Author Topic: What was your favorite TV ....  (Read 13805 times)

Offline slap happy

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: What was your favorite TV ....
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2008, 07:36:38 AM »
i liked rawhide and wagon train also big valley

Offline piebiter

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2008, 10:13:29 AM »
Wild Bill Hickok with Guy Madison and Andy Devine. It was a long time before I learned that the show wasn't factual. I really believed it was all true. :o My folks really liked Death Valley Days with the Old Ranger and we never missed it or Zane Grey Theater.

Offline Top Kick Ken

• Top Active Citizen
  • Oscar S. Johnson, GAR, My Great Grandfather.
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2008, 04:23:59 AM »
I guess my favorite was Gunsmoke for the memories I have that are connected to it.  It was my Grandma's favorite show; when we visited, she and I would sit and watch it together.  (Of couse I had to help out Marshal Dillon)

The others I liked in no particular order were:

The Rifleman - Loved that rifle and Chuck Conners was cool
Wanted Dead or Alive - Steve McQueen and another cool rifle
The Wild Wild West - James West and Artemis Gordon and very quirky villians
Bonanza - Great cast
The Big Valley - another great cast
Iron Horse - I was REALLY into Steam Trains!  And with a Railroad named "The Buffalo Pass, Scalplock & Defiance Railroad" and Dale Robertson as Ben Calhoun...it couldn't be wrong in my book!
Have Gun, Will Travel
Alias Smith and Jones  (It humored me more than anything else.)
The Virginian
Barbary Coast - I liked Doug McClure
High Chaparral
Respectfully Submitted,

Top Kick Ken
Sergeant Major, Department of the Pacific
Grand Army of the Frontier

GAF #71
BOLD #943
SASS #47880L

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 11:43:07 AM »

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2008, 01:43:29 PM »
Have ta go with Have Gun as my all time favorite.  Paladin was different than characters on other shows.
     Every episode began with a scene from the show where he had his special gun drawn and would give a little speech to whatever unlucky fella happened ta  be standin on the wrong end of it.  If I remember right, trigger pull was one ounce, mebbe two of pressure.  I remember one episode where he was trying to help an Indian couple keep their ranch.  It looked like he was doing the wrong thing by them until the very end when everything came together and he was the only one that knew no livestock could survive on the property due ta bad water.  No one else found out until after the bully had a worthless piece of land and the Indian folks had big chunk of money.  I thought he was the smartest man alive!

Leo
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Deadeye Dick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Deadeye & His Belle
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2008, 02:03:09 PM »
Some of my favorites were:
Gunsmoke
Cisco Kid
Wild Bill Hickock
Roy Rogers
Have Gun Will Travel
Bonanza
The Lone Ranger

Cisco Kid was the first program I saw on TV. Dad had one delivered to our home, must of been around 1952 or 53.  The TV installer hooked the TV up and after fooling around with it to get a mediocre picture we were able to watch Cisco Kid. Before that we had to make do with radio. Listened to the B bar B Riders and the Red Ryder among others.
Those were the days.
NRA LIFE, NCOWS #3270, BLACK POWDER WARTHOG, STORM #254,
  DIRTY RATS #411, HENRY #139, PM KEIZER LODGE #219  AF&AM

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2008, 02:11:15 PM »
Before we had a Color TV(pre-65), I didn't know that "The Cisco Kid" had been filmed in Color. I had seen all the episodes on our old B/W TV in the 50s, so it was a new experience to see them all again, but in color. The same way with a lot of the Lone Ranger episodes.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2008, 02:20:06 PM »
The Western channel has "The Rifleman", "Maverick", "Bat Masterson", and "The Big Valley" every day.  After Jan. 1, 2009, "Cheyenne" will be added to the daily programing.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Online Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 84934
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 693
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2009, 10:52:28 PM »
Me and my son watch Riflman nearly everyday. I also love Gunsmoke, Wanted Dead or alive and I will watch just about any western. Encore Western is my savior as far as seeing a lot of the older western movies. I dont know what I would do without it.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2009, 12:33:52 AM »
The first one I remember was Wild Bill Hickok. Then Hoppy and The Cisco Kid. It's amazing for me to read today that Pancho (Leo Carillo) was 70 years old when those episodes were filmed. For some reason, we never got The Lone Ranger. In those days, we only had one or two TV stations so I guess we missed a few things. Later, my favorite was probably Have Gun Will Travel. After that, Wild Wild West and Guns of Will Sonnett. Didn't watch Gunsmoke all that much because, some may remember, that shows like Gunsmoke and Dragnet fell victim to a congressional concern about TV violence and a lot of the gunplay disappeared to be replaced with shows with " a message". Remember all of Joe Friday's lectures? I liked it better when he and Frank just shot the bad guys instead of talking them to death. A few other comments from the days of the TV westerns. I never did know why Gene Autry didn't send both Pat Buttram or Smiley Burnett packing. I know you had to have a sidekick but you'd think he would have realized that if he wasn't careful, one of those idiots was going to get him killed one day. I also wondered what the Cartrights were going to do if they ever got into a prolonged gunfight. Not any of them, Ben , Hoss, Adam, or Little Joe had any loops in their gunbelts for extra cartridges.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2009, 10:43:05 AM »
We got our first TV in 1953. We only got 2 TV stations at the time, both of which were in Amarillio, which was 50 miles away. We got  CBS and NBC. We got an ABC station about 60 or 61. We watched Gunsmoke, Have Gun Will Travel, Rawhide, and Bat Masterson on CBS.  We watched Bonanza and Tales of Wells Fargo on NBC.  We watched all the ABC westerns after we got the ABC station. I was a senior in HS when we got a Color set.

Offline Drayton Calhoun

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2010, 11:01:14 PM »
Cheyenne, The Dakotas, The Rifleman, Gunsmoke, The Virginian, Rawhide, Bonanza.
I remember one episode of Bonanza where Little Joe fanned off five shots with an Army Colt playing around with it. Hoss took exception because it spooked his horse.
The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

Offline Koyote

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2010, 06:44:36 PM »
I think it's a toss-up between Maverick and Have Gun Will Travel. Wanted Dead or Alive and Nickels were close behind.

What he said.
 I was just thinking of those 2 as I was reading here.

Maverick was COOL!!!
Koyote ~!~

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 98
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2010, 07:47:09 PM »
THere are some great ones mentioned here.  I really liked High Chapparal as well, mainly because my dad looked like a cross between Cameron Mitchell and William Shatner.  After dad passed it is really hard to watch Shatner, as the older he gets the more pronounced the similarities.   I think Cameron Mitchell was highly underated.  As to today, I really enojoyed the MAgnificent Seven TV Show, and I was a riveted follower of Deadwood, not the westerns of the 50-70s, but man it was well written (after you got used to the foul language).  Only show to bring me to tears EVER.  When Al puts the preacher out of his misery, (lost my mom to a brain tumor and similar symptoms), I really wept.  It was an amazing scene. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com