Author Topic: The Last Patrol  (Read 302293 times)

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The Last Patrol
« Reply #740 on: June 16, 2008, 02:01:25 PM »
Fritz was relieved to see Scarlet arrive at the officers mess. He hadn't had enough time free to even send her a message suggesting that she join him for dinner in the mess after Major Bill had told him that the two of them were dining with General Crook that evening. He stood with all the men in the room, then walked over to her. She took his arm to walk to the table with Major Bill and General Crook.

Ella stayed inside the doorway on Bo's arm, looking around the room. Several officers she had not met were gesturing to free chairs in invitation, but after dinner with Colonel Winslow last week, she was cautious of accepting any of those seats. There were two seats free at the table where Major Martin and Major Samuels were, so Bo led her over there and pulled a chair out for her.  She sat, and Bo pulled out the remaining chair for himself. Major Samuels straightened up again and said, "You are dismissed, scout."

Ella spoke up, "I would rather have Mister Corbin stay, even though the dinner here won't be as good as the meals he shared with President Grant at the Southern Starr." She would have liked to refer to him as Captain Corbin, but no one in the room was likely to be willing to acknowledge his rank in the Confederate Army.

Major Martin just sat down and kept his laughter to himself. He was amused that Ella had read Major Samuels's ambitions already. He hadn't quite been able to picture Ella as a city hostess before seeing her in city dress with city manners.

Bo eyed Samuels for a split second. He didn't particularly care for the man, thinking Samuels was a poor judge of character and a tender foot on the battle field. Instead of replying with what was really on his mind he looked at Samuels and replied. "If Mrs. Coatsworth wants me to remain, I will." It was a statement plain and simple. He then turned his attention to Ella and smiled, "President Grant would no doubt prefer what is being served in the scout camp this evening. He sure did like your cooking." 

Major Martin got his amusement enough under control to say, "You are welcome here, sir."

"Thank you, Major, as you are at our fire." Bo replied before removing his hat and taking a seat.
Elegant Ella

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #741 on: June 19, 2008, 09:56:27 PM »
It had been some time since Scarlet practiced her lady like skills, but they seemed to return quickly with the proper dress and setting. She thought mother would be proud to see her practicing her southern charm along with her manners.

She was sure by some of the looks that went around the table none of the men would have bet she would be able to fit in with proper ladies before tonight, even Fritz seemed surprised by the lady that sat next to him. 

Scarlet admitted to herself she was a little rusty on her correct manners as far as the socialites would be concerned, but the men didn’t seem to notice. Maybe they were to busy trying to figure out if it was really her or not she thought amusingly to herself.

Before they departed the mess tent Major Bill took Scarlet’s hand. “I never had the pleasure of meeting your mother, but I think she must be a very elegant lady, as her daughter is.”

Scarlet smiled at the compliment. “Thank you Major.”
"The Scarlet Angel, heaven and hell all rolled into one.... I’d hate to be the one on the hell side.” ~Patches McDuff

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." John Wayne

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."  Mark Twain

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #742 on: June 23, 2008, 09:53:49 PM »
Scarlet was up and dressed before the sun the next morning. She found Billy on duty as she stepped outside the tent flap.

“Good morning Mrs. King.”

“Good morning.” Scarlet replied noticing he’d called her “Mrs. King” for the first time since in a long time and in a rather formal tone.

“Is there coffee over the fire?” She asked.

“Yes, ma’am. I will get it for you.” Billy said starting to move.

“I think it’s my turn to get it.” Scarlet said stepping around him.

Billy kept his post until she returned.

“Thank you ma’am.” He said as she handed him a cup.

Scarlet noticed he didn’t stand at ease nor did he try and engage her in any conversation. It was like he didn’t know what to say to her this morning, or maybe he just didn’t want to talk to her, she wasn’t sure.

Scarlet stepped inside the tent taking the cup she’d brought for Fritz to him. “Is there any reason Private Glass is on his formal behavior this morning?”

“None I know about.” He replied taking the cup. “Thank you.” He said followed by a kiss. “This is the army; there is nothing wrong with a bit of formality.” He said with half a grin.

Scarlet laughed softly at his comment.

“Are you joining me for breakfast?” He asked.

