Author Topic: Shotgun question that's new  (Read 4144 times)

Offline jrdudas

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Shotgun question that's new
« on: October 25, 2004, 02:03:58 PM »
In the past couple of months I have become interested in CAS and have been researching which guns are appropriate and approved.  No problem deciding on the handgun and rifle, but the shotgun is another story; actually I have come to the point of frustration with this issue.  The only 97's I have found are in poor condition and every SxS I have shouldered feels like the stock is too short.   

Today during one of my frequent visits to the local gun shop I saw a 12Ga shotgun that raises a question in my mind.  I know the rules regarding SxS guns and the Winchester 97, & 87, and the exposed hammer Marlin's of the same vintage, but I have not read anything about the gun I saw today.  It's a "Semi-auto"  (wait, don't scream just yet).  The tag says it's a Remington, but I do not remember seeing Remington stamped anywhere on the gun.  There was also no model number that I could find.  On the barrel (28") is stamped "Manufactured under Browning Patents, Oct 1899, month?/1901, month?/1903"  This indicates to me that this design was patented before 1900.  Is that the SASS legal requirement (before 1900) or am I misinterpreting the rule.  The gun is obviously quite old as the blueing is worn off of the receiver section and the design of the receiver looks very similiar to the Marlin (Widowmaker) design (square looking).  Anyone have any knowledge of this gun?  I cannot imagine that there would be any unfair advantage by using this gun for SASS events; just limit the loading to two shells like the 97 and the SxS's.

Thanks in advance for you info,

John

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
Re: Shotgun question that's new
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2004, 02:16:05 PM »
Sorry, jrdudas. Even though is has a patent date of 1899, Semi-autos are not allowed in SASS.
The gun you are referring to sounds like the Remington model 11 which is the same as the Browning A-5. Here is a link about it.
http://www.chuckhawks.com/browning_A-5.htm

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Handmade Pistol Grips
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2004, 02:45:24 PM »
You might also consider a Norinco '97.  It's a clone of the Winchester.  Alternatively, if you find a SxS that you like, you could just have a recoil pad installed.  That'll lengthen it an inch without having to do any major surgery.

Hope this helps.

Doc

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:57:00 PM »

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2004, 09:30:54 PM »
I agree with Slim on the Model no., also with Doc about semi-autos not being legal. Concentrate on the SxS's or exposed hammer pumps..........Buck 8) ;D
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Klondike

• Very Active Citizen
    • Cowtown Katy's Emporium
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2004, 06:22:04 PM »
Besides, if you get a good 97 and with some practice you can run about as fast as an automatic. ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com