Author Topic: What do you do as an LEO??  (Read 125103 times)

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: What do you do as an LEO??
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2012, 06:13:33 PM »
Odd that this topic should become active now. Friday is my retirement from LE, 35 years of service. Like a lot of Deputies/Police Officers I would retire into poverty except that I start a job with a Trucking Company Monday, the 7th of May. The pay and benefits are much better. I'll supervise and dispatch and kinda be their in-house security. South Texas is still a rough place.
Retiring to work in the trucking industry seems to be a very common for LEOs in Texas. I heard from an old Trooper friend of mine whose doing nearly the exact same thing I am.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2012, 09:32:02 PM »
Congratulations on 35 yaers!  Be safe in your new job. 

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • SASS #: 87747
  • GAF #: 502
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2012, 06:37:36 AM »
Congrats Shotgun
Been out now almost 5 yers. It was a gret life but boy am I enjoying things now . Living the dream!
Many Happy Trails ahead for you.
dutchy
"I'm too old to go soldiering any more , too stiff in the joints to ride point and too dam fat to wrestle drunks Any day they don't pat you on the face with a shovel is a good one"

BOLD 887 
Bvt.Major  Chaplain  GAF  502 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 01:00:43 PM »

Offline Archie Cal

• Somewhere in New Mexico Territory.......
  • Citizen
  • Have you met Howard?
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2012, 06:55:43 PM »
Howdy.

I've been with the New Mexico State Police for 19 years.

5 Years as a Patrolman/Trooper.
10 Years in Detectives/Criminal Investigations (as a Detective, Sergeant and Lieutenant), specializing in violent crime.
4 Years as a Captain/District Commander. Presently stationed in Las Cruces, NM.

All that includes 8 years Search and Recovery (DIVE) team, 4 years Tactical Team (SWAT), 5 years Crime Scene Team, a Medal of Valor and the FBI National Academy in Quantico in 2009.

670 days to retirement......

Glad to be on board.

Rich
If'n you've find my body, please send my boots to my sister in Erie, Pennsylvania. They was a gift from my poor sweet ma.

Archie Cal

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4669
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2012, 07:43:50 PM »
Welcome Capt Archie!
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Offline Archie Cal

• Somewhere in New Mexico Territory.......
  • Citizen
  • Have you met Howard?
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2012, 09:59:23 PM »
Thanks Deacon.

If'n you've find my body, please send my boots to my sister in Erie, Pennsylvania. They was a gift from my poor sweet ma.

Archie Cal

Offline J.B. Justice

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2013, 07:55:26 PM »
1995-1997 - Part Time Police Officer for a small town in Southern Minnesota
1999-2000 - Civilian Detention Deputy for a Twin Cities, MN Metro Sheriff's Office
2000-2013 - Sworn Deputy Sheriff for same agency working patrol
2013-Present - Sergeant for same agency and currently assigned to patrol

In addition to working patrol, I've also had collateral duties as a Negotiator, SWAT, and FTO.

Offline hp246

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2014, 07:35:25 AM »
Eighteen years in patrol, including nine as a patrol supervisor.  Thirteen years in SWAT.  Ten years in Detective Bureau including stints on Surveillance crew, undercover and working cold case homicides.  After retiring as a Detective Lieutenant, I worked in a smaller Department as an administrative Captain, and as a trainer for the State Police.  Now in private industry. :)

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2016, 10:07:31 AM »
I'm new to the forum and this is an old thread but maybe some new discussion can be revised.

I was a patrol deputy, then a detective. I got into training by becoming a part time firearms instructor, then the department's chief firearms instructor and range master and a member of the academy staff my last 6 years before retiring.
Dave

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2016, 08:52:20 PM »
I was given a broom and a dustpan, told to clean up main street, did so, and left!! ;D ;D ;D ;D :o ???
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4669
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2018, 08:17:28 PM »
Finally retired after 26+ years in May of 2017. Very happy to NOT be dealing with sex offenders for a living. Took a part-time job in a local gun store and after about 3 weeks my boss looked at me and said "Do you know every cop in Southern Illinois?"
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Offline Marshal Hangtree

• Citizen
  • SASS #: 105256
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2019, 06:41:27 AM »
Graduated the Police Academy in 1979.  Worked Patrol, Juvenile Division (hated it), then back to Patrol.  Transferred to the Sheriff's Office and worked 2 years in Patrol, then promoted to Investigator in our Drug Enforcement Unit (undercover) and was Shield Officer on SWAT team.  FBI certified firearms instructor.

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2020, 05:30:06 PM »
I started in Patrol in 1989, where I worked until 2000, when I was assigned to a street crimes unit. 

In 2002, I was seriously injured on the job and I was out for two years.  During that time, I studied hard for the detective's test and finished on the top of the list.  I had been a part-time firearms instructor for several years, so when I was ready for light-duty, they assigned me full time at the range.

At about the same time, some promotions came through and I was promoted to detective (a permanent civil service promotion on my department).  At the same time, I was approved to come back to full-duty status.

I was assigned to the auto theft unit for a couple of years and I've been assigned to the burglary unit for about 1 1/2 years.  I have 17 years on and I don't even think about retirement--it's too far away (another 10-15 years or so).

CC Griff

There's my post from 2007--nearly 13 years ago.  To bring things up to date, in 2008 I was assigned as a detective to the Robbery Unit.  I was the junior detective in the unit at the time, but gradually the guys above me retired and were replaced with detectives with less seniority than I had.  Eventually, I ended up as the senior detective in the Robbery Unit, working a lot of bank robberies, violent home-invasions, serial business robberies, etc.  In 2011, I started working with a detective who had been one of my student officers when we were in patrol and we've worked closely on these cases ever since.

I've finally gotten to the point when I can retire and I'm about to hang up my deerstalker cap and magnifying glass.  I'm going to miss a lot of the challenge and certainly miss working with my partner, but I'm mainly looking forward to the next chapter in my life.  The job has soaked into my DNA over the past 30 years, so I there are some parts of my core that won't change, but it will be good to have more time for the various projects that have been waiting in the wings, including spending more time getting to know the old west guns that I've acquired over the years...

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2020, 11:05:34 AM »
Done. I've officially joined the ranks of the retired. I'm excited for this next chapter of life, but I also have to say that law enforcement is in my DNA and I'll always be watching out for the people around me.

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2020, 11:19:35 AM »
Congrats CC Griff  :)   very happy for you
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2020, 01:22:14 PM »
Thank you, sir!

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline hp246

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2020, 04:02:32 PM »
Congratulations on your retirement Sir.  It does get in your blood.  I un-retired once and went back but alas, I realized the folly of my ways.  I'm now in my second stint doing investigations for the private sector after retiring from the private sector once too.  Sarge

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2020, 05:01:38 PM »
Thank you. It was a hard decision to leave but I'm not sure what could induce me to go back...

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline Marshal5

• Citizen
  • SASS #: 10064
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2022, 08:53:40 PM »
Part time Deputy Sheriff while attending college full time.
Special Agent, Wisconsin DOJ, Undercover Narcotics and Vice , 2 years  :D
Special Agent working Arson, Explosions and mass homicides with emphasis on injury and fatal fires 29 years
Retired 2010
Private Investigations for Insurance and law firms related to origin and cause of fires since 2010.

Offline Ketchums Clayton

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #59 on: June 11, 2022, 09:02:14 PM »
Oh, my....deputy sheriff in one state, state police (patrol through captain), municipal police (special projects - SRT, juvenile corrections, consolidated communication startup), university police academy management, then international police development assistance projects on 3 continents.
Black Jack Ketchum - just hanging around Clayton, NM

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com