“Only if you are going to the scout’s camp.”

Frank was the first one they encounter when they reached the scout camp. He stood, removed his hat and greeted them. “Mornin’.”

“Good Mornin’.” They replied.

Scarlet thought it strange Frank removed his hat but said nothing.  As they filled their plates  they were greeted by the others in much the same way as Frank had done.
"The Scarlet Angel, heaven and hell all rolled into one.... I’d hate to be the one on the hell side.” ~Patches McDuff

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."  Mark Twain

Advertising

« Reply #743 on: Today at 12:55:18 AM »

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #743 on: June 25, 2008, 10:55:18 AM »
Ella giggled at the expression on Scarlet's face when Chris bowed and tipped his hat to greet her.

Scarlet turned at the sound and asked, "Do you know what's going on?"

"The scouts were reminded by our outfits last night that we are ladies," replied Ella. "I think they'll get back to normal behavior in a little while. It's nice to have the dress-up clothes available, although I don't intend to eat in the officers mess every evening."
Elegant Ella

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #744 on: June 27, 2008, 11:01:27 AM »
Scarlet smiled and shook her head with a soft chuckle.  “I agree with you Ella.” Scarlet said.

“You two fit in very well with the officers.” Fritz remarked.

Scarlet suppressed her grin. “Yes Sugar. I can hold my opinions for a while. I know all about being seen and not heard.”

Scarlet didn’t miss the laugh Bo let slip out at her comment. She shot him a look over her shoulder.

“She’s right she can hold them for awhile. But look out when she’s reached the boiling point.” He chuckled.

Scarlet shot him another look then laughed.

“I’ve seen it. She’s learned from the best of ‘em. Ladies that know their place, but when they can’t stand it any more can drop the mouths of all the men at the table and say it oh so sweet you don’t know if you’ve really been insulted or not.” He said, his grin getting wider. Then he turned to Ella. “How about you Ella, is it much different in Boston?”

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #745 on: June 27, 2008, 11:46:59 AM »
"The main difference in all of the eastern cities is that the definition of a lady's place is a lot narrower. Last night, Major Martin encouraged me to participate in a discussion of the medical unit. Major Samuels is fresh from the East, and was doubtful about whether I could have anything useful to say, even after seeing me teach a field medicine class that I developed. He had an easier time accepting Bo expressing his opinions," replied Ella. "In Boston, Alan did not encourage me to discuss medical matters at Dr. Abramson's dinner table, because Dr. Abramson would have objected. When I wanted to consult Alan about one of my patients, I had to do it in private, because Dr. Abramson did not approve of women practicing medicine, although he didn't consider midwifery as medicine."
Elegant Ella

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #746 on: June 29, 2008, 10:23:12 AM »
Scarlet found the expected behaviors of women from different areas interesting. Rose had taught her to hold her tongue when appropriate but if it had some importance she must speak up, choosing the correct place, time and presentation could be an art at times. Johnny had taught if you want a man to listen you best be able to speak on their level. If you don’t know what they are talking about sit and be pretty, if you do then you best know how to get their attention if they don’t want to listen to you; but like Ella had just said men still found accepting one another’s opinions easier than accepting a woman’s, even if she was right.

“Some day Ella I hope our opinions will hold as much water as a man’s.” Scarlet said. “I am lucky; the men I hang around with usually are willing to at least listen to mine.”

Bo half smiled. His mother was more like what Ella had described as a Boston house wife it had been a shock to the entire family when they moved to Texas and gotten to see Rose in action on a daily basis.

Scarlet’s mother was the most graceful, gracious and beautiful woman Bo and his family had ever met when they visited his father’s home. Bo had thought if there was a text book that described Southern Belle it should have Rose’s picture next to it. Her home was a place of beauty, still was. When the Corbin’s moved not far from Scarlet’s family the men got to see Rose in action on a daily basis. She would trade the beautiful gowns for a split skirt and become tough as nails. Johnny expected his women to be independent and be able to run things in his absence. He grinned at the memory of Rose slamming her fists on the table at the Southern Starr’s Forman and yelling “Johnny Longknife will be the least of your problems if you don’t listen to what I am telling you know!”

“Bo you are wearin’ a grin like a fox in a hen house.” he heard Scarlet say.

