46 (11.3%)
I bought it from a supplier
45 (11.1%)
I don't have a guncart
80 (19.7%)
I bought it used
4 (1%)

Total Members Voted: 382

Author Topic: Tell me about your guncart  (Read 225303 times)

Offline Lewie Girardeau

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Tell me about your guncart
« Reply #120 on: March 21, 2010, 05:39:18 PM »

Hey Everybody....

I have been thinking of a cart and wanted to make a cedar coffin. Thought of making a poplar frame and covering it with cedar closet lining.
         The thing that is bugging me up is how to put wheels into it, with the narrower size of the base the only way I can think of is to have an axle housing sticking way out the sides of the bottom or the back side.
         Can anyone give some advise on this ?
         I figure it will have to be at least 15 to 16 inches at the base, flare out with shelf's at the wide part then taper back down toward the top to the first measurement. I thought of putting lips on the shelf's for ammo storage
         I think some tung oil or danish oil rubbed in would make the color or the wood just pop out at ya!
         I would have already started on this but being in the army all my tools are in the storage unit, so that has a big affect on what I make!!

Louie Girardeau
                                                                                               Rob Wright

Offline rebsr52339

• Bowie Knife Dick (SASS#87007)
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #121 on: April 01, 2010, 01:43:10 PM »
After attending a few Cowboy matches and photographing several score of carts I decided I could build one myself. The total cost in materials was about $60 including the wheels I got from Northern. The wood is a good grade of birch 1/2 in ply on sale because it had a damaged edge($21). The ammo carrier and the cooler rack both fold up into the handle assembly and it all comes out and lays flat in the bed of my truck. I remove the guns(4) first as it is easier to store them in their cases. The accessories box in front is removable and I will pad it later for a seat. It actually is about 6" too high and would reduce the handle etc. by that dimension if I had it to do all over again. All in all it works very well and I will add more later such as a coat hanger, hand gun holder etc.
Bowie Knife Dick
NCOWS #3318
SASS #87007
RATS #564
ABKA #23

Offline rebsr52339

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #122 on: April 01, 2010, 01:45:16 PM »
Here are a couple more.
Bowie Knife Dick
NCOWS #3318
SASS #87007
RATS #564
ABKA #23

Advertising

« Reply #123 on: Today at 10:38:30 PM »

Offline Adirondack Jack

• Top Active Citizen
    • www.cowboy45special.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #123 on: April 01, 2010, 11:42:24 PM »

Hey Everybody....

I have been thinking of a cart and wanted to make a cedar coffin. Thought of making a poplar frame and covering it with cedar closet lining.
         The thing that is bugging me up is how to put wheels into it, with the narrower size of the base the only way I can think of is to have an axle housing sticking way out the sides of the bottom or the back side.
         Can anyone give some advise on this ?
         I figure it will have to be at least 15 to 16 inches at the base, flare out with shelf's at the wide part then taper back down toward the top to the first measurement. I thought of putting lips on the shelf's for ammo storage
         I think some tung oil or danish oil rubbed in would make the color or the wood just pop out at ya!
         I would have already started on this but being in the army all my tools are in the storage unit, so that has a big affect on what I make!!

Louie Girardeau
                                                                                               Rob Wright

Louie, I have built a lightweight coffin, (full sized, used as a CAS vendor merchandise display and also as a cargo box on my MC trailer)
  and here's my recommendation.  Build up yer coffin box using ripped down pine sticks at the joints and to form reinforcing battons inside, and 1/4" panelling of some sort as the skin.  I used underlayment plywood.  the completed coffin is urethaned with satin exterior urethane.   Rip down 3/8" thick pine mouldings to cover the joints in the skin.  Use screws and glue on structural stuff, brad nails and glue on trim.  My full-sized coffin only weighs 30 lbs.

THEN frame up a basic, very light handcart ala the one's they used to move wooden crates and barrels back in the day and mount yer coffin on it using a couple of wingnuts or some such to secure the box to the frame of the handcart. The box would happily sit on the cart frame, but a couple of screws and wingnuts to hold it fast when used as a gun cart would unitize it but allow the box to be easily removed from the "chassis".  Then use the traditional method of attaching the wheels to the handcart chassis with a straight solid axle and clevis pin clips (again for ease of removal for transport/storage).  It'll look just like what it is, a coffin being moved about on a handcart.  Plow handles can be bought that would make great handcart vertical rails/handles.....  Interior should be kept very light.  Use simple cutout "rack" forms and either leather or pipe insulation to make upper and lower cradles for guns, etc.

here's my MC trailer with the coffin box...

