Author Topic: Targets hangin' on chain?  (Read 4293 times)

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Targets hangin' on chain?
« on: February 01, 2007, 01:48:12 PM »
I didn't wanna highjack Cyrille's target thread.  So here goes 'nother target one...

I see very few CAS targets at other clubs that hang on chain.  We have several that do.  And we have no problem with them.  They ring & swing nicely!  And no splatter to speak of. 

Is there a reason that these ain't real popular?  ???   ???   ???   ???   ???

MG
The target builder
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Targets hangin' on chain?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 03:05:53 PM »
Didn’t have ‘em hangin’ from a chain but we had ‘em loose ‘nuff they’d turn.  Ya get someone doin’ a double tap on a pistol target when the thing is angled wrong ya got a problem.

I was at the unloadin’ table at old Pungo.  Got smacked in the cheek.  Next thing I knew I was drippin’ blood on my pistol.  Someone else finished unloadin’ for me ‘n stuck ‘em back in the cart while they drug me ta the parkin’ lot.  The ole boy whut cleaned ‘n taped it up wanted me to go get a stitch or two.  But I wanted to shoot ‘n I weren’t goin’ nowhere.

Worst I’ve been hurt in ten years – knock on wood – doin’ this silly stuff.  We ain’t hung ‘em like that since.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 05:59:56 PM »
I got me a set of 20" X 22" tombstones that hang on a pair of chains (slip-hook brackets near the top in the upper corners on the back). 
They hang well, at maybe 20 degress of slant.  We use 'em for pistol dump targets & shotgun targets.

No problems yet.  Jus' wonderin' what others have run into. So far, all like 'em.

MG
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:57:54 AM »

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 06:18:47 PM »
More we keep the faces of the targets parallel to the line the better.

Usin’ Artzen ‘n Mawbray – ‘n ain’t neither spelled right – targets.  Put out some coin a couple months ago ‘n bought the Artzen stands.  They hold ‘em real nice.  They’re easy ta store ‘n set up.

When I got cut we had ‘em on hooks.  Returned ta center real quick with a sweep.  Consecutive shots, not so well.  In testin’ there wasn’t anyone at a loadin’ or unloadin’ table.  Did that in the middle of the week with just three or four of us there.

All healed up now.  Glad it was me ‘n not one of the regulars whut just come out, pay their fee ‘n shoot.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 08:08:14 PM »
Glad you're healin' up fine, Arcey.

Our chain tombsone targets come back to center almost immediately (even with a 12 ga shotgun blast).  An' of course we NEVER write a stage wit' a shotgun doubletap.  When shot with a revolver they hardly swing at all.  Heck, not much movement even with WARTHOG LOADS.

So you like them Arntzen irons?  We bought a few for ENGC & they do set up real nice. 

MG
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 08:38:38 AM »
Oh yeah.  We bought twenty of 'em.

Expensive? Yeah.  We've already taken a hunk out of what we owe the parent club for the purchase.  They'll be paid off 'fore long.  Then we'll be lookin' at what to spend money on next.................

Offline Sgt. Eli

• Very Active Citizen
  • areeba
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 09:42:00 AM »
I shoot at a club that hangs targets from chains and our posse has had a taste of lead when a shooter blasts more of the chain than the target with a shotgun. Our club uses Artzen steel, excellent stuff, ours is going on 5 years with no problems and with our target stands we haven't even had to turn them in 2 years. I can't really describe our stands, i'll need to get a pic and post it, but they hold the target angled back away from shooter and have no more than 1/4" of side movement. No hooks or bolts stick out on the face of the target. I shoot at a club that uses the Artzen stands, the 3 legged folders and they are always having to go downrange to reset one that has fallen over. I think they are just a little too tall getting a might top heavy, plus part of it may just be their soil type at the range.
~Marion County Renegades~
TG for Lakewood Marshals
Guns of August Midwest Regional~1st Classic Cowboy~2007
Illinois State Champ~ 1st Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter~2006
Illinois State Champ~ 1st Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter~2007
Missouri State Shoot~1st Classic Cowboy~2004
Tennessee State Shoot~1st Classic Cowboy~2008

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com