Bo’s grin turned to a wide smile. “Scarlet yer just like you’re ma.” He kissed her on the cheek. “I think you women have it much harder than we do in some cases. You have to fight to be heard and stay beautiful doing it.” 

Bo silently wondered if Ella’s husband would appreciate the woman she’d become. Some men didn’t care for women with much fire.

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #747 on: June 29, 2008, 10:42:08 PM »
Major Samuels brought his morning cup of coffee into Major Martin's office in the infirmary. "I thought the plans for the medical unit were all done."

"I wanted to make sure everything Mrs. Coatsworth mentioned was covered."

"That was mostly just nursing issues. I thought Mr. Corbin's comments about the wound mix we should expect were more significant."

"Don't discount the importance of nursing," replied Major Martin, who had tried to tell Major Samuels what wound mix to expect from combat with Indians. "During the War between the States, the difference between life and death for half of the wounded depended on the quality of the nursing care they received. Mrs. Coatsworth was probably the second-best nurse I saw then. I'm sure her skills surpass her aunt's by now. Based on what Griffin said about her, she well might be able to take the Army exam and qualify as an assistant surgeon."

"She must be older than she looks."

"She's 26 or 27 now. She was just a girl during the war. Dr. Coatsworth is a lucky man. He's got a wife who can be a great help in his career."

"She hasn't the looks or the breeding to be an important hostess. The dress she was wearing wasn't at all fashionable."

"By breeding, you must mean family connections. She is certainly attractive enough, with a kind of beauty that won't fade as she gets older. Her dress wasn't in the latest mode, but it was a classic style that suited her perfectly."

"She's too outspoken for city society."

"That is the cities' loss, and the frontier's gain."
Elegant Ella

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #748 on: July 02, 2008, 10:01:55 AM »
Friday morning, Stanley brought a telegram flimsy to where Ella and Major Martin were sitting and observing Captain Henderson teach another session of field medicine. Class sizes had dwindled since the first class 10 days ago, but there continued to be a steady demand for the instruction, even after Captain Henderson had become the primary instructor. Today's class had 7 troopers and a corporal from E Company of the 3rd Cavalry.

Ella brightened when she saw the telegram, then drooped when she opened it.

"Not bad news, I hope," said Major Martin.

"Not bad news, just not what I was hoping for," replied Ella. "Alan should have gotten my letter asking for a telegram from him last week, and it worries me that he hasn't responded."

Major Martin encouraged Ella to pour her concerns into the ear of the only person around who knew her husband. 

Later that day, he wrote a letter to Doctor Alan Coatsworth in care of Harvard Medical School, and sent it off with the supply train.

Ella took the telegram to Cyrus, saying "I don't know what you want the scouts to know of this." He read,
DREW AND OWEN CONVICTED YESTERDAY AND HUNG TODAY STOP
GOING HOME STOP
TENSLEEP

Cyrus looked at Ella. "Honesty is the best where this is concerned, Ella. Drew and Owen were trouble and they had no remorse for what they done. The ones they done it to didn't provoke them in any way far as I know. If someone asks after them, I will tell them the truth. That's what I think. Unless you have a different view you would like to share?"

"Answering when asked instead of making a general announcement sounds best to me. Those two were punished as they deserved, according to evidence presented to judge and jury. I do hope no one wants vengeance for their deaths," replied Ella. "I think Reuben is facing a prison sentence, not a rope."

"I hope anyone who would seek vengeance has washed out by now. The men that were in Dick's crew have thinned out. As you know, the scouts are not all fine upstanding citizens but I think the ones that are left have had reasons for their actions of the past if they are questionable. I think you did Owen and Drew a favor by getting them to trial. These men," he said, looking over the scouts, "they tolerate bad, lewd behavior to a point. Few of them tolerate crimes against innocents. The execution Drew and Owen received was gentler than what they would have gotten here."

Ella nodded, thinking that the punishment the scouts would have given to rapists and murderers of young women would have probably started with castration, and ended with death.
Elegant Ella

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #749 on: July 16, 2008, 04:08:12 PM »
Friday, May 26
Boston

Alan answered the knock on the kitchen door, since Deborah had her hands full of dinner preparations. 

