Author Topic: The Last Patrol  (Read 302278 times)

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: The Last Patrol
« Reply #760 on: November 25, 2008, 08:43:32 PM »
Cyrus spent his time riding between the scouts in the front of the group and the ones in the back listening and observing. Conversations and actions told him alot about his people. He always found it interesting to see the differences between the old timers and the greenhorns.

In Cyrus' opinion Dick was falling somewhere in between. Cyrus wouldn't trust him on his own. He didn't look for Dick to be coming back, Cyrus just wasn't sure if he'd die in combat or desert. Dick had survived this far though and not been a deserter, maybe Cyrus would be surprised.

Bo and Scarlet seemed to be at ease. Cyrus knew this was not Bo's first time in this postion. Scarlet had only commented that the group she rode with was bigger than what she was used to but it didn't seem to concern her.

"The Scarlet Angel, heaven and hell all rolled into one.... I’d hate to be the one on the hell side.” ~Patches McDuff

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." John Wayne

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."  Mark Twain

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #761 on: December 10, 2008, 05:03:09 PM »
"C and G Company of the 3rd were sent forward to Fort Reno yesterday, in an attempt by General Crook to locate our wayward Indian Scouts.  So far, nothing has been seen of them.  We only made about twelve miles today.  We should’ve left earlier, but that wasn’t my call.  I’m so used to moving fast and light that I forget how long it takes an army to get organized.  We have cavalry, infantry, civilian scouts, teamsters, wagons, etc, etc…

We’re bivouacked on the banks of Sage Creek.  I’m sure that Scarlet plans to bunk with her cronies, and I plan to sleep here with my men.  Still, I hope to see her.  The General surprised me by bringing tentage with the wagons.  My tent is small but comfortable.  The night is quiet and cool, but no intolerably so.  I’ve got a few aches and pains today, but who doesn’t in this line of work?  I’d forgotten how comfortable riding in the column can be.  I don’t mean physical comfort of course; I mean the ease of slipping into that familiar semi-alert state.  We ride in force, which is always comforting.  But we know there is an enemy out there, of unknown strength and disposition.  Several times I caught myself running my hand over the butt of my new pistol.  It has comfortable curves and contours…much like the lady who gave it to me.  But I digress…"   

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #762 on: December 13, 2008, 12:49:16 PM »
Cyrus’ eyes followed Bo’s gaze as he stood next to him. “I seen Teddy pray like that ‘fore, coarse his horse don’t pray with him.” Cyrus chuckled.

“She ain’t prayin’.” Bo replied smiling at Cyrus’ comment.

“What are they doing?” He asked watching with curiosity now.

“She’s listening to the winds and the surroundings.” Teddy said with excitement in his voice. “Do you think she would mind company?”

Bo raised an eyebrow and looked at him. “No, but if you make fun of her she’ll knock you right on yer butt.”

“Been to long since I took the time.” Teddy replied walking out to join Scarlet who sat on the balls of her feet looking across the landscape, her hands barely touching the top of the grasses. Lucky stood next to her, his head high and nostrils flared.

“The scouts that have the strangest quirks seem to be the best at their jobs.” Cyrus commented watching Teddy go. “He used to tell me he was prayin’ probably so I wouldn’t give him any gruff.” He looked at Bo. “You don’t do that? Talk to the four winds or whatever she’s doing?”

The corners of Bo’s lips slightly curled. “Not as often as I should. She is better at it, like her father, and what ever she doesn’t pick up that horse probably does.”

“You’re not going to try and tell me she can hear what we’re talking about are you?”

“No.” Bo chuckled. “She’s to far away, no doubt Lucky can.”

“You have a long stride for you height.” Scarlet said when Teddy was within earshot.

He smiled. “Do you mind the company?”

“No.”

“What does she say?” Teddy asked referring to Mother Earth as he took the same position Scarlet was in.

“Weather’s not going to hold, gonna get cold, but that’s something you should know. It's what is carried on the winds I am listening to.”

Teddy half smiled. “Tell me.”

Scarlet slowly stood and faced him. “I always gave Bo a hard time when he wanted a smoke on the trail. You can smell it for miles.”

“I’ve haven’t seen him smoke.”

Scarlet half grinned. “A glowing ember makes a fine target; you should know that, he should too, ‘specially for men that use their Long Toms very often.”

The comment brought a full smile to Teddy’s lips. “Best be careful sayin’ that. Wrong man might think yer talkin’ of something other than a buffalo gun.”

Scarlet didn’t look amused.

Teddy quickly went on. “What else?”

“Somebody that travels with us is wearing big rowled spurs and the wagons are noisy.”

Teddy tilted his head to the side in question. “You hear spurs in all that noise?”

“I like the sound a spur makes when they sing, not being driven into horse’s flesh but just the sound, it’s like a familiar song or something. But one shouldn’t be signing if you’re hunting now show they?”

“Army movement is not quiet.”

“I know.” She replied with a silent chuckle.

It surprised Teddy that Scarlet found that comment amusing.

Teddy narrowed his eyes looking into hers. “Just how many times have you been a tracker of instead of a tracker for the Army?”

Scarlet continued to smile. “It worries me Teddy. We are in the house of the enemy we seek to find and we sound like some parade coming. We move slow.”

Teddy stood and ran his hand down Lucky’s neck looking close at the horse. “You are used to moving light and fast, small group. Ghosts they used ta call you people. I watched you today Scarlet. I’ve been curious to see your style away from practice and the safety of the fort. Your teachers have taught you well, who ever they were.

Does Bo listen like you do? I saw him riding at different spots in line listening to the sounds, like you.”

“Bo was taught by the some of the same teachers. We have a few different tactics, but we compliment one another working together. I need to know the sounds of those I am riding with. So I know when something is out of place.”  Scarlet’s eyes danced with humor as she taking his offered arm to walk back. “It’s going to be the smells of that many gone unbathed that will really take some getting used to as the days go by.”
"The Scarlet Angel, heaven and hell all rolled into one.... I’d hate to be the one on the hell side.” ~Patches McDuff

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."  Mark Twain

Advertising

« Reply #763 on: Today at 09:07:53 PM »

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #763 on: December 17, 2008, 10:17:16 AM »
Teddy stopped half way back to camp. “Can you smell that?” he asked taking a deep breath.

Scarlet gave him a look that said are you kidding then replied “I been smellin’ that since the gates at the fort opened that first day. I smell it on every one of us and I feel it in you.”

Teddy looked surprised and thought about taking his arm back.

“Fear is different for everyone that rides in this group Teddy. I tol’ you, I’m worried  we will be found far before we find them.”

Teddy smiled and continued to walk. “We have too many good scouts.”

Scarlet took a deep breath, faced Teddy and looked into his eyes. He tried to glance away but couldn’t.

“You fear.” She paused, taking hand as she kept looking into his eyes. “You fear.” Scarlet let go of his hand and looked away before looking back at him. Teddy almost looked ashamed.

Scarlet took his arm again and began to walk. “I am a believer of fate Teddy, but I also believe you can change your own fate.  I was once sure I would die young. Like you I’ve saw my own death in my dreams, brutal and bloody. That dream became reality; I knew almost every move and every thing that would happen. Yet there were a few different players in the reality than in the dream and I am still here. It is no shame to fear what you have seen in your dreams.”

Teddy smiled slightly “Perhaps I should stick close to you. You are something I have never seen in my dreams.”

Scarlet grinned at the comment and let go of his arm. They were back in camp. Teddy joined Cyrus and Bo while Scarlet continued towards the soldier’s camp.

The soldier that stood outside Fritz’s tent tuned. The woman and horse that stood behind him caused him to jump nearly dropping his weapon. Scarlet raised an eyebrow thinking if they were already this jumpy things were not going to be good.

“Horse should be on the picket line.” Was all the soldier could muster as he eyed the long gun resting in it’s scabbard.

“Do not touch him or my gear. He’ll bite you.” Scarlet said.

“Yes ma’am.” The soldier replied suddenly realizing he was now staring at the Captain’s wife.

Scarlet had not planned to come over this evening, she didn't want to disturb Fritz but talking with Teddy had changed her mind. She watched the soldier for a moment hesitating to desturb his Captain.

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #764 on: December 18, 2008, 04:37:54 PM »
“Don’t touch him or my gear.  He’ll bite you”

“Yes ma’am.”

Fritz smiled, setting the pencil down.  He’d been thinking of her as he wrote the last line.  He could see with greater perspective what her presence was like to an outsider.  A woman of exceptional beauty, who carried herself and fought better than most men he knew.  She entered your mind like a tornado.  No force other than nature herself could push Scarlet out.

What a sight she must’ve been to the young trooper outside his tent.  Twin Walkers strapped to her hips only drew your eyes to her curves.  The large bore hunting rifle slung from the scabbard of the coal-black stallion told you she meant business.  Although Fritz couldn’t see her, he was sure she was smirking, one eyebrow raised as if in question.

