Author Topic: Who should I associate with?  (Read 4541 times)

Offline Mal Hombre McKinney

• Citizen
  • "From my cold dead hand"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Who should I associate with?
« on: December 26, 2006, 11:58:28 PM »
Folks I like to research things. ;) So now that I've found a NEW "hobby" ;D I'm trying to figgure out wether to sign on with SASS, NCOWS, or W3G. :-\ I've noticed some good and bad about all of them. ;) The closest CAS to me is 3hrs away. I go north for SASS, SW for NCOWS, and South for W3G. Talk about being stuck out in the middle of noware :P So I need some advice, to help with this I have a SA traditional and a Savage/Stevens SxS shotgun at this time. I know, I know, I need more, but that's all Momma will let me have right now :-[ But I have some money already set aside that she don't know about, and there's a gun show coming to town in Feb. The question still remains do I join 1, 2, or all of the above. I will appreciate all the advice I can get. I Really don't want to start a war or anything. Just tell me what you find good about where your at.
Thanks all
Mal
If you don't like what you're doing, you're doing something wrong.
SASS #74370 NCOWS #2869

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
Re: Who should I associate with?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 12:18:19 AM »
Since you're new to C&WAS - periodically review the various forums that interest you, and make a decision after some contemplation.

Many in the sport are simultaneously NCOWS/W3G/SASS membership holders and shoot appropriately at whatever shoot they attend.

Good Luck.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 12:32:36 AM »
Howdy Big Mack,

I'll jump in and give ya an answer.  All are good organizations.  I joined NCOWS because they have a class called Working Cowboy which is shot with 1 revolver and one "pistol caliber" rifle.  In my case a 45 LC SAA & a Win. 73 in 45LC [both clones of course].  While a less expensive way to start many long time shooters have chosen to shoot in this class.  NCOWS also has 4 gun classes available and a large number who shoot in them.  NCOWS does not allow modifications to firearms such a short stroke kits, aluminum carriers "lightning rod"tm bolts and such and no "buscadero" holsters or shot shell slides.  NCOWS does allow double action revolvers that are pre-1899.  The clothing requiers is minimal and most SASS shooters that I have seen at least meet it.  All the CAS folks that I have met are first class folks who go out of their way to help someone who is getting started.  I resisted some long time friends for years until I could shoot with only two guns.  Glad that I took the plunge 2 year ago.  I am having a great time and I am sure that you will too, which ever route you take.  This is a great place to get all sorts of info on the various aspedts of CAS.  Welcome to CAS City!! ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:36:02 AM »

Offline Big John Denny

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 12:32:54 AM »
To tell you the truth pard, for a guy just starting in CAS and with the equipment you have, it might be easier to start in SASS. The clothing requirements are easier if you just do the minimum, the historical aspects are not as strigent as NCOWS, and the speed and agility is not as important as in W3G.

For one just wanting to get going in the CAS game, I recommend going with SASS first. I have nothing against NCOWS or W3G, both of which you may later decide to join as well. What we're talking about here is you getting your feet wet in a new sport and you are unsure how to go about doing so.

If in doubt, go to a local match for all three different disciplins, SASS, NCOWS and W3G, and see which appeals to you based on your own judgement and ability. Visit the web sites for each and read what they're all about as well.

That's the best advice I can give not knowing what you're looking to get out of the sport.
Big John Denny, SASS 64775
US Army Retired
Los Vaqueros
BOLD #661
GOFWG #240
SBSS #1780 (Order of the Golden Bullet)
NMLRA
NRA
"Aim small....Miss small"

Offline Al B. Bach

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 01:36:29 AM »
My thoughts don't mean much because I'm just starting out as well but after about 2 months of research I decided on SASS. Mostly for the same reasons Big John pointed out. All you need is a couple guns (you can borrow what you don't have), an old pair of blue jeans (with the belt loops cut off), a long sleeve western shirt, and cowboy hat and boots. I currently only have one revolver but I have a friend that is a member of SASS as well that has all the other guns. I am going to borrow his 'till I can afford my own. I hope to attend my first event in a couple months. I'm looking forward to it and I think which ever organization you join you will be happy because CAS shooters are some of the friendlyest people I've met.

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 08:45:08 AM »
How about if you travel to each of the types of matches that are close to you and observe, talk to the people and see where you feel most comfortable and feel as though you fit the best, or fits you the best.  You'll meet a bunch of great people and probably get to try out a few different guns, get some face to face advice on leather and on top of it all you will have a great time.   ;D
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Stump Water

• I ain't gonna worry about it.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2006, 08:26:55 AM »
And... ya don't hafta sign on with nary one of them outfits in order to attend a monthly shoot.  So wade on in and get yer feets wet.    8)

And welcome to town.  :)

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 106
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2006, 10:22:39 AM »
Very good point, Stump.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2006, 11:15:45 AM »
Pardner, check us out were not to far from you, The Nebraska Territorial Rangers are a former NCOWS club, we believe in authenticity in dress, firearms and fast shooting, and we welcome new shooters to our matches....

http://ntrangers.com/

We've got several shooters that come down from the South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa border and you will always find someone will to help ya at one of our shoots... and you can shoot Working Cowboy also...  One question on the shotgun, which will determine it's legality, is it solid rib or a vent rib....

And one more tip, you could make a long weekend, drive down to the Fort Western Outfitters in Lincoln, they've got the best prices in the Country on CAS duds, and head back northeast to the NTR range, we shoot the fourth Sunday of the month, April through October...
Fast horses for sale, Discount for newly minted gold coins, no questions asked....

