Author Topic: The Last Patrol  (Read 302650 times)

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: The Last Patrol
« Reply #120 on: January 13, 2007, 08:33:45 PM »
Over the next few days it was not hard to figure out who was going to be easy to ride with and who was going to be trying on the nerves for any of the group. Cyrus did manage to keep everyone in line that rode with him and tried to keep a compatible group.

Scarlet and Ella managed to ignore for the most part the comments about what women were good for. The first night out a couple of the men did some hunting, bringing the rabbits back to camp they handed them to Ella and Scarlet and said “clean ‘em an’ cook ‘em, like a woman supposed ta.”  Both women fumed but said nothing, actions after all spoke louder than words.

The last day on the trail Ella and Scarlet were seldom seen, they had ridden ahead. Cyrus had told them where camp would be then asked Bo and Tensleep what the women were up to but they didn’t know.

As the camp was being set up Ella and Scarlet rode in, straight to the men that had hunted the first night. Scarlet held the rabbits and raccoon to one of them men. “Is your turn to be useful.” She said flatly then moved her horse off.

Ella held the fish out to one of the others. “You too.” She said following after Scarlet.

The two women watched as the men cleaned and cooked, not really knowing what to say.
When supper was served it was not as tasty as what Ella and Scarlet had cooked but it was enjoyable. One man did manage an apology, the girls figured the other might choke if he tried to apologize.
"The Scarlet Angel, heaven and hell all rolled into one.... I’d hate to be the one on the hell side.” ~Patches McDuff

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." John Wayne

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."  Mark Twain

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #121 on: January 13, 2007, 09:44:14 PM »
Fritz cleaned the bird by the fire.  He was thinking of his mother, strangely enough.  Mom never objected to his hunting.  In fact, she gave him his first squirrel gun.  Mom said that as long as you used what you killed, it was okay.  NEVER kill for sport.

As the bird roasted over the fire, he ran a patch down the bore of his Sharps.  He wondered what Scarlet was doing now.  Had she used her new rifle?  He almost wished he'd bought a second one.  But he wouldn't until they came out with one that could handle the government cartridge.  He turned the action over.  Their initials glowed, intertwining.  They were separate, but one.

"Love ya Darlin," he said.

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #122 on: January 14, 2007, 11:13:47 PM »
After supper the group sat around the camp. The man that refused to apologize to Ella and Scarlet tipped his bottle up, looking at the two women as he did so.

“I don’t know how you two managed shooting food. I still say the only place a woman belongs is on her bac..”

Before he finished his sentence he was jerked to his feet. Bo had stood and in one effortless motion crossed the distance between them, grabbed the man by chest, causing the ones sitting next to him to scatter.

Cyrus knew Chris had been asking for it since the group arrived, making comments here and there about all of ‘em. Cyrus wasn’t sure what to do. He knew Bo, Bo had a high tolerance for most things but Cyrus had seen some cross the line and Chris was not worth stepping in front of Bo for.

One moment Chris was running his mouth the next minute there was tightness across his chest and he was lifted from the log he’d been sitting on. He felt the bottle being pulled from his hand then a sharp pain along his back caused him to gasp for air.

Chris realized his feet were dangling as he looked eye to eye with the bigger man.

“If I have ta’ listen to ya’ run yer mouth anymore I’m gonna cut yer tongue out.” Bo said coldly.

Normally Chris would have had some smart retort but the cold look through the narrowed eyes told him the man was prepared to do it, here and now if necessary.

Bo’s hold tightened on the man. “Do you understand?” He growled.

“Yes sir.” Chris replied.

Bo leaned close and whispered something causing Chris’s eyes to widen, even in the dim light one could see the color leave his face before Bo backed up and dropped Chris in a pile on the ground.

Bo turned and went back to where he’d been sitting next to Scarlet.

Cyrus watched but said nothing. The fact that he didn’t say anything to the other man told the men that knew him he would not defend Chris from the man, most of them figured Chris deserved what he got anyhow.
"The Scarlet Angel, heaven and hell all rolled into one.... I’d hate to be the one on the hell side.” ~Patches McDuff

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."  Mark Twain

Advertising

« Reply #123 on: Today at 10:52:13 AM »

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #123 on: January 14, 2007, 11:54:14 PM »
"Thank you for not damaging him, Bo," whispered Ella as she passed behind him on her way to her bedroll.  "I really didn't want to have to patch him up."
Elegant Ella

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #124 on: January 15, 2007, 07:14:34 PM »
Scarlet had always enjoyed the sunrise, she had never seen any two exactly the same, they came close but never the same. Even when she’d prayed she’d never see another one she always admired their beauty, some how in the last couple of years they’d become more beautiful.

