2011, 09:41:02 PM »
Bin meenin to post mine fer awhile -
Well.... see, if you take your time, you get a more harmonious outcome.

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #150 on: August 25, 2011, 11:58:49 PM »
Just finished my first guncart.  It has a removable ammo box and breaks down for transport.  And it doesn't take 3 men and a boy to load it in the car after a match.   :P

Mine is similar got plans of internet several years ago.  Keep meaning to add cooler shelf rear between wheels.  Tray up by handls for cell phone and misc tools and a removable insert for BP C&B loading.  Also need to add side handle and umbrella holding mechanism.  Maybe a couple of eyes to hold my home made squib rod.  Made the mistake of making it from oak so it is heavy and a broke a few brass screws.

Next time unless I design something really cool I will buy one.  Have over $300 in it and it kinda sucks - my fault - just sayin like trying to save money reloading - you don't but do get to shoot more for money willing to spend.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Stew

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #151 on: September 06, 2011, 07:02:02 AM »
I built this a few years back.

Offline Lewie Girardeau

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #152 on: September 22, 2011, 09:49:21 AM »

HIYA!!

Hey I bet we would get along great!!
     Same HOBBY'S,

SHOOTING!!

RAILROADING!!

WOODWORKING!!

AND MAKING SWARF!!

Nice Cart even if it is heavy.

Lewie

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
« Reply #153 on: October 25, 2011, 07:41:03 PM »
I'm surprised more folks are not using enclosed gun boxes on their carts.
I'm new at this so the questions keep flying. Do you transport your rifles in regular gun cases and then remove them and place them in the cart for the ride down the range?

Why wouldn't you use wooden rifle cases like these....

One or two guns in each box with (or without) removable lids.

Get to the range....Set up cart....install boxes with guns already in them......GO!

I saw this cart at the last shoot I went to.

Which was very nice when it rained.......Everything for a full day of shooting was contained. Slide right into the back of a PU or a station wagon and go........

Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
« Reply #154 on: December 25, 2011, 06:56:04 AM »
Guess it's time for an update..............

I got my cart finished.

A whole article about it here:

http://rvbprecision.com/

Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Offline Red Cent

• Top Active Citizen
    • Red Cent Custom Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #155 on: January 28, 2012, 10:09:26 AM »
First cart build about 2002.

Life is too short to argue with stupid people and drink cheap booze
McLeansville, NC by way of WV
SASS29170L

Offline Dances With Coyotes

• Dark Lord of the Soot apprentice
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #156 on: January 29, 2012, 12:00:41 PM »
An old rusty hand truck (dolly) I cut a piece of plywood the same width as old milk crate I had laying around and bolted it to the metal shelf of the truck. Then used bungee cord to secure the milk crate to the wood, And wouldn't you know it the milk crate is just big enough for a 5 gal bucket with a swivel seat top to fit down inside it. I use that as a empty shell dump and water bottle holder, etc.etc...I got two ATV gun mounts at Academy and bolted them to the sides of the dolly and the wood shelf. I've got two canvas bags up on the handle attached with a carabiner. One has shotgun shells in it the other has pistol/rifle rounds.........total money spent: About $25 bucks.
All you need is love and a .45

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
« Reply #157 on: January 29, 2012, 04:21:46 PM »
Today I built a new Gun Cart for my shooting buddy Purgatory Pic.....

I think it came out pretty good for a few hours work!

You can see pictures of it here:

www.rvbprecision.com
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Offline HolliferADollar

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #158 on: February 14, 2012, 11:52:11 AM »
I have 2 carts that I built, one that holds 6 guns & a cooler, for use in summer (it gets dad gone hot here in FLA in the summer) & a compact 2 gun cart that I use in the cooler months when getting baked by the sun/boiled by the humidity isn't a problem.
Panhandle Cattle Company
Big Bend Bushwhackers
Panhandle Cowboys
SASS #91847
1860 Henry roster #151

Offline Cholla Bob

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #159 on: February 14, 2012, 05:11:31 PM »
I do like that umbrella, gonna have to do an upgrade on my buggy. ;D
"I'm looking for the owner of that horse. He's tall, blonde, he smokes a cigar, and he's a pig! "

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com