Author Topic: The Last Patrol  (Read 302306 times)

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: The Last Patrol
« Reply #860 on: January 07, 2010, 10:10:56 PM »
Ella wasn’t sure if she detected a look of concern or sadness in Cyrus’s eyes at her comment.

Cyrus took a breath “I wonder if he even knows how to ask forgiveness and be sincere and if he does there is a part of me hopes he doesn’t ask Ella….because if he does I will have to find it in my soul to forgive a man that I have been wishing out of my life since we were boys.”
"The Scarlet Angel, heaven and hell all rolled into one.... I’d hate to be the one on the hell side.” ~Patches McDuff

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." John Wayne

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."  Mark Twain

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #861 on: January 07, 2010, 10:48:04 PM »
"His flesh will be out of your life in a few days, at most. If you don't forgive him when he asks, you may never be free of his ghost," replied Ella.
Elegant Ella

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #862 on: January 07, 2010, 11:10:34 PM »
Cyrus raised an eyebrow "Now you sound like Teddy," he half laughed "but that certainly makes it eaiser for me to find forgivenss should he ask."

With that Cyrus went to find Dick.
"The Scarlet Angel, heaven and hell all rolled into one.... I’d hate to be the one on the hell side.” ~Patches McDuff

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."  Mark Twain

Advertising

« Reply #863 on: Today at 04:03:27 AM »

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #863 on: January 08, 2010, 06:13:17 AM »
…he awoke in the sweat lodge of his brother Grey Eagle.  The fire had gone cold.

“Now you will speak to my people.  Are you ready?”

Fritz stood and noticed his gun belt was missing.

“Your weapons…you will not need them.”  Grey Eagle opened the flap and Fritz passed through.  

He entered into a large council lodge.  Old, wise men and young impetuous warriors filled the tent.  The young ones began protest as he entered, but Grey Eagle silenced them.

“This is my brother, Ni Itzo.  He has come to speak for our people.”

A young warrior with hailstones painted on his chest stood and said, “What gives this white man the right to speak for us?”

Grey Eagle stepped between them.  “He has honor.  He shows it both in battle and in the lodge. “

Fritz stripped off his sack coat and handed it to his brother.  He walked into the council circle and said, “You fight well, and for good reasons.  But this fight you cannot win.”

With those words and uproar stirred in the tent.  Many men rose to their feet.

“Hear me!” Fritz cried.  “It is not because you are not brave or strong.  You fight for your homes, and for those you love.  This is good.”  The men took their seats again.

“The whites are coming like rainclouds across the prairie.  There are more than can be counted. “

“Then we kill them,” another warrior said.

“You cannot kill them all,” Fritz said.  “And the more you kill, the more will come.  They will call for your blood.  They will wipe your kind from the Earth, until all that remains is a memory.  You must make peace before it is too late.”

The news wasn’t good, but reasonable men accepted it at face value.

“Then it is you who will speak for the people,” an elder warrior stated.  “Let us keep the lands we now have.  Let us live our lives in peace.  We will not enter the white man’s lodge.  He will not enter ours.”

Heads nodded in agreement.

Grey Eagle touched his shoulder.   “It is you,” he said.  He placed his hand on Fritz’s arm…

…Fritz awoke with a start.  Cyrus was moving his arm.  “This is going to hurt…”  He popped the shoulder back into its socket.  The world went dark again…

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #864 on: January 08, 2010, 10:54:03 PM »
Scarlet slid off of Lucky next to Fritz’s tent and began to unsaddle him. “This is the last time for a few hours at least.” She said as the horse turned his head and looked at her.

“I’m glad to see you Mrs. King.” Billy said walking towards her.

Scarlet raised an eyebrow wondering what news he was bringing.

“I mean I’m glad you are not among the wounded.”

“It’s good to see you to Mr. Glass.” She replied.

It was his turn to raise an eyebrow; he could not remember if she called him Mr. Glass it had always been Billy.

