Author Topic: '66 Yellowboy .45LC - good load?  (Read 5564 times)

Offline MONGO-AZ

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
'66 Yellowboy .45LC - good load?
« on: November 22, 2006, 12:26:55 PM »
Tell me what y'all think of this load...

I recently purchased a 24" 1866 Uberti in .45LC. I've been reloading for years - my favorite target round that I've used in my 5.5" and 7.5" barrel Vaqueros is:

255gr RNFP bullet, Winchester case, CCI Large Pistol primers over 8.0gr of Unique

I've also used these with good success in other EMF SAA clones as well, as well as my Winchester '94 Trails End.

I used these same loads in my Yellowboy, and they shot great at point of aim out to 100yrds. It almost felt like shooting a .22!

The problem you ask? Well, it almost felt too light...but maybe that is because in the difference in feel from going from the modern '94 to the repro '66 with a much longer barrel.

What do y'all think? Am I just being paranoid about the feel, or should I try upping the load a little bit for the longer barrel length? I prefer using Unique.

Offline Tensleep

• Damned Ol' Ranger
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dealer in Bullets and Gun Butter
  • Liked:
Re: '66 Yellowboy .45LC - good load?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 01:09:53 PM »
Bit too hot for me.
Alliant says the max load for CAS is 7.5g (seven point five grains) under a 250g bullet (no data for a 255g.)

Personally, Unique is too dirty for me and is subject to blowback in a 45 cal rifle.
I don't like powder in my face.

I would much rather use 5.4g (five point four grains) of Titegroup.

Masonic Cowboy Shootist
America's 1st Grey Sash Cowboy, GSC 006
SASS 5756 Life, Regulator
Dooley Gang, Virginia Chapter
Just a poor dumb cowboy, tryin' to do my best.
"If I could roll back tha years, back when I was young and limber..."

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 06:38:47 PM »
I'm fussy 'bout loads within specs.  While the brass frame 1860s and 1866s don't NEED that (near) full power load, we mustn't forget that they ARE rated for SAAMI specs and will handle that load for many a moon - probably the rest of your life.  We CAS shooters tend to wimp down loads for various reasons - all of them decent reasons: less recoil on ageing bones, accuracy, less wear & tear on some pretty pricey guns and other valid reasons.  Don't take the fact that I'm a PROUD Warthog fool ya - It's what I  prefer, not necessarily what I think you should shoot!!!

As to your question, Mongo, I've put MANY loads downrange with that exact load.  Yes, Unique is dirtier than most other smokey-less powders, but hey!  It's the closest nitro powder to Black Powder - which is my powder of choice these days.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:26:51 AM »

Offline Dakota Widowmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS# 65062
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 12:07:15 AM »
A slower powder might be a better solution.

Or, just use plain old GOEX BP or another substitute. (not 777, or Black Mag)

My personal favorite load is right around 5.5gr of Trailboss and a 200gr bullet.

VERY manageable and easily/cheap to load.

I prefer Winchester primers, but, nothing wrong with CCI primers. They are a bit "harder" for some reason, so, I don't like to use them in double action revolvers.

A firm roll crimp on the 45lc is key to success.

Offline MONGO-AZ

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 07:09:47 AM »
Thanks y'all for your input. What got me going was the change in Lyman's/Speer's recent manuals on loads for Unique - 8.0 was a good standard 15 yrs ago when I started, but it looks like everyone is starting to cut down now....

I'd like to stick with Unique - like a lot of reloaders, I'm somewhat monagmous with my powder choices - but I think I may cut down to 7.5 on the load - besides, you never know when you may need to slap one in as a home defense round and need that little etra oomph.

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 01:51:16 PM »
Howdy

I don't own any rifles chambered for 45 Colt, but I own plenty of revolvers that are chambered for it. When I started reloading 45 Colt a few years ago, my manuals listed 8 grains as the MAX for Unique in a 45 Colt under a 250 grain bullet. Consequently, I throttled back a little bit from the max to 7.5 grains of Unique.

Having seen older manuals than mine, I believe the 8 grain max is less than earlier manuals listed for the same load. However, I stick with the information that is published in the manuals I own.

Personally, I would not put in any more than 8 grains of Unique into that load. Shooting it out of a '92 would be one thing, the '92 design is like a bank vault compared to a toggle link gun. Don't forget, the toggle link guns are heavy. Probably a good pound heavier than a '92. Shooting relatively hot loads out of them may be deceptive, recoil wise.

I do not know at what point you will start stretching the frame with a brass framed toggle link gun like a '66, but there is a point at which it will happen. Mike Venturino writes about a brass framed Henry that was stretched and ruined by just a few rounds of 'high powered' loads in his book Shooting Lever Guns of the Old West. Granted, he did not specify the load, but go too high in a brass framed toggle link gun and you are asking for trouble. Why push it? If you want to shoot hot 45 Colt loads, buy a '92.

Just This Cowboy's Humble Opinion.
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com