It wasn't quite done in this pic.  The internal brace was temporary and is now cut out.  The trailer now has a tailgate, lights and fenders added.  the coffin box lid has a water-tiight gasket made up with white silicone and four "tool box latches" hold the lid secure for travel.  I've taken guns, ammo, clothes, merchendise, etc, everything except a gun cart needed for a three day shoot (stayed in a pard's RV) in the box, towed behind the bike.

Here it is in use as a vendor display.
Warthog, Dirty Rat, SBSS OGBx3, maker of curious little cartridges

Offline rebsr52339

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #124 on: April 06, 2010, 12:47:31 PM »
Jack, that is realy neet. Now I wish I had my HOG back.    ;D   Dang it.   :-[
Bowie Knife Dick
NCOWS #3318
SASS #87007
RATS #564
ABKA #23

Offline Swifty Morgan

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #125 on: April 12, 2010, 10:34:19 AM »
Awsome carts!!!

RTH

Offline rebsr52339

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #126 on: April 18, 2010, 04:54:03 AM »
Louie, been thinking about what you said about the wheel placement on the coffin and how far they would stick out.

" I figure it will have to be at least 15 to 16 inches at the base, flare out with shelf's at the wide part then taper back down toward the top to the first measurement."

Think about this, cut an axle in half and mount it on the backside of the coffin so that each axle protrudes perpendicular to the side. That way the wheels will be close to and parallel to the coffin side and although canted at an angle it would not impede the rolling ability of the cart. I can mail you a sketch if you PM me your address.

Bowie Knife Dick
NCOWS #3318
SASS #87007
RATS #564
ABKA #23

Offline Lewie Girardeau

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #127 on: April 18, 2010, 08:24:26 AM »

WOW...

Pulling it on the back of a bike, I am sure you get interesting looks on the way to shoots! I bet the MP's would spazz out if I pulled up to the gate pulling that!! It would be a photo op for sure!!
     I love it though that is just about just what I was thinking of, I was thinking a little smaller but the same none the less.

Lewie Girardeau   

Offline Lewie Girardeau

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #128 on: April 18, 2010, 08:56:38 AM »

Hey Everybody,

You know come to think of it a railroad freight dolly sits at an angle when not being used, if you put metal inserts on the bottom of the coffin and T bolts on the freight dolly all you would have to do is tilt it fore ward and the whole rig would still be attached and everything would be at a slight angle to the back.
   So, All your firearms would be leaning back into their racks.

Lewie

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #129 on: April 18, 2010, 09:09:40 AM »
Hi,

I have been following your thread with interest, but it seems time to make myself known.

I want to build a gun cart the looks like an old shipping box/ streamer trunk, and would sit on a Railroad style hand truck.

I have bought 5' Plow Handles, but am unable to find a source for the metal parts of a Railroad Style Hand Truck

Since you have mentioned it, I am hoping you may have found some sources ...
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Lewie Girardeau

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #130 on: April 18, 2010, 10:49:10 AM »

HIYA,

Try looking around Discover Live Steam Online, they have scale and real stuff in their for sale page.

Offline Lewie Girardeau

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #131 on: April 18, 2010, 10:56:18 AM »

HIYA Again,

Try this company.
    They also have stuby axle kits.

http://www.rptrading.biz/SteelWagonWheels.html  

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #132 on: April 18, 2010, 11:26:25 AM »
Hi Back,

Thanks for the suggestions ... I just sent emails to both resources to see if they had something like what I am looking for ...

What I hope to do is use an old antique hand truck as a bed for an antique looking Steamship Trunk or something similar.