“I am not a soldier so if you insist on Mrs. King I will call you Mr. Glass.” She said as if reading his thoughts.

Billy smiled and slightly blushed. “Is there anything you would like?”

Scarlet looked towards the fire they had the coffee pot on. A smile slowly parted her lips at a long ago memory. “Yes, I would like I hot bath in front of a roaring fire and a glass of wine.” The sentence brought on a more recent memory that included Fritz and her smile grew into more of a smirk.

Billy stood there looking at her not really knowing how to reply to the statement as he grew more red at the very thought. “I….I…don’t know where to find that. I can get you hot coffee.”

“That will work today, thank you.” She said picking up her gear and heading for the front of the tent.

Billy went to fetch a cup wondering if all women were as hard to figure out as she was. How on earth did she expect to get a hot bath out here anyhow?

Scarlet slipped quietly into the tent wondering if Fritz would be asleep or not. He sat on the edge of his cot with head in his hands looked to be asleep or very deep in thought. She would have left without waking him if he had been lying down but he didn’t look all that comfortable.

Billy had returned with two cups by the time she put her gear down so she stepped back out to accept them and quickly stepped back in thanking him for his consideration. She put the cups down and walked over to Fritz.

She could think of a few pleasant ways to wake him but after the last few days wondered if it might startle him.

“Fritz” she said softly. 

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #865 on: January 09, 2010, 04:09:10 PM »
“uhhhh…”

Fritz lifted his head.  His back ached.  He was lucky he hadn’t stabbed himself in the eye with his pencil when he fell asleep.  Fortunately, he hadn’t drooled all over his journal.

“You need some coffee,” Scarlet said, handing him the cup.  Fritz took a sip and read what he’d written.

Scarlet noticed his pain.  She slipped behind him on the cot, rubbing his back.  “How far did you get?”

“Far enough to realize that I’m not going to tow the company line,” he replied.

He began to write again.  “The command was halted in the Rosebud Valley, near abundant water and forage, in consideration of the horse’s condition.  The valley, though fertile, was surrounded on all sides by high ground, providing excellent cover and concealment to the enemy.  The order was given to unsaddle only after two hours on the march, again in consideration for the horses.  While the regulars boiled water for coffee, the Crow and Shoshone scouts reconnoitered the ridgeline to the north. 

I Company, as well as the remaining companies of the Second Cavalry, deployed pickets to the north.  The Indian scouts made contact with the enemy, who pursued them in force towards the encampment.  If not for the quick thinking and fast actions of the scouts, the command would have been decimated.  The scouts bought the command valuable time, which was used to re-saddle horses, which should never have been unsaddled in enemy territory to begin with.  The Infantry Companies deployed as skirmishers, supported on the right flank by companies of the Second Cavalry, ours included.  We advanced by fire and maneuver, taking and holding key terrain to the north.  While the Second kept the Sioux and Cheyenne warriors at bay, the Third Cavalry conducted a mounted charge, pushing the Indians further back along the ridgelines. 

Once the enemy broke contact to our front, the Third Cavalry was withdrawn from the lines and moved back to the Kobold House.  The enemy immediately reassumed their prior fighting positions, pouring fire to our front.  I Company expended the majority of its ammunition in keeping these attackers at bay, until it too was withdrawn from the lines, in support of the Third Cavalry.  The combined forces of the Second and Third Cavalry proceeded further into the Rosebud Valley, where they were ambushed by a small party armed with repeating rifles.  This party was neutralized, and the command continued on its mission, with the intent of striking the Indian village that was presumed to be in the vicinity.  Prior to locating said village, the General’s Adjutant met the command, and advised them to climb out of the valley and attack the rear of the enemy force.  The attack was successful; however, I was thrown from my horse during the charge and lost consciousness.  Commendations recommended to 1stSgt Scott Crisp, Trumpeter Sergeant David Powell and Sgt D. H. Johann for their bearing and demeanor in the face of a well-organized foe.  I am,

Very Respectfully,

Your Most Obedient Servant

Frederick H. King”

Scarlet read over his shoulder as she worked the knots out of his neck.  “People aren’t going to like that,” she said.

