Author Topic: Range backstop question-----How high above firing line's grade?  (Read 3688 times)

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Range backstop question-----How high above firing line's grade?
« on: January 03, 2007, 06:38:08 AM »
We're tryin' to get a consencious of how high (or low) your various CAS dirt backstops are built? 
I'm talkin' a non-baffled range that is dedicated to CAS/SASS/NCOWS main match usage only.

I reckon we'd like to find a safe minimum height.  We are gonna dig into a 4% grade clay hill with the firing line 25 yds to the backstop.  And we will pile dirt removed from the "pits" as a height extension beyond the backstop. 

BTW:  There are no dwellings within 1.5 miles beyond the range.

Ya reckon 15' is too short?

MG
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Range backstop question-----How high above firing line's grade?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 02:41:57 PM »
Greg,

Our ole shut down range had an 18’ berm.  Don’t think we had to DQ more’n one or two over the six years we were there for throwin’ one over.

I don’t know how high the berms are where we relocated but they’re considerably taller than the ole range’s were.  But, it isn’t a dedicated CAS range.  We just bring in all the money.

Watch out how it’s done.  The guy that did the new range went in with a bulldozer ‘n pushed the berms up from ground level.  What we have is a big, empty swimmin’ pool to shoot in.  It’s on low ground anyway ‘n it doesn’t drain worth a crap.  Beats not shootin’ on first Saturdays but I wish we had the old range back.

This shoot will mark one year that we’ve been there ‘n we’ve only been able to set up down range once.  Rest of the time we’ve had to shoot from under the overhead on concrete.  That just ain’t Cowboy……………

EDIT:  Lemme add.  At the ole range we shot 25 yards from the berm.  New one from concrete, 50 meters.  25 meters the time we went downrange to set up.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Big John Denny

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 09:02:49 PM »
The cuurent backstops at our Mule Camp range is close to 20 feet.
Big John Denny, SASS 64775
US Army Retired
Los Vaqueros
BOLD #661
GOFWG #240
SBSS #1780 (Order of the Golden Bullet)
NMLRA
NRA
"Aim small....Miss small"

Advertising

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 10:10:44 PM »
I done a survey on the proposed range site.  The birm will be 12' above the firin' line (shootin' dead nuts level).  And the hill behind the back stop rises another 30' over under 100 yds.  And it is completely covered with cedars.  An' I MEAN COVERED!!!  Solid!!!

MG
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com