Fritz rose from his campstool.  “Let her in son, and go get yourself some coffee.”

The tent flap lifted, and Scarlet entered.  “Permission to enter, sir?” she said, smiling.

He took her into his arms.  They embraced fiercely.  Lips, eyes, hands and hearts met as one.

“It’s good to see you too,” Fritz replied, as he came up for air.

Fritz offered her the bed, while he took the campstool.  “So, how are things?”

“This column makes more noise than a Chinese funeral procession,” she replied.  “I’m used to traveling quicker and quieter than this.”

Fritz nodded.  “Agreed.  I’ve spent more time in your company recently than in this Company.”  Fritz reached for the cigar on the edge of his desk.  It was out.  He grabbed it anyway.  “Have you noticed anything else?”

“Yes,” Scarlet said.  “The smell.”  She said it with a straight face.  Fritz laughed despite himself. 

“It can get kind of ripe among the unwashed masses…”

“No,” Scarlet interrupted.  “That’s not what I meant.  “I smell fear.  I felt it from Teddy over in the Scout’s Camp.  I smelled it here from the trooper at your tent flap.  Many of these men are untried.  Their fear of the unknown can cripple them at an inopportune moment.”

“I wish I could give a straight answer to that,” Fritz mused.  “The only way to gain experience in this job is to do it.  You can only pray that all the training we gave them will prove useful.  If done right, their response will be automatic.  They will fight.  What is it you always say?  ‘Courage is being afraid, but saddling up anyway?”

“We shall see,” she said.  “So far, we’ve had no sign that the column has been spotted.  There’s been no sign whatsoever.  Have you seen or heard anything?”

Fritz rolled the unlit cigar in his fingers.  “General Crook has dispatched two Companies to search for our Indian Scouts.  So far, we’ve not heard from them.”

“Do you suspect collusion of some kind?”

“If so, it’s from those bastards that run the reservations,” he replied.  “If they’d give the people the supplies they need, instead of trying to feed them rancid beef, we wouldn’t have this problem.”

Scarlet looked at her husband.  “Have you ever considered becoming an Indian Agent yourself?”

Fritz stopped rolling the cigar.  Could that be what Grey Eagle had meant?  Was that the vision he spoke of?  He wished he could talk to him now, but in present company, Fritz knew the warrior wouldn’t be welcome.

“Something to think about…if we all live through this, that is.”  Fritz took his wife’s hand. 

He asked, “Can you stay?”       

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #765 on: December 18, 2008, 10:31:06 PM »
Scarlet slid her arms around his neck and stood on her tip toes. Fritz could feel her warm breath as she whispered “What is it about you that I have never been able to resist?”

He could see her eyes sparkle in the light as she stepped way from him. He thought she’d stay until she ducked under the tent flap.

Strange way to depart he thought watching where she’d disappeared to. He listened for the sound of Lucky’s hoof beats carrying her to where ever she might be going but strangely enough he didn’t hear them. What he could her was her soft voice, obviously she was talking to Lucky, damn if the horse didn’t softly nicker a response.

The tent flap opened and Scarlet stepped back in carrying her saddle and gear. She set it carefully in the corner, removed the rifle from the scabbard and set it safely near the bed. He turned to watch her as she moved around him a smile pulling at the corners of his mouth.

Scarlet sat back on the bed and looked up at him. “Are you going to answer my question?”

“What?” Fritz asked stepping towards her.

She smiled warm and sweet as she looked at him. “What is it about you Mr. Fritz that I cannot resist?”

He could see her eyes dance as she tried to look innocent.

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #766 on: December 27, 2008, 09:38:21 AM »
Fritz stood quiet, his eyes told her he was surprised by something folks say and expect no answer Scarlet had asked him directly, and looked to expect an answer.
She knew his mind had been elsewhere, hell they were surrounded by things to keep one's mind elsewhere for months. There were things a Captain had to think about, worries that were unique to only him. She had many of her own concerns in the position she currently held.
Perhaps he really didn't know, after all the question should be asked "What is it about me you cannot resist?" to be appropriately answered if one COULD answer a'tall. She tried to keep from grinning as she watched him; Her handsome man, with the grey blue eyes that seemed to change color with his mood.   
“Sit.” She said with a slight grin at the surprised look he’d given her.

Fritz took the seat, it was hard to say if it was more offered or ordered. Her touch was cool on his skin as she started to massage his neck.