“I don’t care,” Fritz replied.  “It’s the truth.  Ummmm…that feels good.”

“Would you like me to continue?” Scarlet whispered in his ear, nibbling on the lobe.

Fritz turned to kiss her lips.  “Yes.” 

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #866 on: January 09, 2010, 10:46:28 PM »
She kissed him soft and sweet.

Fritz looked at her; she smiled and began to gently work on his shoulder, her touch softer on the one he had hurt. He wondered if it was his imagination or was there something more working her mind than of course the past few days?

“Is there something bothering you Darlin’?” he asked.

Scarlet half smiled “There’s plenty bothering me Fritz as I am sure there are things on your mind.”

“Would you like to talk about it?”

Truth was there was something working her mind but she figured this was not the time but more so not the place so she replied “No, is there something you want to talk about?”

He heard her words, yet couldn’t help feeling there was something she had pushed under the surface. He knew if there was and she didn’t want to discuss it she would bury it deep enough his chances of finding out were slim. He thought about it a moment.

“How is Bo?” He tried to reposition himself so he could see her better without twisting his back.

“He is lucky to be alive and looking as well as can be expected. I would be lying to you if I said I wasn’t worried about him, but I keep telling myself he’s pulled through worse.” She replied.

He took her hand “between you and Ella he couldn’t have better care.” He said.

“Thank you Sugar.” She said with a soft kiss.

Afraid the news might be he’d lost another mount Fritz was almost afraid to ask “Did you find Strider?”

“Yes. He pulled some muscles and needs to stay put for awhile. He has some burns where it looks like he got tangled in reins and I cut a hunk of wood out of him. It looks as if he went down nose first, the side of his face is looks bad. I’m concerned most about infection. If we don’t break camp for a few days he’ll have a chance at keeping up with the wounded men, if we were home I would tell you he needed to be stalled for a few weeks without moving much but that will not be an option so we will do what we have to do and hope for the best.”

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #867 on: January 10, 2010, 12:13:39 AM »
As Cyrus walked he searched his mind for some good times with Dick. The fact he could hear Dick calling him “mommy’s boy” or “daddy’s boy” irritated him. In fact come to think of it he couldn’t even remember writing more to his folks besides the army treats me well, I am still alive or thank you for the care package. His folks had written often over the years.

He stopped at the opening of the field hospital for some reason he could remember his mother’s pie. She had a way of making pies out of things he thought one could never make taste good. He smiled and shook his head at the thought of the way he and his brother would run around with excitement while they waited for one of them to be done and he almost laughed aloud at the thought of the two of them sitting in cellar of the house eating an entire one and getting sick from it. Perhaps if he tried hard enough he could remember a brother he was sorry to see disappear.

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #868 on: January 10, 2010, 08:01:22 AM »
"I imagine that Ella would prefer I stay put for a week or so to heal," Fritz replied.  He was relieved that he wouldn't lose yet another friend.  Fritz rested his hand atop Scarlet's, feeling the warmth flowing between them.There WAS something on her mind.  "Please...tell me what you're feeling."

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #869 on: January 10, 2010, 11:31:21 AM »
Scarlet sat quietly for a long time searching for the right words. Words that would mean little to others if overheard but Fritz might get the meaning of.

“My heart fears that this kind of a fight will come home Fritz. The army has been trying to flush the Indians out of Devil’s mountain for years for one reason or another. The few scouts that I know that could find them plain refuse the army or fear the mountain because of legends, but not all men fear ghosts and stories.

I have always been clear when asked that I will stand with my brothers if that fight comes. I hope I will never find a friend in my cross hairs. ” She whispered so softly Fritz’s had to strain to hear her.

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #870 on: January 10, 2010, 12:10:11 PM »
Cyrus ducked inside and went to Dick’s cot.

“How ya feeling Ricky?” Cyrus said taking a seat near him.