Offline Texas Trail Boss

• A Southern Gentleman
  • Top Active Citizen
  • PWDFR Posse Leader
    • PWDFR POSSE
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2006, 04:49:29 PM »
Yes, EXCELLENT point, Stump!  ;)

Is there a 4th choice?  :D
SASS #56805, PWDFR POSSE, WARTHOG,
GOFWG, SBSS, SUDDS, ROB.
A Singer of Cowboy Songs

Offline Coop Trawlaine

• Come sit by the fire and I'll tell ya a story.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Author-Member Western Writers of America
    • Walt Lange Word Slinger
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2006, 10:28:46 PM »
Stump's point is real good.   I am in SASS because my friend that brought me into the sport was SASS, but I have shot W3G as well and both are fun.  You know similar but different.  Try them all out.   I can't comment on NCOWS because we do not have them close enough for me to attend.

No matter what you chose, I can assure you a good time and great people to be among.
Coop Trawlaine SASS #63617, SCORRS, WartHog, SUDDS #188, IPSAC #47
Aka: Walt Lange
"Trawlaine" ISBN 1-4137-7738-4
"Trawlaine's Land" ISBN -09479379-0-8
Western Writers of America
Society of Southwestern Authors
www.waltlange.com

Offline royal barnes

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2006, 08:51:34 PM »
I am a SASS Life Member and also a member of NCOWS. I started in the mid-nineties in SASS and had never shot an NCOWS match until I shot the Nationals in McKee,Kentucky this year. There are no NCOWS possees(sp)anywhere near my area and I can shoot with SASS clubs every weekend if I don't mind driving 3 hours. Most are much closer. The main thing with NCOWS is authenticity in clothing and firearms but you can do the same thing in SASS and still rub elbows with the B-Western and minimally dressed folks. You know, the people you like to be around. I shoot OK but my best moments have been being chosen as "Best Dressed Working Cowboy" or "Best Dressed Stage Driver" at large matches. Join one or all. They each have something different to offer.  :)
SASS #5792 Life Regulator
BOLD#326
LASSOOS #33s
Purveyor of the Dark Arts
Jedi Gunfighter
WARTHOG

Offline Big Dipstick

• Dipstick
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2007, 06:56:32 AM »
Stumpy and Cammile have pretty well summed it up ;)

Enjoy and welcome

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2007, 01:12:33 PM »
Howdy Big Mac!

I'm goin' along with the rest.  Like RB, I started is SASS and I'm a Life Member.  I found out about NCOWS later and have since concentrated my efforts there, 'cause I like the authenticity.  W3G just might be a bit intense for the beginner, but I don't know - I've never been.  I believe their main emphasis is on speed, movement and technique ... you know; competition.

As suggested, ya don't have to be a member to shoot a SASS match OR NCOWS.  (Again, not sure about W3G.) You only HAVE to be a member to shoot in a regional or higher match.  SOME individual clubs require membership, but not usually the first time you show up. 

Don't worry about your lack of equipment.  In my experience, CAS shooters LOVE  to loan/show off their guns, so if ya go to a match, buy some extra ammo and someone'll loan ya a shooter to use.  Hell, most all of us have extra ammo as well, so ammo is often a non-issue.

As Wymore says, NTR is a nice club to attend, with lots of pards who shoot there ... I don't know where ya live, tho.  He must have checked your Bio. 

Clothes?  Well, at ANY match I've been to beginners aren't judged.  Get on yer oldest comfy jeans, work shirt, (flannel shirts haven't changed much in 125 years) Cowboy boots, (IF ya have 'em) and a suitable hat - hopefully NOT a baseball type - but remember, not everyone  wore a Cowboy Stetson!  Look at this site (I'd give you the addy of the Fort in Lincoln, but their website doesn't show old West stuff, but their ph.# is: 1-877-907-3678, ext.199 - ask for Terry or Glen an' tell'em I "sent"ya) and you can get a good idea of styles and prices:     http://www.riverjunction.com/

Any-hoo,  Welcome! and have tons-O'fun !!!

Jeff  "Steel Horse Bailey"

PS - are you acquainted with Black Powder?  He-he-heh!  Yer in for a treat!

Again, this pretty much echoed what the rest have said, I jes' tried to put it all together.

Welcome
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Mal Hombre McKinney

• Citizen
  • "From my cold dead hand"
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2007, 10:33:29 PM »
One question on the shotgun, which will determine it's legality, is it solid rib or a vent rib...

It's solid. Looks a lot like the Stoegers(don't think I spelled that right)
If you don't like what you're doing, you're doing something wrong.
SASS #74370 NCOWS #2869

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2007, 04:45:58 AM »
A 4th one?  Yup!!
There usta be a WASA outfit. 
But are they still around?
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Texas Trail Boss

• A Southern Gentleman
  • Top Active Citizen
  • PWDFR Posse Leader
    • PWDFR POSSE
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2007, 08:34:52 AM »
Cain't say as I ever did hear of WASA, Mustang.
SASS #56805, PWDFR POSSE, WARTHOG,
GOFWG, SBSS, SUDDS, ROB.
A Singer of Cowboy Songs

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2007, 10:16:06 PM »
They are Western Action Shootists Assn, I recollect.  Seems they let ya shoot old model bolt rifles, I've been told. 
Never went to one of their matches.  But there was a website.  Reckon I'll do a search now.

EDIT-----
Done a search---WASA site is blocked (work computer).  But the Wikipedia site tells some about them.

MG
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com