Author Topic: Favorite music, westerns  (Read 14147 times)

Offline Free Hand

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Favorite music, westerns
« on: December 04, 2006, 06:43:17 PM »
Okay folks it's a slow day here folks.  Since you haved stumbled across this would you be kind enough to log in on your favorite songs or scores from a non-musical western movie.

mine are; The scores from The Man with No Name trio, the Oscar winning score (and songs by The Brothers Four) in the Duke's The Alamo and the immortal High Noon main title theme. Anyone else?
"If you can't be part of the solution, at least don't be part of the problem"
"America is too great for small ideas"
"Trust in The Lord, but keep yer powder dry"
"America bless God"
 "There ain't no sucha thing as a free lunch!"

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
Re: Favorite music, westerns
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 09:10:05 PM »
Askin a body to pick their favorite "western" movie theme song is like askin which western movie they would like to have if it were jest them n a dvd re chargeable solar battery powered player on a desert island.
 The Magnificent Seven, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, Roy Rogers' Happy Trails, How the West Was Won, The Big Country, Butch Cassity and the Sundance Kid, The William Tell Overture (The Lone Ranger Theme) She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, jest too many for one ta pick frum!
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Offline Free Hand

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 10:47:33 PM »
The William Tell Overture sure brings back some memories. There also was a a radio show, called "Sergent Preston of the Yukon" that used a classical piece for it's theme; I sure wish I could find out the name of it.   
"America bless God"

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:01:12 AM »

Offline The Elderly Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 12:23:47 PM »
The Sgt. Preston theme music was taken from "Overture to Donna Diana" by Nikolaus von Reznicek. A lot of those old radio shows used classical music as their theme. Why? Because the composers had been dead a long time and didn't have to be paid.

Offline Free Hand

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 05:52:03 PM »
Many thanks pard, I'm going to be 65 this month and I have wondered aqbout that since I listened to it. When all is said and done, there are two advantages to those old radio programs: You had to use your imagination (I'll bet no two of us had the same mental image of Sergent Preston or the Straight Arrow), and the only money they needed for special effects went to a few dime store items. BTW did you ever wonder if Edger Bergen actually had ol' Charlie with him for his show?
"America bless God"

Offline The Elderly Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 01:34:21 PM »
I have a question about movie western music. Hymnals in the 19th century had hundreds of hymns in them, but in westerns, any time you're in a hymn-singing venue like a church service or a funeral (or, most memorably, a temperance march) they only know two hymns: "Gather at the River" and "Bringing in the Sheaves"? Likewise, those old player pianos had huge rolls and each piano came with dozens of rolls. They could go on for days without repeating a tune. Yet in movies, any time someone walks into a saloon, it's always playing either "Oh, Suzannah" or "Buffalo Gals." Of course, this goes for other eras. In any movie about the WWII era the background music is always either Glenn Miller or the Andrews Sisters. If it's about Vietnam the music is always the Doors or the Rolling Stones, and only two or three songs by them. Is this just lack of imagination or is it a shorthand way of establishing the era?

Offline Free Hand

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 11:11:57 PM »
Mr. Kid, I am of the opinion that is very likely the latter; they resort to the most familiar tunes of the era. IMHO The Sting was rather creative in their use of Scott Jopiln's rags It brought them back into popularity (for a while at least). I rember hearing Itzac (sp?) Pearlman playing the "Maple Leaf Rag" on public TV a few years ago. Also I understand his opera Treminisha was performed not too long ago.
"America bless God"

Offline The Elderly Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 12:07:11 PM »
Ironically, "The Sting" takes place in the 30s, while Joplin dated from the turn of the century. Because of that one movie, most Americans now think that Ragtime is Depression-era music.

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2006, 01:10:28 PM »
AAh, the wonderful "state of the art" of  the American educational system, the Arts and Physical education are not important in the overall development of the students. I just love the way bureaucrats think and act don't you? :'( :( :-[
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Offline Free Hand

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2006, 08:17:23 PM »
All too true; I've heard that in some history books Marylin Monroe Got more space than George Washinton did. and they've begun teaching that the Pilgrims celebrated Thanksgiving to thank the "Native Americans" rather than expressing their gratitude to God.
"America bless God"

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2006, 09:47:41 PM »
I, for one am not surprised by that, saddened, but not surprised.

as for thanking the "Native Americans" I don't doubt that the pilgrims did that, as well as thanking "I Am who AM."
 They would have been foolish not to as the Indians outnumbered them at the time.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

Offline Dirty30

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2007, 11:24:01 PM »
 'The Good, the Bad and the Ugly', 'Major Dundee', 'Blazing Saddles'!
Pull, Lemule!

Offline Judge Roy Bean

• Judge Roy Bean (U.K)
  • Top Active Citizen
    • www.laredo.org.uk
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2007, 02:03:59 PM »
Over here in the u.k.,The western group/show team play cd's by DAVE BOURNE & DWANE BOND.
These two talented piano players are very good,we play these as we have no one who can actually play a piano in our club.
(www.laredo.org. uk)
Texas & Miss Lilly.
  shoot"em"first hang "em" later.

Offline harycalahand

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2007, 11:12:58 AM »
I think most people my age has to start with  The Lone Ranger If you where in the kitchen when the show started you knew what was comming on. I'm a bit supprised noone has written about Happy Trails (Roy) Tumbling Tumbleweeds (Gene) as far as movies, Iguess I would have to say the Good the Bad and the Ugly, theirs just something about it that grabs me.

Offline The Elderly Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2007, 02:24:33 PM »
At this week's Acadamy Awards ceremony, Ennio Morricone is to receive a special Oscar for lifetime achievement. His themes for Sergio Leone's spaghetti westerns are some of the most familiar music of the 20th century. It's about time he was honored.

Offline w.b. masterson

• William Barclay Masterson
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2007, 09:28:48 PM »
Hate to disagree with the concensus here, but the two best cowboy western songs are Frankie Lane's themes for "Gunfight at the OK Corral" and "Man without a Star."  Tombstone's theme and Silverado's not bad either.

BAT
"There are those who argue that everything breaks even in this old dump of a world of ours. I suppose these ginks who argue that way hold that because the rich man gets ice in the summer and the poor man gets it in the winter things are breaking even for both. Maybe so, but I'll swear I can't see it

Offline john bange

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2015, 10:07:48 AM »
just to add to some fine lists already mentioned
Monty Walsh (Lee Marvin)...Cass Elliot's " The Good Times Are Comin' "
Uberti 1873 30"rifle 44/40

Offline longinosoap

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2015, 06:48:31 AM »
C'mon, it's gotta be all the songs in Paint Your Wagon! ;D

Jes' kiddin! ;)

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2015, 08:42:33 AM »
actually, from "Paint Your Wagon"  I like lee Marvin's "I was Born Under a Wander'n' Star" 
and Harve Presnell's "They Call the Wind Maria"  Pernell Roberts did very good version of it too

Then there is "Ghost Riders in the Sky " by just about any artist, but in particular Son's of the Pioneers and Johnny Cash

And speaking of Cash, I like The Highwayman , with  Johnny Cash,  Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, and Kris Kristofferson.

My pard Marty Robbins , ANYTHING he did ...   "El Paso" , "Big Iron" , his version of the "Ballad of the Alamo" and of course "Ghost Riders in the Sky " are my favorites.

when planets align...do the deal !

Online Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2015, 11:05:27 AM »
Major 2,
That is a +2 for me as well. "The Boys" also did concerts under the title of "The Highwayman" that is on music video, with all their best known songs.
Back in the early to mid 1980's they did an album called "White Mansions". It is not very well known, but I like the music from it a lot.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com