Dick looked at him somewhat confused. His little brother Cy was the only one ever called him Ricky. He couldn’t remember the last time he saw his little brother. What was he doing here? He was waiting for the man he hated to show his face.

“Ma was right in sayin’ the army was a dangerous place ta be, look what the Indians done to ya. I was thinkin’ how if we were home we’d be eatin’ onea ma’s pies. You remember the taste of her pies don’t ya Ricky?”

Dick’s eyebrows drew together. “Yeah I do. Why are you here? Are ma and pa here? She’s gonna be mad at me for the things I done.”

“I won’t tell her Ricky. I promise ya that.”

Dick rolled his head towards Cyrus. “What will ya tell them Cyrus Kane?” he said in that arrogant tone that Cyrus recognized in the man he called Dick.

Cyrus ignored the tone and kept talking.
“I’m gonna tell ‘em you fought with honor Ricky, they’ll be proud. Nana’s pies were even better than ma’s and she’s got one waitin’ for ya. Member don’t hide in the barn and eat to much or you’ll get sick. I’ve missed YOU Ricky.” Cyrus said standing up.

Dick was completely confused now. He had not expected this at all. It was hard to think and he couldn’t remember exactly why he had sent for Cyrus.

“I failed you as a good brother Cy, look at ya. Big brothers are supposed ta watch out for little brothers.” Dick said softly closing his eyes.

“Don’t keep Nana waitin’ and you save me a piece o pie.” Cyrus replied before walking out.

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #871 on: January 10, 2010, 12:16:08 PM »
"I've been having visions.  The last was very potent.  In it, I was brought by Grey Eagle to a council lodge.  The elders of the tribe told me I would speak for the people."

Scarlet took his hand hands.  "Perhaps your purpose has changed.  You understand both sides of the equation.  As a decorated Soldier, your voice could carry.  It would benefit the people."

Fritz nodded.  "Then perhaps it's time to get back to what we do best.  Once I and Strider have healed a bit, let's plan to head home."      

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #872 on: January 10, 2010, 01:11:09 PM »
Scarlet didn’t remember when she had slipped off to sleep. It had been  quiet and dreamless for the first time in weeks. Fritz appeared to be resting quietly too. She got up and kissed his cheek.

“Where are you off to Darlin’?” he said.

“I am off to go see Ella, Bo and Strider while I can still see without a lantern.” She said walking over and picking up her gear.

“That is safe here, and that way I know I will see you sooner rather than later.” He said with a smile.

“I know it is safe here, but there are a few things I need for Strider and I will not leave my guns and be caught with my pants down.”

Fritz grinned “stop right there. Just leave me with that and promise you’ll be back before the sun rises again, I won’t expect you before sunset.”

“I will do my best Sugar.” She said with a chuckle ducking out of the tent.

Scarlet was glad to see somebody had brought Dancer to keep Strider company, she left Lucky with the other two horses and went off to find Ella to find out how she was doing and ask about Bo’s condition.

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #873 on: January 10, 2010, 06:28:50 PM »
Ella was at the scout's camp cooking something that looked bland and boring in a kettle over the fire, while Samuel and Chris gathered up some real food.

"Hi, Scarlet," she called. "Want to help me feed some patients?"

When Scarlet answered, "Sure", Ella handed her a handful of cups and spoons, then took the kettle from the fire. Accompanied by Samuel and Chris, they headed for the nursing tent.

"Bo needs to be propped up, and can only have a little soft food at a time. If he eats too much, or too fast, or food that's too solid, the food won't stay down and vomiting risks damaging the stitches," instructed Ella.

At the tent, Chris and Samuel set their loads down on a table, and filled plates which they took to some of the patients. Ella set the kettle down, and scooped some of the gruel into a cup, which she handed to Scarlet. "That's what he gets this meal. He will get another dose in a couple hours." Ella scooped up another cup, and took it to another patient.
Elegant Ella

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #874 on: January 10, 2010, 09:49:08 PM »
Bo was happy to see Scarlet, he wasn’t so sure about the food.

