Author Topic: Winning the minds of the people  (Read 3675 times)

Offline Misdemeanor

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Winning the minds of the people
« on: October 15, 2004, 06:44:40 PM »
Seems to me that a large percentage of the public couldn't tell a long gun from a golf stick more than 1 out of 5 times.  People form their positions on this issue from biased news, special interest groups, and the like.  If they do not have other sources of information, communication, or experience, can we really blame them.  I figure that we, as shooting enthusiasts, should take time to educate the public, or at least give them something to consider, i.e., maybe shooters are not bad people after all.  The Marines and other groups promote themselves by providing food, Christmas presents, and other gifts to a variety of people, mostly during holiday seasons.  Maybe there is something for us to take advantage of here.  Could CAS groups or clubs improve how the public perceives firearms and shooters if we were to follow the examples set by other organizations?

Just a thought.

Offline Micheal Fortune

• Top Active Citizen
    • Micheal Fortune
  • Liked:
Re: Winning the minds of the people
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2004, 04:18:09 AM »
Well I educate people slowly, one at a time.  I heard what you said there, will have to do some head scratching on it.
Saloon Keeper, Gambler, Shootist
Sun River Rangers Shooting Society / SASS 60159 / R.O.-1 / SBSS 1685 / G.O.F.W.G. 89 / RATS 58 / KGC 4 /

Offline Misdemeanor

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2004, 10:43:52 AM »
I've noticed over a long period of time that people who have something, usually won't fight as hard to keep it as those who would take it away.  For me, most of the people I have been able to interest in CAS already had at least a curiosity about firearms and shooting.  Its the other people who have no interest, and who vote, that I think we need to influence.  At least if they have exposure to shooters in a positive manner, it could possibly have an impact when its time to vote.  With all the success of the anti-gunners over the past few years, and with the tenacity with which they are going after us, whatever we can do to help ourselves out would not be a waste.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:55:41 AM »

Offline Hemlock Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2004, 09:24:16 PM »
When I'm goin' to a shoot, I generally go into a couple stores all "dressed up".  Usually someone will ask about the cowboy outfit and I tell them about CAS.  I've never had anyone reply in a negative manner.  Most think it sounds like fun.
I think the anti-gun folks are a minority in this country but the media gives them "power" and minority rule seems to be the the norm these days.
There's lotsa good info in this months American Rifleman.
Mike

Offline Misdemeanor

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2004, 12:11:24 PM »
It is fun when people come up to ask... why the Duds?  I have had the same responses as you have, always positive.  Maybe I'm just getting paranoid.  But to watch people like Peters in action is scary.  I don't think she could tell the truth or answer a direct question to save her own mother.

Offline Willie Wheelgun

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2004, 08:59:29 PM »
Misdemeanor, I thought you wuz makin reference to the anti-gun presidential candidate.  I read somewhere today that he bought a hunting license in Ohio yesterday.  Now why do ya suppose a fella would buy an out-of-state license like that?  Suppose he be tryin ta trick the hunters and gun owners?  Naw, nice fella like that wouldn't stoop that low, ya suppose?
WW
Land of the free BECAUSE of the brave!
God Bless America
Soos Creek, Washington Territory

Offline Misdemeanor

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2004, 12:03:07 AM »
I checked with a bunch of folks I know, and the word is that he thought he was buying an entry ticket to a critter identifcation class, so he wouldn't make the same mistake Clinton did at the pig farmers dinner a few years back.  After eating some chow, Clinton made a statement about how that was the best beef he'd ever eaten.  Guess Kerry doesn't want to make the same mistake. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com