Author Topic: **NEW UPDATE** Reproduction Blakeslee Cartridge Cases - Comparison Question  (Read 18969 times)

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Hello SSS,

Unless I've missed someone, there are seven companies selling reproduction Blakeslee Cartridge Cases also known as "Quickloaders". 

(1) Taylors & Co. has a six tube model with tins and strap selling for $277.00; (2) SS Firearms has a six tube model with tins and strap selling for $150.00; (3) Blockade Runner has a six tube model with tins and strap selling for $99.95; and (4) the Romano Rifle Co. apparently offers both a 6 and 10 tube model - but, when I click on their web site for pricing information, nothing happens, the pricing information never appears. If you know the pricing schedule for their Blakeslees, please post them or PM them to me.  (5) http://www.civilwarleather.com. It's a wood block drilled for six or ten tubes (included), leather wrapped, with sling and marked "Blakeslee Cartridge Box, U.S., Patd December 20, 1864, R.Gaylord, Chicopee, Mass.". Price is around $225 plus shipping for either the six or ten tube models: and new listing for (6)  http://www.Heritageleathercw.com has a 6 tube Blakeslee complete with strap for $267.75: (7)  http://www.periodleather.com/products.cfm?CatID=3 has a 6 tube Blakeslee, complete, for $210.00

My question is - can someone comment on the quality of the different models sold by the various companies listed above?  There is an incredible difference in the price of the Blakeslees currently being sold. So does this difference in price translate into a marked difference in the quality of the Blakeslees being sold?

If you own a Blakeslee from any of the above named companies your comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Two Flints 

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline gotzguns

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Modern Blakeslee "Quickloader" Cartridge Cases - Comparison Question
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 11:43:05 PM »
have the taylor's box. is very well made and the tubes all fit and remove easily. no complants. have used it for nearly a year and still going strong. gotzguns

Offline bluesuit01

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Modern Blakeslee "Quickloader" Cartridge Cases - Comparison Question
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 08:02:25 AM »
I have the Blockade Runner version. I have info and pictures in another post here. I have only used it in one "battle" so far, but I am very pleased with it.

"I received my box from Blockade Runner a couple of weeks ago. Without claiming to be an expert on leather or cartridge boxes, I found it to be very well made. I have a .45 Schofield, and use .44-40 brass as blanks. Obviously, this brass fit into and poured out of the tubes with no problems. I used it on the field at Richmond, KY this past weekend. Before buying the box, I carried my rounds in water pipe tubes in a haversack. The box was far more convenient and lighter. I recover my brass from the chamber as I shoot. It was a simple matter to drop the expended round into an empty tube after each shot. The only problem I had was when kneeling or in a position where tension came off of the shoulder strap, the hook on the strap would come loose. This was no real problem as the box is attached to the belt. I fixed this when I got home by attaching a sword belt snap hook instead of the open hook".

"Pics appear below. The wooden box is a one-piece block drilled all the way through. It is not finished at all, just plain wood. I forgot to mention one modification I made in my last post. I pulled the block out and added a block about a half inch thick in the bottom of the case. This makes the block and the tubes stick up a little higher. The top of the case doesn't close down tight on the tubes otherwise. I found that a round could actually slip out of a tube when it was turned up, which will happen when taking the sword belt on and off. Now there isn't room for that to happen.  The tubes are tin and seem sturdy enough for the task. They fit snuggly, but not tight at all. They can be easily drawn and returned. Anybody has any questions about the case, I'll be glad to answer".

Top of Blakeslee

Front of Blakeslee

Back of Blakeslee

Blakeslee Sling

Blakeslee and Sword Belt

Blakeslee Tool Pouch

Bluesuit01

Timothy Downey
I Company, 8th KY Cavalry
Spencer Shooting Society #96
Grand Army of the Frontier #408

Advertising

Offline Hoot-3rd Ga

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Gentlemen: My first Blakeslee 6 tube box was an "import" probably made in India or Pakistan judging from the leather and the stitching. It reminded me of the cheap India made Enfield bayonet scabbords I've seen carried by many sutlers. The tanning process was so poor that hairline cracks develop in it whenever it is flexed. I purchased the box from S & S Firearms for $125. It would probably hold up to light occasional use for several years. Since I am used to better quality in CW leatherwork, I took it to Tommy Johnson @ The Calvary Shop. He used it for the brass, the wood block and a pattern and made a "real" one out of American high grade leather and sturdy waxed thread in the stitching. It cost another $85 but was well worth the price. I do not fault S & S Firearms for it's quality because it is competitively priced and all the occasional user probably needs. In the N-SSA, Spencer shooters go up against the much faster Henry breechloaders in team events which requires not only accuracy but the shortest possible reload time. This means using the Blakeslee box every time you go out to practice. If at all possible try to look at a Blakeslee box before you buy one.      Hoot - 3rd Ga   N-SSA

Offline Bead Swinger

• Bead Swinger
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Evans New Model
  • Liked:
Anybody know where I could get the wood block for a 10-tube Blakeslee? Maybe a tin too?
1860 Rifle SN 23954

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
Howdy,

Go to Civil War Leather http://www.civilwarleather.com/CW.html  They have a ten tube and their quality is EXCELLENT!  (I had one of their ten tube when I owned an original 1860 in 56-56.  They sell both 6 and 10 tube models and run about $225.  Great stuff.

I had a similar experience with the S&S Blakeslee.  They are made in Pakistan.  I returned mine the day after I got it.  I think the leather was urine tanned like they do in Mexico.  That caused the small cracks and dryness.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Cav Trooper old account

• Citizen
  • Liked:
I bought a 6 tube about a year ago from Blockade Runner and the strap was almost cracked in half. I called and they sent me another with the same problem. The box was ok but they finally refunded some money for the strap since they didn't have any more to swap out at the time. I salvaged a strap from some other piece I had laying around. I noticed the box I have has a sewn leather hing strap and I believe the originals had a brass hinge?

Cav Trooper
Sgt. L Galaske
71st AHC S. Vietnam
2nd ACR W. Germany
1966/1969

Offline Steel-eye Steve

• Very Active Citizen
    • 1st Wisconsin Cavalry
  • Liked:
I have the Tayler box and it has held up for 5 seasons of mounted reenacting.
www.1stwisconsincav.org

"We'll hang Jeff Davis from a sour apple tree."

Offline Gunbarrel

• Citizen
  • Liked:
I recently bought a replica 13-tube Blakeslee cartridge box at a militaria shop for $295. I bought it as a used item, but it appears unused. The seller believed that it was used for display.  It is very well made, hand-made, and it has no markings on it. I’d like to know who made it, if anyone knows for sure. The leather is thick and well-finished. The hardware is brass, and the tubes are made of some kind of ferrous alloy, as a magnet sticks to them. They are well-machined, flared at the top. The bottoms are either machined metal, or wood.

Thanks in advance,
GB

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com