As she packed her gear on her horse she noticed she was not the only one admiring the view, except Ella was not looking towards the sunrise. Ella too was packing her gear on the horses, but she would stop and watch something, a smile would play across her lips then she would go about her business.

Scarlet walked over to where Ella had stopped again, that smile barely playing on her lips. The kind of smile that would go unnoticed unless you had done it yourself or knew someone very well. It was the same hint of a smile Becca got when she watched Tensleep, the same smile Scarlet got when she watched Fritz and didn’t even realize they were smiling.

Scarlet suppressed a grin as she looked at the same scene Ella was admiring. He was bent over holding the horses hoof between his knees and working the shoe with his hands. His shirt stretched tight over the muscles in his arms and back leaving little to the imagination. Scarlet always thought Ella had good taste in men, and thought about saying something about how handsome the man was. She wondered if Ella would deny the fact she was looking at the man the way she was looking at him, after all neither one of the women was blind.

“Beautiful morning, view is something else from here.” Scarlet said raising her eyebrows while she still managed to suppress the grin while looking at the man Ella had been admiring.

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #125 on: January 15, 2007, 11:09:37 PM »
Ella blushed and replied, "That is certainly true.  The sunrise is glorious, and the other scenary is pretty good, too.  I think I remember hearing that Travis and Bo looked a lot alike." 
Elegant Ella

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #126 on: January 16, 2007, 02:25:55 PM »
Scarlet let the grin play on her lips while she watched a moment longer, the statment Ella made bringing back some fond memories.

"Bo is slightly taller. Travis always wore a mustache, while Bo went clean shaven until the fire. He has a few scares, thats why he wears the beard now. Travis had darker blue eyes if that is possible. From the back their own mother couldn't tell 'em apart unless they were standing next to one another."

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #127 on: January 16, 2007, 03:00:35 PM »
"I like beards on men," commented Ella dreamily.  "It took me ages to get Alan to try growing a beard.  He was sure it would come in sparse and look bad.  But then he had surgery on his face and couldn't shave one cheek for a few weeks.  So he didn't shave at all until everything was healed up.  He expected that the scar would cause a bald patch that would be more conspicuous than the scar itself.  All of his negatives failed to show up.  His beard is curly and hids the scar very effectively.  He does like not having to shave except to keep the edges of the beard tidy.  We visited his parents after the beard was fully-grown.  He predicted his mother would say 'Oh, my goodness!', and she did.  He could not predict what his father was going to say, which turned out to be 'I expected my son, but instead I see Esau'."

Ella turned to Scarlet, "How are Bo and Travis different?  There must be something significant to make you react differently to the two of them."
Elegant Ella

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #128 on: January 16, 2007, 10:56:36 PM »
Scarlet smiled thoughtfully. “I love Bo. He’s my best friend, has been since I can remember. Before his daddy built the C-C we used to go and visit them. When they moved to Texas Bo and I were nearly inseparable. Travis was his older brother and I was Bo’s little girlfriend, at the time that was all there was between us. Bo and I grew up together and we were close, everything I was told made for the perfect couple. Our first kiss was nice, but just nice ya know?  We both thought we were to close to have that spark at the time.”

Ella shook her head in understanding. “But there must have been something else.”

“Bo was always a more reserved than Travis. Travis was more devilish, maybe more of a passion for life. His eyes would light up and almost change color then a smile would creep across his lips when he was thinking about something that intrigued him.” Scarlet paused, her smile broadening “Fritz smiles like that. And the first kiss definitely left you wanting another.”

Ella could have taken her choice if Scarlet was talking about Travis or Fritz.

Scarlet looked from Ella back to Bo. “He’s changed some over the years, we all have I suppose. He laughs more now, not as serious as he once was.”