"Come in, Sarah. Have a seat. Would you like a cup of tea?" he greeted the cook from Dr. Abramson's house.

"Thank you, yes," she replied, sitting at the kitchen table.

Alan poured her a cup of tea from the kettle, and said, "I'll go to the living room while you and Mrs. Erdbeer talk."

"Actually, my business here is with you." She pulled a folded piece of paper out of her pocket and handed it to him.
He opened it to expose part of an envelope with charred edges.

"This morning, I knocked over a vase while cleaning the hall table, and spilled water on the mail that had just come. When I blotted off the envelopes, I noticed that one letter was addressed to you, from Mrs. Coatsworth. A few hours later, I found that when I cleaned the ashes out of the stove."

Alan pulled out the scrap of letter left inside and recognized the writing as Ella's. "I guess that explains why Dr. Abramson has been avoiding me lately. I'm glad that Ella also writes to you, Deborah. I don't know how to let her know that her letters to me have been lost. Sarah, will you please bring me any future letters?"

Sarah nodded agreement.
Elegant Ella

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #750 on: July 23, 2008, 11:24:10 PM »
Cyrus wiped the blood from his lip, then rubbed his chin. He’d chosen to practice hand to hand with the scouts today. Judging from the bruise he could feel developing on his lower jaw line, he was right in thinking the scouts had become more aggressive in the last week or so.

Cyrus turned to watch the others practice. Aggressive, yes, even more brutal, like they were fighting for their lives. They practiced one on one and groups against groups, afoot and horseback. He watched Scarlet closely; she was just as aggressive as anybody else on the field. She had been taught how to fight well.  He wondered how Fritz could let her ride out with a group of scouts knowing full well it could be the last time he’d see her alive.

He looked over his shoulder. Ella was with a group of soldiers teaching them what she thought was going to be most helpful too. Cyrus smiled softly recalling a conversation with Bo.

“They are women Bo. I can’t be responsible for women on the trail.” Cyrus said.

Bo took a long pull off the bottle then leveled his gaze at Cyrus. “They are survivors Cyrus. Here by their own choice. You are only as responsible for them as you are for anybody else rides with ya. You are lucky they chose to come. You have a scout trained by the man who trained me and a medic who was trained both in the old and modern ways. From my view gives us some advantage.”

The better Cyrus had come to know the women the more he’d come to know Bo was right.

He squinted at the sky, watching the puffy white clouds moving fast across it. It was in the wind, the scouts could feel it just as he could.  They were always perceptive of a coming battle. Cyrus knew without asking they would be moving out soon. 

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #751 on: August 05, 2008, 12:01:51 PM »
Cyrus looked back at Ella then to Scarlet.  He couldn’t remember how many times he had talked to Bo about them being of the fairer sex, and wondered if Marshal Ross had any of the same reservations about having women deputies. Cyrus’s own reservations were at rest now. Cyrus rubbed his chin again; a slow grin crossed his sore lip remembering Bo’s first comment about taking women into battle. “Women make some of the best fighters because they can be colder and more calculating than men.” He was right in that statement.

Looking over the men he figured some would still turn yellow and disappear under the blanket of darkness but Ella and Scarlet would be with him til the end. The question in his mind was who would not as he looked at the group of scouts. He always had the same questions many times over before a battle and the answers always came up the same. The old timers that had ridden with him through hell before were there to stay, no matter the odds, no matter how bad it got. Even though Bo didn’t make a practice of riding with Cyrus he was there for the duration too. Men and women who would die fighting for the one that stood next to them, take information to the grave with them no matter how painful the death. Cyrus’s eyes fell on Dick, his own brother. If he was to take a bet it would be Dick would be the one to do something to upset the apple cart.

Cyrus could feel his guts knot at the very thought. Dick would kill his own to save his own hide. If you could look inside a man it was Dick who had the yellow streak. He could talk a big game but he’d sell out.

Cyrus heard a voice directed at him “Yer not gonna let that little bruise on yer lip keep you away are ya?”

He looked around to see Bo looking at him. Cyrus chuckled to himself and waved Bo over.

Bo fell in beside Cyrus he walked.

“Tell me somethin’ Reb.” Cyrus said stopping in a spot no one could hear them. “How much of it is instincts and how much of it is luck and skill?”

