Author Topic: Photos of Original Spencer Cartridge Crate from Chickering's Building Boston, MA  (Read 6284 times)

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Hello SSS,

I thought you might be interested in seeing the written description and photos of an original Spencer cartridge crate.  Permission to post both text and photos received from Eric Kane of http://www.cwmilitaria.com

Original and super rare ammunition crate for Spencer carbine cartridges. This heavy wooden crate measures 8 1/2"x10 1/2"x15" and has handles on each end. It is clearly stenciled "1008 Metallic Case Cartridges No. 56-100 for Spencer and Joslyn carbine" and "Manufactured by Armory Chickerings Building Tremont Street Boston", the location of the Spencer Repeating Arms Company. (Spencer cartridges are .52 cal. but the cases are .56) The crate would contain 24 individual packages of 42 rounds each in cardboard boxes. Spencer did not actually ever manufacture ammunition. The company of C.D. Leet was the sole producer of the metallic case ammunition at the time and it was supplied through Spencer to the government for no additional charge. The first 1000 Spencer carbines were delivered to the government in October 1863. In November 1863 Leet began to supply the government directly, so it is likely this crate dates from either October or November 1863. Although close to 6,000,000 cartridges were supplied by Spencer from September 1862 (the time of the first delivery of Spencer rifles) until November 1863, when Leet shipped directly, few original cardboard packages remain and this may be the only Spencer Armory crate in existence!

View #1

View #2

View #3

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline Cannonman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0

I think I have the dimensions down and a box design pretty close to the real deal for an early spencer wooden crate. One thing is bothering me though.. I would like opinions on it.

The box end stencil looks Civil War period and marring to the wood, scratches and wear are evident on the box and also the red paint of the stencil.
However......
The side stencil (the light blue/white) paint (Chickering's address) shows very little wear and looks to be a later add on as does the EX GOOD OCT 1865 on the other side. Scratches to wood are covered by the painted stencil lettering. If those had been put on at the manufacturer, the scratches would be in both lettering and background .. I am going do a box with just the end stencil for that reason.. Any thoughts on this?? My thought is that the EX GOOD may be an inventory stencil at the end of the war as ammo went into Govt Storage.
Also, what are thoughts on the original color of the box? 

Offline DJ

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Also, would the Spencer Armory make a stencil that misspelled its own location:  "BULDING"  vice "BUILDING"?  Whereas a team of post-war soldiers, ordered to do an inventory of leftover ammo, might have? 

Advertising

Offline Cannonman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Never noticed the miss spelling !! That is a good point. I agree, they would not have done that .. Also stenciling on side is not well placed and off balance. Also consider Mr. Spencers concern that his rifle and novel ammunition be presented in the best light and certainly clarity and crispness of label would have been a reflection on the quality of what was in the box to seme degree. Thanks for that valuable observation !!
I think the EX GOOD is short for Examined and found in Good condition with the date of inspection (Shooting from the hip there)
Also, why use 3 different colors of paint?.. Red would have sufficed if done at time of manufacture. The Chickering label is probably a much later stencil as Spencer rounds were being separated by C and T, Checkering .. etc.. for quality control (There were very minor differences in the dimensions as I remember) and the dimensions of the boxes may have been slightly different which would make stacking securely an issue possibly. It also allows someone counting boxes to identify it whether they were looking at the end of the box or the one side. Just Thinking.

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Cannonman1,

There are many shades of the Olive color used even within the Ord. Dept. The basic pigments used were Black, Yellow and White.
(Lamp Black, Yellow Ocar, and White lead oxide.)
At different times during the War each of these color pigments maybe more available than at other times, so the actual shade of Olive can vary greatly. (from a very dark green to a light sand color) Many contractors were not required, under the contract, to paint the crates.
The lettering maybe done in different colors, often to help identify ammo calibers.
White or yellow = Standard "ball" (.58 or .69 cal. ammo of the time period. (of course on a un-painted crate, this does show up very well)
Red often = Buck & Ball, buck shot or shot shell loads.
Blue suggested a caliber somewhat smaller than the standard "ball" ammo. Like .36 up to .56 cal.
All of this can be very confusing within the crates that have survived today. Due to the fact that large amounts of ammo were placed in storage after the War and many crates were re-used and remarked.
I hope this helps.
My best,
 Blair  
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk