Author Topic: Remington Creedmoor  (Read 14532 times)

Offline GTauscher

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Remington Creedmoor
« on: November 01, 2006, 07:32:27 AM »
I'm new here and was told this might be the place for me?  I recently acquired a Remington Creedmoor from my father, a retired gunsmith.  I'm having a display case made for this rifle and looking for as much information as I can find about the gun.  I'd like to have a brass plate engraved and displayed with the gun.

Some numbers I've been able to figure out.  Serial Number:  5288
                                                               Caliber:  44 x 2 1/4  (not sure what this translates to)
                                                               Stock Tangs:  84794
                                                               Number stamped near the chamber: 4
                                                               E Remington & Sons Iliion, N.Y.

Some things I'd like to find out about the gun:

Just what is the caliber, I've been told it might be 44-70?

When was the gun made?  I was told it was 1872?

I would like to place the gun on tempory display where ever it might be wanted.  I've had some requests for gun shows and a local museum.  Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance
Gregg Tauscher

Offline GTauscher

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Remington Creedmoor
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 07:34:30 AM »
Oh, by the way, I have pictures of the gun, but don't know how to post them here.  If anyone would like to see pictures, let me know.

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 09:17:48 AM »
44 2 1/4 = the infamous 44-77 bottleneck.  ;D I shoot this cartridge in a Sharps. It was THE most popular chambering in the Sharps 1874 Model. Historians are unsure if it was invented by either Remington or Sharps but Sharps was chambering the round as early as 1869. It is not a cartridge for a blackpowder novice as it requires a lot of work to get a great load. I would not shoot this gun if it is in any kind of decent condition as its collector value is rather high (read money). I have the e-mail address for Roy Marcot, the official Remington historian, who could try to give you some help on dating it, but alas, Remington records are hodge podge for that era.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:20:21 AM »

Offline Waya

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 07:16:45 PM »

Whatever you do, don't write Remington for any information on that old firearm,,, they don't have info on Rolling Blocks at all. I found that out the hard way !!! The Remington Company of today, is NOT the Original Remington Company of yesterday, just to clue you in !!

I have an old Rem. Rolling Block action that I purchased some years ago, ser.#677, and was originally chambered for the .43 Spanish round. I also found out that the rifle, in it's originality, was an early 1st Model and was purchased by the Egyptian's and that the rifle had been diverted with the rest of the Egyptian order to France, and used during the Franco-Prussian War.

Since I only purchased the frame, it's been fairly easy for me to replace the internal parts and build my own, which I intend to chamber in .45-120 BP. BTW,, the frame cost me only $19.00 originally, and is in fairly decent shape.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 07:42:19 PM »

Offline GTauscher

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 06:44:53 AM »
Hey, thanks guys.....   I checked the ammunition site and found the photos of the 44-77 rounds, but alas... none available for sale.  I did see a 44-90 for $70.00!!!  At that price, shooting this gun seems quite out of the question!

Years ago, my Dad did consider making some amunition for this gun, but when he discovered just what it was, decided against doing that.  So I know the gun has not been fired in at least 20 years.  However, this gun seems to be totally in tact with an excellent looking bore & rifling.

I sent a photo to Roy with some early info that I had on it, but haven't heard back from him yet.  I'm hoping he catches the update I've posted here.  I'm still a couple of weeks away from having the display case completed, and still trying to come up with some info for the brass plate. 

Your replys have certainly peeked my interest in finding out as much as I can about this gun.

Thanks Again

Offline GTauscher

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 06:51:27 AM »
O.K.  what's "read money"?  I don't have any interest, right now, in selling the gun; but would be interested in its value.  We have 3 sons, and unbelievably, none seem to have the interest in the gun like I do.  So the day may come when I'll either consider selling or placing this gun in a mueseum.

