Author Topic: Dude  (Read 20480 times)

Offline Noz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Dude
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2006, 02:45:16 PM »
I'll go. I'll go.  Land of rum and good cigars.  And they don't call you "Dude".

Wasn't that a Beatles song?

Hey Dude, don't let me down????????

Offline Free Hand

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2006, 05:15:39 AM »
Trinity,

ETAmology is the study of word and phrase origns i.e. "The whole nine yards"; at one time machine gun belts in airplanes are (or were at one time) twenty-seven feet long. when the whole belt was shot during a straffing run They were given (all togeather now...) "the whole nine yards"

ENTAmology is The study of (only) insects i.e. life form having six legs, a three stage life cycle, etc.

BTW there is no "zoo" in zoology; it's ZO ology. ;)
"If you can't be part of the solution, at least don't be part of the problem"
"America is too great for small ideas"
"Trust in The Lord, but keep yer powder dry"
"America bless God"
 "There ain't no sucha thing as a free lunch!"

Offline Noz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2006, 01:08:07 PM »
NO, NO. NO. A full concrete truck holds nine yards. Do you want half a load or the whole nine yards?

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 03:23:35 AM »

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Here's to Miss AnnieLee!
    • Trinity aka Chicory Kid Rides
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2006, 11:33:30 AM »
Trinity,

ETAmology is the study of word and phrase origns i.e. "The whole nine yards"; at one time machine gun belts in airplanes are (or were at one time) twenty-seven feet long. when the whole belt was shot during a straffing run They were given (all togeather now...) "the whole nine yards"

ENTAmology is The study of (only) insects i.e. life form having six legs, a three stage life cycle, etc.

BTW there is no "zoo" in zoology; it's ZO ology. ;)

Thank you, but I was having fun with words also.  I also enjoy playing with words, but I like words that people use.  I have often seen where some folks incorrectly use words not normally in their vocabulary just to sound big.  Just because the thesaurus claims that they are similar it doesn't mean that the two words are exact matches for every sentence.  :-\  I used to work with an idiot who had a word-a-day calendar... and just had to use each day's new word.  She used the words correctly for the definition, but incorrectly for the context.  What's really sad is that I usually knew each "new" word that she read on her calendar.  What a nerd. :-[

Speaking of fun with words, I think the best person with words here is Forty Rod.  I think he is just sitting around waiting for someone to mention some words.  ;D ;D

BTW, it's etymology.  ;D
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Offline El Peludo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2006, 12:32:35 PM »
I like words, too, Trinity, but I am no great verbal whiz.  Now, my little brother is another story; he loves to write, and has published a few poems, but his great thrill is wordplay - puns are one favorite.  I send him anything I find that has good, or sometimes, not-so-good word bending.  And, I agree: Forty Rod is probably just waiting and working up some devious thing to do with a word or two.
El Peludo (The Hairy Man)
Las Vegas, Nevada Territory
Lifer in: Life, NRA, NAHC, SASS, SBSS,WARTHOG, DIRTY RATS
IBEW(Retired), Shooter since 1955.
             Roop County Cowboy (FF)
             Original Member: Grass Valley Rangers,
             Camp Beale Land and Cattle Company.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2006, 12:37:32 PM »
A farmer friend of mine had some strange insects bore out of the wall of his new house, none of us had ever seen anything like them, I took some in a jar to the Looney-versity of Nebrasa, went in the proper building wearin' bib overalls and when the lady guardin' the door asked me if she could help me I said, "Is this the eda...  etma..  etam....... er are you the bug folks?"  I thought she was gonna bust a gut. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2006, 02:15:13 PM »
I like words, too, Trinity, but I am no great verbal whiz.  Now, my little brother is another story; he loves to write, and has published a few poems, but his great thrill is wordplay - puns are one favorite.  I send him anything I find that has good, or sometimes, not-so-good word bending.  And, I agree: Forty Rod is probably just waiting and working up some devious thing to do with a word or two.

I have a lot of words stored away, but in speech and writing, I generally choose the easy words to use.  We had a customer that liked to use high falootin' words and it just made her sound dumb.  I'm sure she impressed some folks, but she didn't pull it over any of our eyes.
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2006, 05:27:25 PM »
I have a lot of words stored away, but in speech and writing, I generally choose the easy words to use.  We had a customer that liked to use high falootin' words and it just made her sound dumb.  I'm sure she impressed some folks, but she didn't pull it over any of our eyes.

that's how one of them Dinasources Theasous books works.....clever replaced the word wool
Mathew 5.9

Offline Free Hand

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2006, 10:09:40 PM »
El peludo,
Thanks for the heads up, however having read a number of threads I would have been disapointed if this haden't happened. I consider it  an honor and a privilege to be hijacked by the best "dudes" around here.

Trinity,
Didn't mean to be presumptious, pard. BTW it is unfortunate that I suffer from shamful addiction to a penchant for *sesqipedalion verbage. It's probably just a device to compensate for a little...er. ;D..Is there a twelve step program for this any where? I love the English language, from Shakespeare to awful puns. Is there another one that is so diverse in it's orgins that makes it so adaptable for synomyms, discriptions, or humor?