“I may not be able to solve your problems Sugar but I am a good listener.” Scarlet said as her fingers worked their way down his spine. 

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #767 on: January 09, 2009, 07:09:50 AM »
Trust…it’s a funny thing.  Though it’s sometimes given, it usually has to be earned.  And there are degrees of trust to be considered.  How much or how little do you trust a person, or just what do you trust that person with?  It’s such a rare thing.  To trust someone so completely that you let them stand behind you with their hands at your throat.  Fritz had no illusions.  He didn’t consider himself to be a dangerous man, though there were some who would argue that point.  He knew that Scarlet was a dangerous woman.  He’d seen her in action the first time they’d met.  She was equally dangerous with guns, knives, or her bare hands.  But they loved each other so completely that this simple act was, in this moment, the most beautiful thing ever imagined.   

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #768 on: January 09, 2009, 08:03:58 AM »
Ella unloaded Joker and got him and Aaron settled in the horse lines before she carried her bed roll over to the scouts' camp while the orderlies were still raising tents for the medical team to sleep in. Major Martin had offered her a place inside, but she wasn't trusting enough to sleep with all those men she didn't know well.

The scouts were not bothering with canvas between them and the sky. They could strike camp in a few minutes and be ready to head out at the crack of dawn.

Bo, Chris and Samuel had saved her a space amongst them.
Elegant Ella

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #769 on: January 09, 2009, 09:10:43 AM »
Bo smiled at her approach. He had to admit to himself he felt better that Ella was here instead of with the medics. Here she was safer, in his opinion, among these men rather than the men she traveled with. Perhaps it was because he had come to respect MOST of the men here. Chris and Samuel no doubt thought a lot of her. Not that he didn’t think she couldn’t take care of herself but having someone watch yer back was always better.

He pulled the saddle off of Dancer and ground tied the horse near his bedroll.

“Ain’t you afraid he’ll wander off or spook?” Cyrus asked.

Bo half smiled. “If he wanders off he’ll find Lucky.”

“Did you pick that up from Scarlet or she from you?” Black beard joked.

“My brother perhaps.” He reached out and petted Dancer with a smile. “He said it was the one who would sneak into camp close to a man to steal his horse was the man you best watch. He was either stupid or very brave. He would run a long rope next to the bed roll so if the horse moved he’d feel it.”

“Just cut the rope.” Chris said.

“Go steal him.”

“The rope ain’t under yer bedroll.”

Bo shrugged his shoulders.

Chris and Samuel walked over and started to inspect the horse. Chris picked up the lead rope, and tried to lead Dancer, who raised his head but stood hard.

Chris looked at him “Comon Dancer” he said pulling the rope again. Dancer proceeded to paw the air.

Ella grinned. “Maybe I could give it a try.”

“No doubt you will be successful.” Bo said with a chuckle and a wink.

“Lets see.” Chris said dropping the rope.

Ella walked over, patted Dancer’s neck, ran her hand down the leg he had not pawed with and slipped off the thin, dark colored rope. She picked up Dancer’s lead and walked the horse easily around. Then returned him and put the soft rope back in place.”

“Ah you knew.” Chris said.

“You could have asked if there was something else tying him.” Ella said.
“So are all your horses like that?” Cyrus asked.

“A lot of ‘em.” Bo replied.

“And Lucky?”

Bo snorted. “Lucky is of his own mind. If she doesn’t want him to wander Scarlet will do that but he will stay close to her regardless.”

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #770 on: January 11, 2009, 11:40:40 PM »
Ella commented, "My horse Aaron is not much like Dancer and Lucky. But then, he's just a good horse who only had ordinary training until three years ago. Dancer and Lucky are both extraordinary horses who have had extraordinary training their whole lives."

"Your Ruth has had special training her whole life," replied Bo.

"Yes, but different training from what you and Scarlet give. And she is really just a good farmer's horse underneath. Lucky is probably the smartest horse I have ever met, smart enough that he would never have been tamed if he had grown up wild."
Elegant Ella

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #771 on: January 12, 2009, 09:11:39 AM »
"Lucky's mother was a mustang, a good mother who taught him what it is to be wild, she love's Scarlet and was smart enough to figure out her life was easier in Scarlet's barn. She taught Lucky alot of things, if you've spent much time with them you can see the similarities in mannerisms, she tolerates other riders though not an easy ride when she doesn’t want to be.” Bo chuckled at the last comment; she’d given him a few rough rides. “Lucky’s mother will watch everything you do, like his father and just like him. They all figure out things I don’t think a horse should know. That’s what makes them escape artists.