Bo cocked his head to the side. It was a strange question coming from a man a seasoned as Cyrus.

“Skill and instincts go almost hand ‘n hand in my book. You’ve got to develop both. I never discount luck Cyrus. Sounds like yer trying to ask an old fighter a question. Just spit it out don’t run round the bushes with it.”

“In all the years you’ve been fighting Bo. Did you go against yer instincts?”

Bo considered the question. “That’s a loaded question Cyrus. There’s been a time or too I had to rely on faith. But it all depends on the situation. Mostly I go with my instincts.”

Cyrus wasn’t really getting where he wanted to go with this line of questioning so he changed strategy. “What would you do if you thought Fritz was going to do something hurtful to Scarlet.”

Bo’s eyes narrowed and grew dark, his stance even changed some. It was subtle enough a man that wasn’t good at reading body language would have missed it but it made the hair stand up on the back of Cyrus’s neck.

“I don’t believe Fritz would ever do anything knowingly that would be hurtful to her.” Bo said calmly.

“Yer instincts tell you that, don’t they?” Cyrus stated.

Bo’s stance shifted and he looked at Cyrus a little closer. “Yes, but we aren’t here to talk about Scarlet, Fritz or MY instincts. Yer still runnin’ round the bushes.”

“It’s hard for a man to think his own brother yellow Bo.” Cyrus felt like he choked on the very words. “I’m ashamed to think such a thing.”

“I want to show you something Cyrus.” Bo said just before calling Scarlet over.

Scarlet walked up and looked at the two serious faced men. “What’s the matter?”

“Nothing’s the matter. We’re just talking about kin is all. I told Cyrus Jimmy was you’re brother he says it’s not so because James Bradbury is only a shirttail relative to Rose.”

“I don’t know how you two got on the subject, especially when Jimmy’s thousand miles away. But make no doubt about it Cyrus, as far as I’m concerned Jimmy is my brother. Blood lines count when you’re breeding. Otherwise I think you can choose family with your heart. As I call Ella my sister.”

“So you’re saying you would do more for Ella and Jimmy than you would if you had a blood family member you weren’t as close to?” Cyrus asked.

“What’s the situation? I trust Ella never to ask me to do anything that would hurt either one of us as far as she’s concerned. Jimmy is a different story.” Scarlet locked her gaze onto Cyrus. “If it has to do with Dick you need to follow what yer heart tells you to do.” She stated.

Bo had to suppress a snicker.

“Are we done here?” She asked.

“No, you are to the point Scarlet. What do you think of Dick’s abilities?” Cyrus asked.

“He’s weak on the left. Favors his knee, I’m guessing some old injury perhaps, but he makes up for it with his ability to predict his opponent and tries to hide his weakness of body.”

“Would you ride with him?”

Scarlet squared her chin and she looked at Cyrus. “I would prefer you send me alone.”

“Why?”

“You know why Cyrus. Follow yer instincts and listen to what yer heart says. The man is afraid to die, which is no crime here, he is more afraid to be one upped by you in whose eyes I am not sure of. But the bottom line is he will sell someone out to save his own hide. My advise to you is send him alone if you trust him or send him with two others so they have a fighting chance.”

Cyrus looked at her; she said what he knew but had wondered if it was just him.

“I didn’t know if it was just my feelings because I really don’t want him here or if it was something else.”

“It helps to like the ones you fight with, but it’s not a requirement as long as you can do your job. You’re a good enough leader to look past if I only make you angry but can still do the job well.” Scarlet smirked “Even if I make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside doesn’t mean you’ll send me to do a job I am not capable of.”

Cyrus shook his head. “Get outta here.”

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #752 on: October 13, 2008, 11:41:29 AM »
The morning broke clear and cold.  He disengaged himself from Scarlet, and slipped out from under the blankets.  The sun was still hours from rising, and he didn’t stoke the stove.  His tent would be broken down in a short time, and if the fire was still burning, the detail would have to let it cool first.  He quickly slipped on his clothes and boots, and stepped outside.  The orderly saw him and saluted.  Fritz returned the honor.  “Son,” he said, “why don’t you see if you can rustle up some coffee for my wife and me?” 