Of course, once opened, it would show itself to be a gunbox with yoked beds for long guns, holsters for short guns on the sides,

and ammo storage below to keep the weight low ...
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline Lewie Girardeau

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #133 on: April 18, 2010, 04:00:41 PM »

HIYA;

You know..... you could go with a freight cart all together and bypass the freight dolly at the same time!
      They had larger wheels in the rear and had a regular type of wagon tounge ( like a hay wagon) if you go with a half scale model your steamer chest would be just about perfect!!
     You could  also get a miniature longhorn steer to pull your cart from the above link, I think the add says the harness comes with the cart. But get ready for this......those long horns cost about 1500 bucks and up each!!
     Then you would have to worry about what the RSO would say about cowpies on the firing line......

Lewie Girardeau

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #134 on: April 18, 2010, 04:11:02 PM »
Lewie,

Good points all; and we havent even discussed how my litte Jetta would get the steer and wagon to a shoot ... so I think I will stay with the original plan.

The 'steamer trunk' will be through bolted to the hand truck with removable stove bolts and wing nuts ... so that the hand truck can go on the Thule Bike rack up on top, and the 'steamer trunk' can go in the back seat or trunk ....

NCOWS #3403

Offline Lewie Girardeau

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #135 on: April 18, 2010, 05:22:12 PM »

You know with a full grown weight of 400 lbs, and only 32" tall you could just wrap the seat belt around it in the passenger seat and from there  LOL!!

Lewie

Offline shrapnel

• There is nothing like the original
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Keeping what made the West safe, alive
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #136 on: April 20, 2010, 10:15:59 PM »
I find it interesting to see how much emphasis placed on the period correct costumes and yet there are golf carts and bicycle tires, etc. used in carts and nothing is said. Those that do, that is their choice, but what makes the the atmosphere of the West come full circle should include wood, leather and materials that would have been used in those days.

There are plenty of opportunities to express yourself in this way and my choice was a coffin. The interior is capable of holding 6 guns, 2 of which can be SXS shotguns. The coffin is simple in design and function. As the pictures illustrate, the guns sit on a rack above the lower level that serves as an ammo shelf. The wagon like wheels serve as nothing more than a way to wheel the cart around.

The coffin is simple, yet functional in that it is also designed to lay down on the legs that can be seen on the back of the cart. They serve as support when the coffin is laid down and can then be sat upon while waiting your turn.

My son and I built this with great plans to make it an elaborate gun toting tool. Once we got it to the point of holding guns, function canceled further plans, and at this point there is still a lot that can be done to make it more serviceable, but this works and it will have to do...

I never considered myself a failure...I started out at the bottom and happen to like it here!

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #137 on: April 21, 2010, 09:10:46 AM »
I have a coffin shaped guncart that I bought used from another shooter. It is a factory made one by a guy who uses the "Don't Tread on Me" logo with the snake. I have been doing NCOWS lately and they don't use guncarts. It's a nice cart with larger spoked wheels which makes it to push around.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Gold Canyon Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #138 on: April 21, 2010, 04:50:11 PM »
http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/jj255/mickeyboat/?action=view&current=012.jpg

The above photos shows a slightly different type of gun cart.  Wife and I needed a cart that would haul the most in the lightest weight cart we could find.  To roll over pea gravel easily a three wheel cart was chosen. The entire cart is made from quarter inch plywood.  Bought the baby stroller from Goodwill for $15.  Had to put on new heavy duty tires, heavy duty tubes, tire liners, and green slime to allow it to be pushed around the cactus in the desert.  My son has built another cart using this cart as a model.  The photos show a foam core mockup I had to make to get all the angles correct.

Offline Lewie Girardeau

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #139 on: April 21, 2010, 06:27:27 PM »

Shrapnel;

I like how you worked the sxs or single barrel gun slots into your cart, that was a very good idea!!
    I was thinking of putting lidded shelfs on the sides where the angles meet, sorta like a secretary's desk to hold little things and such, maybe a 2 hinged lid (panio hinges ) if you were looking down at it, one hinge lifts the lid and the second moves it over toward the outside edge of the coffin, but then again I had no thoughts of more than 3 maybe 4 long guns. and the revolvers would go in the bottom compartment or the other side or into little slots and just ammo on the bottom in a second compartment.

If you went with a smaller sized coffin ( young adult ) it would be small enough to slide into the back seat of a 4 door car!!

Lewie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com