“Ella made it special just for you.” Scarlet teasingly said putting it down next to him.

Bo looked strangely at her “What?”

“Ella slaved over a big ol’ pot so you men would have something you could eat and keep down.” She commented.

“Why is it you women sew us back together then try to poison us with something you call nourishment?” he teased back.

Scarlet winked at him as she took off her coat and rolled it up. She gently him and stuffed the coat under his shoulders and head.

He spoke between mouthfuls.

“Scarlet this seems to become old habit for us. One of us propping the other up and feeding them….by the way Ella cooks a lot better than this.” He said after swallowing.

“Well get used to it. I think it will be main fare for a bit.”

Bo rolled his eyes. “mmmm mmmm” he said sarcastically.

“I’ll tell her you said thank you.”

“I do thank her, and you. Did the others make it?”

“One of the other scouts was wounded and Dick is not going to make it.” She replied.

“I heard Cyrus in here earlier. Scarlet when we get home will bake a pie for me?”

Scarlet raised an eyebrow at the strange request. “Course Darlin’ any flavor you like.”

Bo finished his meal and Scarlet took her coat and put it back on. She leaned down and kissed his cheek. “I’ll be back later, you should get some more rest.”

Scarlet finished helping Ella feed the other men. “Bo looks very good considering.” She said as they were cleaning up.

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #875 on: January 10, 2010, 11:21:48 PM »
"Bo is going very well," replied Ella. "Doctor Martin is a very good surgeon, much better than I am."

"You're pretty good, yourself," replied Scarlet.

"But Doctor Martin was actually trained as a surgeon, instead of learning out of books.  Anyway, Bo isn't going to be able to ride a horse for some weeks yet, until those stitches in and over his stomach heal, but he can ride in a wagon back to the fort whenever Doctor Martin and General Crook decide to send the wounded back.  Major Martin might send Major Samuels back, to take care of them at the Fort. Major Samuels may have studied Napoleon, but seeing the aftermath of battle up close doesn't suit him. He does better caring for the wounded well back from the front."
Elegant Ella

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #876 on: January 11, 2010, 07:42:02 AM »
Fritz wandered the Goose Creek Camp.  The feel of the men had changed from that of trepidation to the feel of a summer camp.  The men amused themselves by hunting and fishing, which greatly increased the variety of the fare at the mess.  However, Fritz was agitated.  His report didn’t go over very well with General Crook.  Fritz refused to whitewash the incident, and told it like it was, leaving out no details.  The men had performed admirably under daunting circumstances, but the truth was the General had been caught with his pants down.  He had recovered quickly and saved the day, but the victory was hollow.  They left the field of battle to the Indians, who made a grand show of circling the camp when they left.  Crook felt he needed reinforcements to pursue the Indians further, and would not leave the Goose Creek Camp until they arrived.  The Crow scouts departed shortly after the battle, vowing they would return in two weeks.  Fritz felt they had lost faith in their commander, and were attempting to bow out gracefully.

He found his way to the corral.  He whistled, and both Strider and Buddy came running over.  They horses were an amalgam of what he felt.  Buddy was full of the exuberance of youth, while Strider bore the scars of this life.  Both horses were willing to carry him, but Strider also carried experience with his saddle.  He petted both between the eyes.  Strider looked at him.  Fritz looked over the horse’s wounds.  Like his, Fritz feared some would never heal properly.

“Penny for your thoughts,” Bill said.  Fritz had been so engrossed in caring for his horses that he didn’t even notice Bill walking up.  

Fritz turned to salute but his friend waved him off.

“I was just thinking about all the friends we’ve lost today.  The price is getting pretty damned high.”

“That’s what we do,” Bill replied.  “It’s what we’ve always done.”

“They fought hard at the Rosebud…harder than we’ve ever seen before.  Do you think their village was down the valley?”

Bill nodded.  “There’s nothing more dangerous than a man fighting for his home and family.”