Delmonico,
Did you hear about the moron that tried to hijack a bus in Miami? Seems he wanted to go to Havana. :D

* Anyone care to take a stab at "triskadeciphobia"? :P
"America bless God"

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2006, 11:54:49 PM »

Bring it on, got my rippin' knife handy. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2006, 11:48:11 AM »
El peludo,
Thanks for the heads up, however having read a number of threads I would have been disapointed if this haden't happened. I consider it  an honor and a privilege to be hijacked by the best "dudes" around here.

Trinity,
Didn't mean to be presumptious, pard. BTW it is unfortunate that I suffer from shamful addiction to a penchant for *sesqipedalion verbage. It's probably just a device to compensate for a little...er. ;D..Is there a twelve step program for this any where? I love the English language, from Shakespeare to awful puns. Is there another one that is so diverse in it's orgins that makes it so adaptable for synomyms, discriptions, or humor?

Delmonico,
Did you hear about the moron that tried to hijack a bus in Miami? Seems he wanted to go to Havana. :D

Fear of the number thirteen.
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2006, 12:16:17 PM »
Dad was a college professor and mom a school teacher.  My sister taught for 38 years and I've been a public school teacher, college professor, military and industrail instructor...and for fun I managed a bookstore for a year.  In college I was mistaken for an Engish professor several times.  I've been surrounded by teachers of one sort or another my entire life.

It was always fun to watch some jerk who was educated beyond his intelligence trying out new words to impress people.  They generally were either ignored or laughed at.  (Teachers are a vicious bunch in hunting packs.)

I also learned that titles don't convey much about the person holding then except hose who flaunted them at every possible occassion.  Then the title conveyed that the person was a total, and ususally irredeemable, jackass. 

The years I spent in the military...Army and Marine Corps... further strengthened this impression, and my long-lasting and frequent contact with cops, managerial types in all sorts of businesses, churchmen (and women), and government flunkies across the years and miles have cemented it in my mind.

Words are like guns.  Properlu used and respected, theya re grat tools for eveything from government o enteratinment, bu abused they are ridiculous and ineffectual at best, dangerous and deadly beyond belief at worst.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Free Hand

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2006, 12:57:43 PM »
All too true. There is great power in words. "He that conquers his tounge is greater than he who conquers a city" (paraphrased). Just as cruel words spoken, and kind words left unspoken have started just about all the conflicts in history, so loving words spoken, and hasrh words left unsaid can heal almost any evil action.

BTW lest things get too filly-softy-cal;  ;D Ta da, Russ T chambers wins a shot of whatever he's drinkin, a good cheroot and a hearty pat on the back. Triskideciphobia (sp?)is indeed fear of the number thirteen 
"America bless God"

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2006, 01:16:41 PM »
Russ is a gamer.  He owns a dictionary!!!
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2006, 04:14:45 PM »
Hey, I gots one too, just don't always use it, but if ya get bored ya can learn a lot.  BTW I learnt ta use one in grade school and have a secret few know, but it can make me look smart and save me valuble time doin' research and it ain't to spell or define a word, is any of you's smart enough to figger it out.  If  ya can before 9pm Central ya can come over and have Cosie's Cheese Steaks with me, much better than anything the make in Philly. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2006, 05:39:32 PM »
Hey, I gots one too, just don't always use it, but if ya get bored ya can learn a lot.  BTW I learnt ta use one in grade school and have a secret few know, but it can make me look smart and save me valuble time doin' research and it ain't to spell or define a word, is any of yous smart enough to figger it out.  If  ya can before 9pm Central ya can come over and have Cosie's Cheese Steaks with me, much better than anything the make in Philly. ;D

uhhhhhh  cheese steak....................I'm hongry ;D
Mathew 5.9

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2006, 05:47:27 PM »
Made with deer loin. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2006, 07:32:15 PM »

that's how one of them Dinasources Theasous books works.....clever replaced the word wool

Naw.  The word wool is too po-lyte.  Ah was thankin' of somethin' ails, but couldn't say it cause Ah's afraid of Sleeeum.

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2006, 07:42:54 PM »

uhhhhhh  cheese steak....................I'm hongry ;D

Oh boy!  I am too!  You gonna make that only with cheese an' steak, raht?

BTW lest things get too filly-softy-cal;  ;D Ta da, Russ T chambers wins a shot of whatever he's drinkin, a good cheroot and a hearty pat on the back. Triskideciphobia (sp?)is indeed fear of the number thirteen 

An' hair Ah done thought you was skeert a Trisquits.  Ah was feelin' right sorry fer ya, what with Rachael Ray doin' tha advertisin' an' awl.

Trinity,

No need to worry.  I didn't take it poorly... that's why I used a smiley. ;D

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2006, 07:51:11 PM »
Onions also and I'm gonna put it on sour dough biscuits, hence Coise Cheesesteaks. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com