Author Topic: Serial number request and parts source  (Read 2234 times)

Offline Carbinekid

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Serial number request and parts source
« on: December 10, 2017, 01:39:31 PM »
I am new to Spencer rifles and would like  to know a few things:

1) Model 1865, Serial number 28832, manufactured by Burnside Rifle Co.  - what else can be determined by this serial number?

2) It is missing a few parts: middle band with swivel and screw (located on the front inch of the forearm)

3) Not sure of the name - it is in front of the trigger and permits it going to single shot?? The screw is there but not the lever.

4) How to clean the rust off without damaging the gun or its value.

5) What is a good parts source?

Offline Herbert

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Serial number request and parts source
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 01:55:26 PM »
It seems you have a Springfield converted Spencer Burncide carbine to Military rifle.the parts you are looking for are different than Spencer parts,the band is off a 1868 trapdoor and the cutoff can be a Springdield made one or a original Burncide one,parts can be obtained from S&S.clean with fine bronze wool an plemty of oil,take your time and it will come op nicely,do not over clean or remove any finish that remains or value will decreas

Offline Carbinekid

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 05:22:53 AM »
Thank you for the information.

Please explain what you mean by a “Springfield converted Burnside carbine to Military”.

About what era was the rifle used?

I am not sure how the rifle ended up in my fathers’s possession. He had an older brother who was in the Calvary but that would not have been until around the depression.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:23:26 AM »

Online Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 05:41:54 AM »
Carbine Kid,

There is no serial # information available on Burnside Spencers.  I suggest that you purchase the Marcot book on Spencer Repeating Rifles to get more info on your Burnside Spencer, and all manufactured Spencers.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline DJ

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 07:48:02 AM »
During the western Indian wars--about 1870 (I believe Marcot specifies the exact date), the cavalry requested repeating rifles--they may have specified Winchesters.  The bureaucratic response was to convert a number Burnside Model 1865 carbines into full-length 2-band rifles (Civil War Spencer rifles had three bands).  The cavalry was supposedly underwhelmed and few if any were every issued, or so I've read.

--DJ 

Offline Herbert

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 01:06:41 PM »
Thank you for the information.

Please explain what you mean by a “Springfield converted Burnside carbine to Military”.

About what era was the rifle used?

I am not sure how the rifle ended up in my fathers’s possession. He had an older brother who was in the Calvary but that would not have been until around the depression.
If the carbine has been converted by Springfield it will be fitted with a 1868 Springfield rifle & sights and a new full length for stock the cut off and carbine sling ring was left on if fitted(by your serial number yours would have had one fitted)early ones had no cut off these were machined by Springfield for a cut off made by then

Offline Carbinekid

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 03:10:07 PM »
Thanks to all of you for your responses to my questions.  I checked out the Roy Marcot - Spencer Repeating Rifles book. Very expensive on the used market.  

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com