“What if the roles were reversed?” Fritz asked.  “What if they were attacking us in the heartland…attacking the way we lived.  
Wouldn’t we fight just as hard?”

“I suppose” Bill replied.  

“The American people are going to scream for blood after this.  They’ll scream for the extermination of the Sioux race.  Do we have the right?  Do we want that on our conscience?”

“You make good points” Bill said.  “But that is for politicians to decide.  We’re Soldiers.  We carry out policy.  We don’t question it.”

“Well, maybe it’s time someone spoke for them.  They’re hungry, and want to keep their way of life.”

Bill asked “What are your intentions?”

“If we aren’t going to pursue the Indians immediately, we’re wasting time.  I didn’t come here to waste time.  If the General won’t strike while the iron’s hot, I’m done.  I’ve got my twenty.  I’ve had enough. ”

“I was hoping to pass the Second on to you.  Who can I replace you with?”

“Johann,” Fritz said.  “I promoted him to First Lieutenant a little while ago.  He’s come a long way since the early days.  He’s ready.”

“I hate to lose you,” Bill said.

“Scott was right,” Fritz replied.  “You lost me on the mission to Mexico.  Part of me never came back from that hell-hole.  But a part of me was reborn, too.  A part that I thought had died forever.  I’m going to live Bill.  I’ll live for Scarlet.  I’ll live for myself.  I’ve paid my wage to Uncle Sam.”

“Very well,” Bill Replied.  “See the Quartermaster to cash out.  Come see me before you go.”  Bill took a step back and saluted.  “Thanks for coming back Fritz.  We’ll miss you.  Thank you for your service.”

Fritz saluted, and then extended his hand.  “It was my honor, sir.  If ever you’re in Texas, please stop by.”

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #877 on: January 11, 2010, 09:30:52 AM »
Scarlet wasn’t surprised at Ella’s comment regarding Major Samuels, the man appeared very out of place here.

“Do you have anything that can be used as a good eye wash?” Scarlet asked.

Ella looked at her “are your eyes bothering you?” she asked.

“Not me, Strider. He went down pretty hard. I think he got a lot of dirt in his eye. I’d like something better than just plain water, which is what I have available that is safe for eyes. Something to fight infection would be best if you have it and can spare it. If not I’ll think of something else perhaps.”

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #878 on: January 11, 2010, 10:38:04 AM »
He walked to the Quartermaster’s tent.  As all of Fritz’s uniforms and equipment were Civil War stocks, they had long ago been written off as paid in full.  The only things he was charged for were his revolver and carbine; a grand total of 33 dollars.  Fritz had no intention of keeping the carbine, but it was back at the ranch.  He was assured by the Quartermaster that he could turn it in at the fort at El Paso, and have his money refunded.  His monthly pay at Captain’s rank was about $208.00.  Subtracting the price of his weapons, he walked away from the Quartermaster’s tent with $175.00.  As Strider was wounded, he was given to Fritz as well.  The Army no longer had to care for an injured mount…or an injured Soldier.

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #879 on: January 11, 2010, 12:22:58 PM »
"I don't need the ingredients for eyewash for any of the wounded men.  I'll boil it up as soon as I clean the kettle."

"Strider doesn't need that much!"

"But it's the only kettle I brought, and I don't trust the cleanliness of anything that hasn't been in my control."

Escorted by Samuel and Chris, they walked together down to the creek, well upstream of the camp. Ella scrubbed the inside of the kettle out with sand, before filling it with water. Back at the scout camp, she poured some of the water out into a waterskin, added chopped root and bark and set it to simmer. After half an hour, she took it off the heat and added dried leaves. When those had steeped long enough, she strained the liquid through cheesecloth into a clean bottle and added a little salt.

"What all did you put in there?" asked Scarlet.

"Goldenseal root, Bayberry bark, Eyebright herb, raspberry leaf, and salt," replied Ella. "It's a standard eyewash recipe. Now I should get back to the wounded."
Elegant Ella

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com