Online Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 09:21:56 AM »
I've never resurected an obsolescent caliber, yet.  (I'm working on a SAA with a new .41LC cylinder.)  I do believe that NEW .44 77 cases and moulds are available.  You would do much better than using up museum grade ammo, if you could get it to work
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006, 09:30:08 AM »
Try to find a copy of Mike Venturino's book on the single shot Buffalo rifles, there should be some useful loading info for the caliber in there. I know at one point he was working with loads for the 44-77...................Buck 8) ::) ;)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006, 09:47:29 AM »
Sir, Remington Creedmoor rifles are extremely rare and VERY valuable, possibly $10,000 or more in good condition. I would NOT shoot this firearm. Buy some museum grade Renaissance wax to wipe it down with & for God's sake keep it in a dry enviornment away from sunlight. By the way, it seems to have some sort of Swiss style buttplate.  ;)

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2006, 10:05:42 AM »
Don't clean or polish or restore it without some really expert advice.  A careless swipe wih the wrong cleaning device or agent can wipe away hundreds of dollars of value.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Online Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2006, 06:55:07 PM »
Wow!  $10,000!  You could buy a new repro with one years interest on that.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2006, 10:39:53 AM »
GTauscher,
Good to see you posted here. That is a great rifle. If you weren't so far away, I'd drive over to look at it.  :(
You may want to find a copy of "Single-shot Rifles" by James J. Grant. I found a copy via my local library's interlibrary loan.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Waya

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2006, 09:37:25 PM »
Sir, Remington Creedmoor rifles are extremely rare and VERY valuable, possibly $10,000 or more in good condition. I would NOT shoot this firearm. Buy some museum grade Renaissance wax to wipe it down with & for God's sake keep it in a dry enviornment away from sunlight. By the way, it seems to have some sort of Swiss style buttplate.  ;)

I ditto that. You just don't shoot antiques valued at prices like that. But adding a couple of rounds of empty ammo to your display wouldn't hurt any, just to show what the old Creedmore shot !!

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Offline GTauscher

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2006, 07:31:24 AM »
Thanks for all the replys!  I tried to send a email to Roy Marcot but got back an invalid email address?  Anyone got a current email address?  I didn't remember his handle, so I couldn't find it here on the forums.

As for ammo, I'd love to put a couple rounds in the display but ,so far, have not found a source.  I like the idea of using more current 44-77 ammunition rather than mueseum grade, but haven't found a source yet. 

The display case is nearing completion, and I'm getting excited about getting it out on display.  I've already got a request for a gun show in the spring.  If anyone knows of another place that I might take the display, not too far away  :-\, I'd consider a trip.  Anybody know if a trip to the Remington Mueseum, quite a drive for me, would be worth my time?  I understand that they may not have much information from that era.  Just wondered if they might have a Creedmoor on display.

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2006, 04:01:33 PM »
Check your PM.  ;)

Offline GTauscher

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2006, 07:00:34 AM »
Check your PM.  ;)

Did you get a PM reply from me?  I sent the info you requested, at least I hope I did!  I'm not real familiar with how this site works.  If you didn't get a reply, I'll try again.....

Offline rustyrelx

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2009, 12:31:00 PM »
I have a question for you on this rifle if I can ask? What is the length of the barrel? You just might have an early schuetzen and not a creedmore. Look to see if there is a serial number on the inside of the buttplate for origionality. Send all the info to the Remington Society if you want and get this rifle recorded. Either a creedmore or a schuetzen it is a rare rifle.  Don
SFC USA ret-2004
76Y,45B,45K,63H
GAF 716

Offline drcook

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2009, 02:02:17 PM »
You could display it at my house if you want.

The buttstock is probably, key word probably, not original, but could be.

Cabelas has one on sale for a mere $15,000.00

http://www.gunsinternational.com/Remington-Rolling-Block-Creedmore-Long-Range-44-77.cfm?gun_id=100036185

here's another 15,000.00 one

http://www.gunsinternational.com/E-Remington-&-Sons-Rolling-Block-44-cal.cfm?gun_id=100060077

so as you see.............in excess of 10,000.00 is a most valid statement

I do know where there is one that has the upgraded wood, but not the original barrel. it is on sale for 3000.00

I promise I would admire it daily if you wanted to display it here.

Dave

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2009, 02:14:07 PM »
Just why wouldnt one shoot this rifle ? It's used already. So what if its 10,000.oo,,,,merely means you'd be shooting an 'expensive' used gun. I've shot original flinters that were worth 10 times that much.

I never understood guns ,,, or anything,,,that were just to look at. Well, there are pictures I suppose that you can't do much else with.

As far a correct care,,,an idiot could damage it up without firing a shot thur.

MD

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com