“Yes sir,” he replied, and quickly trotted off.  Fritz reentered his tent.  It was warmer in here, but only slightly.  Scarlet was up and getting dressed.  She asked “what time is it?”

Fritz pulled his pocket watch from his vest.  “Three thirty, or there about,” he replied.

“They should be sounding Reveille soon,” Scarlet said, as she stood and stretched.  “I should make my way to the scouts’ camp.”

“Stay a minute longer,” Fritz asked.  “I have some coffee on the way.”

Two hands appeared at the tent flap, with two steaming cups.  “Thanks son,” Fritz said, passing one to his wife.

“You say that a lot,” she said, blowing across the hot cup.

“What?” he replied.

“Son…you call all of the young ones ‘son.’  Do you even know you’re doing it?”

“No…I suppose not.  But I guess they’re all my children.  They fall under my care.  It’s my job to get them home safely.  And I know that not all of them will come home.”

Scarlet kissed him on the cheek.  Her lips were warm from the coffee.  “I know you’ll do your best.”

He began to feel badly for what he’d said.  The loss of their daughter was still fresh in his mind.  He knew that mentioning children must’ve hurt her too.

“I didn’t mean that…I know that you…aw hell.”

She took his cup and hers and put them down.  She hugged him tightly, and whispered in his ear, “I know what you meant…it’s okay.”

“But I can’t protect you while you’re riding with the scouts.”

“I’ll be all right,” Scarlet replied.  “And I can’t protect you while you’re leading your men.”

“I’ll be all right too,” Fritz said.  He hoped it was true.   

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #753 on: October 13, 2008, 01:12:20 PM »
There was an envelope waiting in the box assigned to Alan when he arrived at the medical school on Monday morning. The handwriting was unfamiliar, and there was no return address, just the name "Dr. William Martin".  Alan tucked it into his jacket pocket to read later. It was probably another invitation to join a medical practice or to give another series of lectures. The number of job offers he had received after he had left Dr. Abramson's partnership was very flattering. Mrs. Erdbeer was kind enough to act as Alan's secretary, and write the necessary replies.

The lecture went well, and was followed by thoughtful questions that led into an animated discussion. When they vacated the lecture hall to make way for the next session, four people followed Alan to the dining room to continue the discussion over lunch.

Alan remembered the envelope only when he heard the paper crinkle as he took off the jacket at home. He opened it to read.

He pulled the jacket back on and found Deborah. He handed her the letter and said, "I need to go to the telegraph office. Ella's telegraph handle is 'ECW', right?"

At the telegraph office, he thought for a few minutes before writing a 10-word message on the form, "I love you. Staying with Deborah. Samuel burned your letters."

The operator took the message to the key and sent it. Alan wasn't expecting an immediate reply, and turned to leave, but the operator called him back, "Got a reply already," and handed him a flimsy reading, "ECW unavailable. Left fort with army this morning."
Elegant Ella

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #754 on: October 25, 2008, 11:37:42 AM »
 “I love you.” Scarlet whispered softly as she kissed Fritz’s cheek. 

She stepped away from him, over to the bedpost where her gun belt and buckled it on then headed for the doorway. Reaching the flap she pulled it open. It was still dark outside. Darkest before the dawn she thought to herself. The right time to be up and moving if one didn’t want to be noticed.

She chill hovered about her for a moment. Scarlet stiffened her back. It was only a split second before she relaxed again as she ran her fingers over the butt of the Dragoon. Fritz noticed her turn and look at him because it was one of the very few times she stopped and looked back.  He could have sworn she said “you belong here” as she smiled at him, but the words were soft and barley spoken. Maybe he only imagined she said something, the smile and the sparkle in her eyes he knew for sure were meant for him.

The tent flap dropped behind her but the cool air and the presence of something, or maybe it was somebody, remained.

At the scout’s camp Cyrus was impressed to see Scarlet coming so early. She looked strangely happy for a person getting ready to ride into what he was sure was going to be hell.

“I figured we wouldn’t see you until the last possible moment.” He said teasingly.

“Why’s that?” She replied eyeing him suspiciously.

“Figured you’d be spending all the time you could with your husband.” He said with a slight blush.

“Yeah, why’s that?” Bo said stepping up next to her.