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #129 on: January 16, 2007, 11:31:03 PM »
"It looks like time to hit the trail," said Ella, pointing to where Cyrus had been making the men get themselves loaded up.  She grinned at Scarlet, "Would it shock people too badly if I responded to Chris's refrain about a woman's place being on her back by saying his imagination and education are both deficient if he doesn't know any other positions?"
Elegant Ella

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #130 on: January 17, 2007, 08:17:18 AM »
Scarlet burst out in a soft laugh then straightned up and looked serious. "I believe if you said that Ella it would leave him speachless and at the same time amuse the others who by talking with some of them don't really care if Chris rides with them or not and the rest would prefer the not."

Scarlet grinned then headed to her horses still chuckling at Ella's comment.

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #131 on: January 18, 2007, 03:38:21 PM »
The ride to Ft. Fetterman was uneventful, made up of small talk from the group getting to know one another. Teddy was not much of a small talker but he enjoyed hearing about Ella’s talents as a healer and who Scarlet had learned her talents as a tracker from.

Billy liked listening to the conversation and staying quiet. It seemed to him every time he tried to say anything to Scarlet he became tongue tied. He hadn’t worked up the nerve to ask the relationship to the man who shared her last name, maybe he would ask Teddy later.

Once at the fort the group saw to their horses while Cyrus, Tensleep and Bo went to check in with the C.O.

The three men had no sooner disappeared when Chris started running his mouth to one of the men that had arrived at the fort the week before. This time he thought he would be smart and converse with the man in Crow.

Most of the men that had ridden in with Cyrus understood what he was saying, which didn’t bother him any, he didn’t figure the women could understand it. Scarlet kept her mouth shut and just listened as Chris talked about most of the people in the party. Teddy glanced her way wondering which of the languages of the red man Scarlet did understand. She just shook her head and rolled her eyes. He shook his head, wondering at what point was the man gonna get belted one.

Some of the men ignored Chris’s mouth while the one he was talking to laughed. The man that had apologized to Ella and Scarlet earlier turned slightly red at one of the comments and wondered off deciding he would be better off not being around Chris, once Cyrus got word of what was going on all hell was gonna break lose for sure.

Chris’s comments became increasingly degrading towards Scarlet and Ella. Teddy was about to speak up and tell Chris to shut his mouth. When he heard Scarlet make a remark.

Scarlet had enough. The man was rude and had reached intolerable. She had said it to Ella and spoke Comanche. Ella had responded in the same language.

Chris’ head snapped around. “What did you say.” He said coming towards them.

“Oh you can dish out rude remarks you just can’t take them is that it?” Scarlet spat, her temper had gotten the best of her.

“Did you say what I think you said?”

“Oh don’t understand what I was saying, how convenient if I want to insult you.”

The rest of the men stood in a circle expecting an entertaining exchange of words between the two. Nobody expected Chris to try to backhand her and fewer expected to see her block it and punch him below the sternum.
Chris bent over slightly winded, a little surprised and very angry he charged Scarlet lifting her off of her feet he slammed her into the top railing of one of the corals causing it to break and them both to fall through. It was hard to tell who was who or how to separate them. She fought like a man except when she kneed him in the groin to get the upper hand.

“Get Bo.” Teddy said to Billy.

Bo, Cyrus and Tensleep were about half way to the group when they heard the fight, saw Billy running towards them and Teddy going over the fence.

“Who the..?” Cyrus said aloud thinking Teddy never got into fist fights any more.

“It’s Scarlet.” Billy yelled to the men.

Teddy was looking for a good place to take hold of, Ella right behind him figuring she could talk some sense into Scarlet if they got Chris off of her.

Bo, Cyrus and Tensleep reached the fence in time to see Scarlet roll to the top, her thumb dug in on one side of his windpipe and her fingers on the other. Chris was gasping but not giving up. He tried tugging at her hand only to make her nails dig into her throat and draw blood. He took a swing but she leaned back and he missed. “Yer a dead whore” he managed to choke out. Scarlet drew her knife.

Cyrus came over the fence yelling “Stand down Corbin!”

She thought about gutting him right there, he deserved it and she figured she had every right. Hearing him yell at her Scarlet sunk the knife in Chris’ inner thigh. The man screamed and twisted his upper body he now had both hands on her wrist trying to keep her weight off of his throat.

Scarlet had her weight evenly distributed between the her hand at his throat and her hand on the knife, which was neatly stuck through his pants, and just enough skin to cause him a great deal of pain then solidly into the ground.