Lucky’s father is much like him in the way Rose is his rider, as Scarlet is Lucky’s. Rose’s horse will tolerate a few other riders but really shines for Rose. I don’t believe he would hurt her, but under another handler scares me at times.”

“You start with a good horse underneath. Ruth, I think would do whatever you asked her or taught her. You have that special bond with her and she is very smart. My horse, Thunder is a good solid horse, as Rose would say. Good for anybody to ride, which makes him more valuable in some ways than Lucky, I think she says that to make me smile though.” Bo chuckled then smiled as he looked at Dancer. “Smartest thing Travis ever did was listen to Rose when it came to horses then he married her daughter. Travis trained Dancer with Rose’s help.”

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #772 on: January 12, 2009, 02:13:44 PM »
"Aaron is also a good solid horse, and will give anyone a good ride. I'm glad I have Rose and Scarlet to help me train Solomon. He's clearly smarter than Ruth was at his age. When we get back, I'll find out who the father of Ruth's next foal is going to be. I left that decision in Rose's hands."  Ella paused, thinking. "If we are riding into danger, am I better off on Aaron, who has been my horse for a few years, or on Joker, whom I have ridden only a few times? Joker is faster, but Aaron will obey leg and balance cues so that I don't have to use reins."
Elegant Ella

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #773 on: January 12, 2009, 10:00:16 PM »
“Joker works off of leg pressure and body weight, most of the horses we raise do. He’s solid and has been up to his knees in blood and gunfire. I would say the advantage you would have with Aaron would be you know him well. How he will react under certain circumstances, if you have been exposed to them. I can tell you how Joker would respond but you have little experience riding him. If you think you will be in a situation where it’s going to turn into a horse race choose Joker. Ride him and become comfortable with him. If you were scouting Ella I would say yes your life could depend on a horse race. Riding with the medics, the only reason I would think you would need a faster horse is if you need to get to a patient and time is precious.” Bo replied.

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #774 on: January 12, 2009, 11:25:16 PM »
After a short time of silence Scarlet decided since Fritz wasn’t going to talk she would.

“It’s strange the things one becomes accustomed to, sights, sounds, and smells. Things a person become so used to living with, so used to it being in their surroundings that these sights and sounds sometimes go unnoticed even when you are hunting someone. You have to keep your mind sharp and your ears and eyes open, always. Don’t let your senses dull or you will miss that slight sound or smell that otherwise should not be there because it is something you have grown used to.

Take for instance the sound of a man wearing roweled spurs. The make a pretty song to some. To those people they might enjoy the sound, it is something they are used to hearing. To someone who is not used to hearing them it is out of place. A noise that alerts you like a bell on a still night. I don’t know how many people we are traveling with Fritz, but I can tell you there is one who is wearing large roweled spurs.”

“Do you want me to find out who it is?” Fritz asked.

“The Indians are going to hear the wagons long before the spurs and they are going to smell the tobacco smoke before that. What I’m asking you is if you smoke that cigar you be very careful about it, but I would prefer you didn’t smoke it at all.” 

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #775 on: January 24, 2009, 11:55:53 AM »
They spoke softly for a good part of the night before falling asleep.

Scarlet was sure she was quiet when she gathered her things getting ready to leave. Turning she saw him standing behind her.

She smiled and said. “I’ve got to go.” Looking past him she said. “We’ve got to go.”

Fritz looked over his shoulder. It was clear who she was talking to when he heard the horse rise from where he laid down just outside the tent next to the cot.

He looked back at her, stepped forward and took her in his arms kissing her passionately. When they separated he saw the look and the smile she flashed his way. When ever he asked what he was thinking she would just say it was something complimentary. He knew it was that and something more. The fire in her eyes held much more than a compliment. Fritz placed his hand on her arm. “Tell me just once what the thought is behind that look.”

Scarlet’s grin turned mischievous as she traced her fingers along his chest. “I asked you a few things last night you never answered.”

He shook his head as she ducked out of the tent flap with her saddle. Scarlet stepped back in to pick up the rifle. “They’re not always the same you know, but they are always good.” She stepped into his arms and kisses him again, then smiled while she looked into his eyes. “This time I was thinking..” She blushed as she hesitated slightly.

“What?”

“I was thinking because of you I know what heaven feels like.” She said.

“I hardly think this is heaven.”