“Ah hell.” Cyrus responded. “Let’s get moving, gonna be a long day.”

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #755 on: October 30, 2008, 03:08:05 PM »
Chris and Samuel helped Ella get her supplies packed onto Joker. During the past week, she had compared her list of supplies with the list the army was planning to take. Most of what she had was redundant. She could have contributed it to the army supplies, or left it here.

But, only Major Martin and Captain Henderson were trusted by her to treat the scouts fairly. She still suspected that most of the medical staff would treat officers first, soldiers next, and leave scouts, especially the Indians and half-breeds, for last.
Elegant Ella

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #756 on: November 07, 2008, 02:50:49 PM »
The sun was not yet full up, yet the swollen camp was a maelstrom of activity.  The tents were being struck with rapid, practiced ease.  Columns of soldiers marched past wooden crates, depositing their meager personal effects inside.  Those that could write had penned their names to the wrappings, so that their effects could be returned to their next-of-kin.  The men of I Company, 2nd U.S. Cavalry stood silently by.  They had gone through this ritual so many times that they had no personal effects left.  Fritz had been careful to pack only what he needed; primarily, weapons and ammunition.  Marching orders had been given: one hundred rounds of carbine, and twenty-five rounds of pistol ammunition. Fritz carried at least that, and probably more for his pistols.  Rations enough for man and horse for four days ride, plus a greatcoat or blanket per man.  The worst word was, only one horse. 

Fritz walked over to the corral and whistled.  Two sets of ears perked up. 

“Strider…Buddy…come on!”

The horses trotted over to the fence.  Strider bumped his head against Fritz’ vest.  He knew where the sugar cubes would be.  Fritz patted his head.

“You got one more fight in ya?” he asked, holding a cube under the buckskin’s nose.  He nodded, and sucked up the treat with his tongue.

“Me too.”

Fritz could almost feel Buddy’s eyes on him.  Was it possible for a horse to be sad?

“I know how you feel boy,” Fritz replied, rubbing the spot between Buddy’s eyes.  “But I need all the experience I can muster now…to get home.”

He led Strider back to his tent to saddle up.

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #757 on: November 08, 2008, 12:52:24 PM »
“Through hell and back.”

Scarlet turned at the sound of Bo’s voice and tilted her head slightly to the side as she questioned. “What do you mean?”

“I heard one horse, ‘cept for medical. Most of the scouts don’t have a choice, they only have one.”  A smile slowly parted his lips. “I knew there would be no question for you. Sometimes I think yer hearts beat as one.” Bo replied looking at Scarlet and Lucky as he stepped up to Dancer’s stall, petting the horse’s neck.

Scarlet slightly smiled. “So I’ve been told before.” She said watching Bo closely.  “You always worry ‘bout me Bo.”

“It’s one of my jobs.” He grinned this time.

Scarlet chuckled still noticing Bo was looking Dancer over, trying not to be obvious about it. He patted Dancer one last time and went to saddle his own horse.

Scarlet quietly picked up Dancer’s bridle and walked over to Bo. He turned when she put her hand on his shoulder then looked down at the bridle Scarlet pressed into his hand. She could tell by the look on his face he was touched at the suggestion.

“No, Thunder is my horse.” He replied.

She knew he rarely rode the Dancer in front of her because he was afraid it would sadden her with memories of her first husband. He’d heard comments from people who knew his brother about how he looked like him, and then when he rode his brother’s horse he’d seen the double takes.  Even Cyrus had made a comment about how it made the hair stand up on the back of his neck.

Scarlet kept her hand in his. “Thunder is a good mount. He’s carried you through a lot Bo, but he’s not a fast horse.” Scarlet stood on her tippy toes and whispered  “ain’t Yankee ponies ya got to out run this time.” as she pressed the bridle harder into his palm.

Bo laughed out loud and looked tenderly at her. “I’m not used to ridin’ him much.” Nodding his head toward Dancer.

Scarlet turned and walked over to Dancer. She appeared to be having a conference with the horse and by the way he bobbed his head Dancer with her. They both looked at Bo. “He says yer lyin’.” She stated flatly.

Bo didn’t know what to say, or how she knew. Certainly Dancer really couldn’t tell her.