She heard Bo yell “Don’t” but wasn’t sure if it was meant for her or Cyrus who was getting ready to make an attempt to get the two of them apart.

Chris’ eyes watered as she glared at him. “One good reason Kane, give me one why I shouldn’t draw and quarter the foul beast.” She growled never taking her eyes off the man she sat atop of.

Cyrus didn’t know what to say. He didn’t know what happened; he could only guess Chris had started it. He looked at Bo who shrugged his shoulders.

“Because it’s gonna be worse for him living with knowing he was beat up by a woman. Let him up Scarlet. I’m already going to have to touch him to care for his wounds, and in places I really don’t want to thank you very much for that.” Ella said.

If Scarlet hadn’t been so mad she would have laughed. She pulled the knife straight up, thinking after the fact now Ella was really going to have to disinfect the wound since the blade had been sunk into the dirt as well. She stepped off of him before completely letting go of the hold on his throat.

“You alright?” Bo asked looking at the bruise on her cheek, and the cut on her lip, which was starting to swell.

“I’ll be ok.” She said wiping the blood with the back of her sleeve.   

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #132 on: January 18, 2007, 04:47:25 PM »
"I am not tending him without other men holding him down.  First thing is to carry him to the infirmary," stated Ella flatly, looking at Cyrus.  Teddy stepped forward to volunteer, followed a heartbeat later by two of the other men who had ridden in with the group and the one Chris had been talking to.  The four picked him up, and carried him to one of the smaller buildings, with blood dripping all the way.  Ella mentally checked her pockets, picked up her saddlebags and decided she didn't need anything off the pack saddle. 

The infirmary really needed a good cleaning, thought Ella when she stepped inside.  The bearers dropped Chris onto an operating table.  The fight was going out of him due to pain, since he hadn't lost much blood.  Ella pulled out scissors to cut his trousers and long underwear away from the wound.  A large flap of skin was hanging by one edge, and dirt from the ground underneath was smeared across the flesh underneath.  "She made a good start at skinning you alive," said Ella.  "It is going to hurt a lot when I clean the wound.  Are you as brave as a 14-year-old Comanche boy or do you need to be chloroformed?"
Elegant Ella

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #133 on: January 18, 2007, 06:14:46 PM »
“Don’t waste yer chloroform on ‘im ma’am. What if one of us who appreciates the fact you chose to come along as our medic needs it later?” One of the men said.

“I got a good hold…just give him a stick to bite on.” One of the others said.

Teddy looked at the flap of skin. “I heard she’s skinned a man ‘er two in her day. Your lucky Ella was there to stop her Chris.”

Chris shot him what was left of a wicked look.

“Maybe she was going to just tear his throat out.” Another said looking at the wounds in his neck.

Teddy half smiled. “Just start scrubbing Miss Ella.” He said “He should be thankful you’re not starting with his mouth. Hold ‘im tight boys.”

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #134 on: January 18, 2007, 06:54:43 PM »
Ella found a sturdy stick in one of the cabinets.  Tooth marks suggested that it had been used for this purpose several times before.  She handed it to the one who had suggested giving him a stick to bite on, and let him put it in Chris's mouth while she pulled out cleaning supplies. 

The fort's medic came in while Ella was working, accompanied by the odor of cheap whiskey.  He leaned against the wall watching. 

Ella chatted while she worked about her summer with the Comanche tribe. 

Chris flinched at the touch of soap and water on the raw flesh.  Once the visible dirt was gone, Ella poured disinfectant over the wound.  The bite of the alcohol was too harsh, and Chris fainted.  Ella blotted the cleansed wound with linen taken out of a waxed linen packet.  The bleeding was nearly stopped, so she kept pressure on the wound for a couple minutes more.   

"The Crow and Comanche languages are not similar enough for me to understand any Crow, although I expect to learn some while I'm here.  Scarlet will help me with that."   

The last step to treating Chris was to sprinkle the wound with herbs before smoothing the loose flap of skin over and bandaging it. 

"Time to dump him in a bed.  He's not going to be happy about walking for several days."  Ella looked at the medic, "The bandage needs to be kept clean and dry, and changed daily." 

The man nodded.  Ella doubted whether he would remember that instruction when he sobered up, and decided she was going have to check on Chris herself.