“We’ll I spent a lot of time in hell Fritz. I think I know this difference, but yer right, this here is not heaven, it’s how I feel when I am with you.” She kissed him quickly and stepped out before he could say anything.

When Scarlet reached where the scout’s were camped some of them were saddled. Frank greeted her with a cup of coffee. “Cyrus wondered if we would ride out for a couple days see what we could find.”

Cyrus was looking her way wondering if she would make an issue of riding with someone other than Bo.

“Can you keep up?” Scarlet teased. Frank smiled “We’ll see.”

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #776 on: January 27, 2009, 12:21:53 AM »
Ella had her supplies loaded onto Aaron before the officers on the medical team came out of their tents and wagons. Major Martin was the oldest by at least 10 years, but others were moving like older men. Major Samuels especially looked like someone who hadn't been doing enough riding lately.

She saddled Joker, then stood waiting for the command to mount up.

Major Samuels groaned when the command came, and he struggled into the saddle.

"Major Samuels, I have some good liniment. You might want to use it when we stop tonight."

"Thank you, but I'm sure I'll be fine."

"If you decide you want to use it, just let me know," replied Ella.  Given how stiff Samuels was after one short day of riding, she expected Samuels to need the liniment, but she doubted he was going to be willing to admit that.  She would let Major Martin know it was available, and let him handle the situation.

Elegant Ella

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #777 on: February 04, 2009, 10:11:41 PM »
Bo rode with Chris for most of the day. When they first met Bo would have guessed they would have beat the tar out of one another before riding together and having pleasant conversations. They’d ridden far enough to find the next place to set up camp and then reported back. Cyrus had started to send the scouts out farther to see what could be found, a good many of them weren’t due back for a couple of days, including Scarlet.

Bo had thought of saying something about Scarlet riding with Frank, but she would have been mad and accused him of being overprotective. She would have been right. The two worked well together and had skills that complimented one another. Bo guessed it was not his place to say anything about Frank being a “ladies man” that would have made Scarlet madder than him being over protective. She would have taken it as he didn’t trust her. He still couldn’t help have the feeling he should have been the one going with her.

Ella and Joker were a nice diversion from his thoughts of Scarlet and where she was. Ella seemed to be getting along well with the horse. Joker had earned his name in many ways. Mostly as a foal but as he got older he, like many of the horses Scarlet rode, seemed to develop quite the personality. If he liked someone he could be one of the best mounts on the ranch. If he didn’t he was not a very pleasant ride at all. He never was much of a bucker, but he seemed to know just how far he could go before getting reprimanded. He had a gait that could jar your teeth and tie your guts in knots. But if he liked you he’d carry you all day with no fuss at all. Scarlet said he liked a rider with a light touch. Luckily he liked Bo so would be easy to answer Ella’s questions.

He rode up next to her. “Looks like you two are getting along.”   

Ella smiled “Yes, but he is slow to react to what I ask him. I know he has quicker responses.”

“What do you mean?”

“When I ask him to stop he takes a few steps before doing it, when I ask him to turn it’s a wide circle instead of what I have seen him do for others.”

Bo grinned. “First you have to know how to ask then you need to let him know it’s time for work, not a stroll across the country.”

Ella looked questioningly at Bo.

“First, he is not your mare. With her your posture is different; your weight is different in the saddle, different training. Roll your hips slightly; put your weight on your butt.” Bo shifted in the saddle to show Ella what he meant.

The first thing Ella noticed was Dancer suddenly looked more alert.

“When you tell him to Whoa say it with authority. Not loud, just mean it, and put your weight on the pockets of your trousers.” When he showed her Dancer stopped immediately and the sound of his voice made Joker’s head come up.  Ella tried it and Joker stopped immediately. Bo showed her the cues he could think of and when they were done he said. “Now you can ride like a cowgirl and you are a good student as well as a teacher.”   

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #778 on: February 06, 2009, 11:03:06 PM »
"I guess he was getting my signals and wondering, 'Does she really mean it?'", replied Ella. "I was thinking of alternating between Joker and Aaron, but maybe I should stay on Joker for a few days, to get us used to each other."
Elegant Ella

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #779 on: February 10, 2009, 10:47:08 PM »
Bo spun Dancer in a full circle. “I’d forgotten he was this much fun.” Bo said with a grin. “Ride him tomorrow. I will bet the two of you will be in tune to one another by first break if you work with him a little.”

When they reached camp Bo helped Ella unpack Aaron.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com