“Bo, I came to term with some of my ghosts sometime back.  I’ve got you, Fritz, Patches and Ella to thank for a lot of it. I’ve got Lucky to watch after me, someone to watch after Fritz and you would be honoring the memory of a soldier to take his horse into battle again, it was what he was raised for.

As if on cue Dancer raised up on his back legs. Scarlet glanced at him as the sound of his hooves hitting the ground echoed through the stables when he came back down.

“He says he will not lose another rider. He will look out for you as he did for Patches, what happened to Travis was no fault of his or of yours.”  Then Scarlet grinned mischievously. “He says he outran the Apache carrying you as he will outrun the Sioux or any other you ask this time.”

Bo looked surprised that she knew about the incident. “Jimmy swore to never tell you.”

“Jimmy kept his secret.”

“Johnny?”

Scarlet grinned she enjoyed the game of “how does she know”. “Daddy never said a word. As far as they are concerned how much you’ve really ridden Dancer I will never know. But I do.” She said with a shrug of her shoulder.

Bo thought about it, it had been him, Johnny and Jimmy on that ride. She was right Thunder didn’t have a snowball’s chance in hell outrunning them Indian ponies, maybe carrying Scarlet, but not him. He had opted to take Dancer, who had been left in Jimmy’s care. The only other person that knew had fallen to the Apache.

“Ya give me the willies when you do that kind of stuff.” He said as he walked back to Dancer’s stall, somewhat thankful she really did know and seemed to be alright with it.     

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #758 on: November 22, 2008, 07:27:08 AM »
29 May 1876, Wyoming Territory

I have taken up pencil and paper to make an account of the expedition we are about to undertake.  Perhaps it will provide the basis of a book, if ever anyone wants to know what the life of a cavalry soldier was like.  And on the off chance that I do not survive this mission, this document shall serve as a last will and testament.  As to whether I am of sound mind to undertake this mission is a matter for later discussion.

We were up before the dawn, breaking camp and dropping tents.  The men of the Second displayed themselves with the same stoic character I recall.  Dave, Scott and Johann are exactly as I remember them, albeit a bit greyer.  Major Schurmann rides in the vanguard with General Crook, but I’m sure he’d rather be here with us.  My promotion to Captain is a much a shock to me as was the promotion to Lieutenant.  I lead these men and I trust God will help me to do so honorably.   

Although we broke camp early, we didn’t start the march until noon.  It was hot and dusty, and the moving column churned up the dirt until it covered us all.  We are 900 strong, including the wagon train.  General Crook is concerned that we have no Indian scouts.  “It takes an Indian to catch an Indian,” I’ve often heard him say.  Scouts from the Crow nation were supposed to join us at Fetterman, but to date, none have arrived.  The civilian scouts man the lead and flanks of the column.  My wife Scarlet is among them, and I am concerned.  I have no doubt that she can handle herself, and for the most part, she rides in good company.  But I fear there are far more Indians off the reservations than initially reported.  Conditions on the reservations are pitiable, and the civilian agencies assigned to care for the Indians are rife with graft.  If I and my family were starving, and game was plentiful, I would probably do the same thing. 

One of the men in the column mentioned that we are following the Bozeman trail, the exact route that the winter column took.  We look like a thin blue line, snaking our way across the prairie…far too thin, in my humble opinion.  I wear Scarlet’s bandana over my nose and mouth to keep the dust from choking me.  I must look like an outlaw, but my men are doing the same.  I hope the weather holds…         

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #759 on: November 22, 2008, 10:40:12 AM »
Ella watched the scouts and part of the Army on the trail below the fort. Scarlet and Bo were easy for her to pick out. Fritz should have been harder, dressed the same as hundreds of men surrounding him, but he rode beside the guidon-bearer for his company.  There was plenty of time for her to watch before she needed to be in her place. The medical team rode with the ambulances that were part of the wagon train.

She and Bo had eaten dinner with the telegraph operator the night before, and she had chatted with Patches over the wire, after delivering messages to Rose and Johnny from Scarlet. Marshall Ross had gotten back to El Paso on schedule. She had left a letter with Stanley, for him to send out with the next wagon. Writing to Alan was a habit, even if it seemed to be a waste of time.
Elegant Ella

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com