Author Topic: Integration of Milspec rifles: report of Muster 2006  (Read 3666 times)

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Integration of Milspec rifles: report of Muster 2006
« on: December 21, 2006, 12:09:27 AM »
I bring this back for those who may have missed it. I can report this:

1: Fun - I had a hoot!  I've never had as much fun shooting in a combat setting as I did in this instance, using these weapons.  It was fun, safe and highly instructional. 

2: Integration - With one exception, the integration of these weapons into a CAS setting is both smooth and effortless.  The lone exception is the staging of the weapon under current standard CAS rules.  IE rifles are staged hammer down on an empty chamber.  This can be done on a bolt, but takes a knowledgeable loading table officer, or a bolt equipped with a magazine cut off.  Perhaps best to bring the rifle to the line empty and charge prior to stage start.  There are other options as well, but this will have to be addressed in the GAF rules. Remember this is to be exclusive to the GAF, and only with the approval of the range master.

3: Impact - NO target damage whatsoever.  Under proposed rules it is simply a non issue, both with single shots and repeaters.  We engaged some relatively close targets, some of rather soft steel, and had no damage, no splash back. Rounds were loaded to specs of lead bullets of no more than 1400 FPS, no more that 405 grains weight.

4: Speed - I shot two stages with both a Krag, and a Trapdoor.  With the Trapdoor I fired half the number of rifle shots as with the Krag, everything else the same.  On both stages the raw time differential was under 3 seconds.  And in fact the times were quite competitive with the other shooters and their standard CAS rifles.  Had I competed in my normal class, I would have finished 2nd.  Observation: the more rounds fired from the rifle, the more competitive the Milspec weapons become.  IE they reload faster than the standard CAS lever.  Though I envision this class as a compitition unto itself, it would seem in a GAF setting to be little handicap against other classes.

5: Spencers - In private timing, I found the Spencer to have virtualy the same cycle and load times as the Bolt style repeaters.   For those looking for a place to be competitive with a Spencer, this is it.  I would allow Spencers to use Blakeslee loaders here.

In conclusion, I would regard this as a complete success. I would point out here that while it would be ideal for the class to be split between Single Shots and Repeaters, should numbers not allow this I believe they can be integrated into a single class until the numbers become enough to do such a split.

Thanks to Kayleen and all involved for a great experience, and I look forward to doing it all again next year.

Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Integration of Milspec rifles: report of Muster 2006
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2006, 12:26:02 AM »
And it sounds like ya had fun, too!

Merry Christmas, pards!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Bow View Haymaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2006, 10:52:25 PM »
Are you going to have this class at Topeka in march?  What are some examples of the rifles you are using?  My M1917 Eddystone Enfield  .30-06 probably doesn't make the cut.  Would a Mark I Enfield work?  How about a swede?  Just looking for a reason for another gun.  Al;l lead bullets I presume?  Sounds like a lot of fun. 

Bow View Haymaker
Bow View Haymaker

GAF #522  Dept of the Platte
SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

www.HighPlainsShootersSupply.com

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:44:09 AM »

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2006, 11:55:39 PM »
  I believe the Enfields that will work are the Lee Metford and the first model of Lee Enfield, ie the long one. I believe your MK1 is the later SMLE.  You can find a complete list of acceptable rifles at the GAF web site. Generaly the cut off date is 1902, though it varies somewhat for certain designs.  Your 1917 is right out, though It may be possible to use it for a Wild Bunch side match.

We are still working out the details, though as I said, it is lead bullet only, no more than 1400 FPS, no more than 405 grains.  This has only been done at the National Muster, local matchs are completely up to the local director.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com