Elegant Ella

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #135 on: January 18, 2007, 10:46:53 PM »
Cyrus moved over to Bo and Scarlet. “What happened?” he asked her.

“He apparently doesn’t have the tolerance towards insults that I do. After listening to his mouth, that even seemed to embarrass the men around him I insulted him and he came after me.” She replied.

“What did he say?”

Scarlet shot him a look that said “I can’t believe you’re asking me to repeat it.”

“How about what did you say to him?”

“I asked Ella how could a family who had men with such small equipment reproduce.” Scarlet said flatly.

Bo turned his head trying to hide his amusement, cleared his throat and asked. “What she say?”

“She said if they were like him, being deficient in both education and imagination when it came to women she was not sure.” Scarlet replied as a matter of factly.

“You don’t make it a habit tryin’ to cut up men do you?” Cyrus asked.

Scarlet turned and faced him. “If anybody tries high handed me like that again I’m gonna split ‘im wide open, and you’d be wise to stay out of it.”

“Why didn’t you just shoot him?” Cyrus asked.

“It probably would have gone through his tiny brain and hit someone I didn’t want it to. Are we done now? I’d like to clean up.”

Cyrus stepped out of her way.

By the time Ella was done with Chris half the fort was talking about what had happened and waiting to hear if Chris tried to fight the woman doctor.

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #136 on: January 19, 2007, 03:53:07 PM »
Chris woke up while Ella was bandaging the wound, and spit out the stick.  He started to open his mouth and Teddy said warningly, "You say anything rude to her, we drop you head first as many times as it takes to shut your mouth."  Chris closed his mouth. 

The men who had Chris's legs pulled his boots off before the group carried him towards a bed.  The drunk roused himself enough to protest, "You Injuns, take that Injun somewhere else.  I don't treat Injuns and I won't have one staying in my infirmary." 

Ella smiled.  She had had to bottle up a lot of strong emotion in order to comply with her healer's oath, and here was someone offering to be a target. 
Elegant Ella

Offline Tensleep

• Damned Ol' Ranger
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dealer in Bullets and Gun Butter
  • Liked:
« Reply #137 on: January 19, 2007, 04:08:23 PM »
"Cyrus once you have been around these women for a while yer gonna find that don't much phase 'em."

Tensleep paused for a moment. "I've watched Ella an' Scarlet for ah good while now... Ella will shoot any man that needs it an' then patch 'em up. Scarlet is as good with ah pistol, rifle er knife as any man you have ever seen but, she also has tha temper ta match any o' yer scouts or troopers. She is a lady and she will act like a lady until some man starts to act stupid. Hopefully now all these men will have learned to treat my deputies with the respect they deserve. If not either Scarlet or Ella can arrest 'em an' we will lock 'em up. I back my deputies one hundred percent whether we are on tha trail of outlaws or scoutin' for the Army."

Tensleep turned and walked after Scarlet.
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
America's 1st Grey Sash Cowboy, GSC 006
SASS 5756 Life, Regulator
Dooley Gang, Virginia Chapter
Just a poor dumb cowboy, tryin' to do my best.
"If I could roll back tha years, back when I was young and limber..."

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #138 on: January 19, 2007, 05:37:04 PM »
"Your ridiculous little opinion has been noted.  You obviously are so narrow-minded that you can see through a keyhole with both eyes," barked Ella.  "Are you actually qualified to practice medicine, or are you just squatting in the infirmary because it's a safe, soft job with a bonus of medicinal alcohol?  Based on the cleanliness in this building, you set low personal standards and then fail to achieve them.  As long as no one in authority here at the fort who knows what a properly-run infirmary should look like ever comes in to inspect, you can get away with being a slovenly drunkard."

The medic started to say something, but Ella didn't give him a chance to speak, "These men are members of the Army, with a dangerous job to do that requires knowledge and courage beyond your imagination.  This man will stay in your infirmary until I say he is fit to move elsewhere.  Since I have no reason to believe that you know anything about medicine, I will not be expecting you to care for him.  I try to think the best of everybody, but in your case I'll make an exception. A curse on you, and may the curse be that you remain what you have made yourself."

Ella turned away and gestured to the men to continue carrying Chris to one of the beds. 
Elegant Ella

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #139 on: January 19, 2007, 07:32:21 PM »
"upity meddling woman." The medic grumbled.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com