Author Topic: Rapeseed Oil (Canola Oil) and seasoning cast iron  (Read 3970 times)

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Rapeseed Oil (Canola Oil) and seasoning cast iron
« on: January 18, 2007, 11:12:32 AM »
Those who have read my information and have talked to me in person know I only use Olive Oil and Lard for seasoning cast iron and maintaining the seasoning.  The reason is corn, soy bean, peanut, sunflower and other oils I've used are semi-drying and will make a gummy mess if left for a time.  My information on oils pre-dates rapeseed now know as Canola oil being marketed as a healthy alternative.  I don't use the stuff have never had a need to but recently my step-daughter found out her cholesteral was a bit high so she bought a bottle because she fries and egg once in a great while and thinks this will save here from all the stuff she eats that she gets from Greasy the Clown. ::)

Well I was out of both the other night and Rita had made potatoe soup in my big cast iron pot and I had fried some hash in butter in one of my skillets.  The pot needed touched up really bad so I put some of the rapeseen oil in it and heated up real hot and wiped it and wiped the skillet.  I then put the cloth rag I use for seasoning in my 6 inch skillet I use as a butter melter to see what happened.  Checked it last night after I bought lard and had done the supper dished.  The excess in the rag had now pooled in the skillet and looked like Jello that had not quite made it. ::)  The rag was stuch together and 10 minutes in hot soapy water and still stuck and tore when I tried to seperate it.  Tossed the rag, got a new one and seasoned as before.  Will have to boil hot water in the kettle to clean up the mess.  The skillet was ok because it got just a quck wipe and the well seasoned surface kept it from being a problem

I won't say not to use this for cooking, but when you get it cleaned after, I would go back to the Olive Oil wipe if the lard scares you.

Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
Re: Rapeseed Oil (Canola Oil) and seasoning cast iron
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 01:19:18 PM »
Thanks fer the report, Del.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 11:30:42 AM »
Yep!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:34:16 PM »

Offline Goatlips

• Top Active Citizen
    • Goatlips' BlackPowder Tips
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 11:49:16 PM »
Olive oil and Lard it is!

Goatlips
Wolverine Rangers/Lake County Pistoleros
Visit my Blackpowder site:
http://goatlipstips.cas-town.com/index.html

http://goatlips.hrillc.com/goatlipstips.cas-town.com/index.html

width=200 height=30]http://www.cascity.com/layoutimages/mycascityprofile.gif[/img][/url]

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 08:32:46 PM »
Just olive oil for mine............... ::) 8) ;)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com