Author Topic: Help needed ARMI San MARCO Colt clones.  (Read 19041 times)

Offline fourfingersofdeath

• The Old Loquacious one's loquacious signature:
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dang! Caught shooting a 357!
    • Mick's photobucket!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Help needed ARMI San MARCO Colt clones.
« on: October 29, 2006, 04:39:47 AM »
The gun dealer called it a Dakota Arms 45 Colt at a gunshop I visit, but when I checked it out I saw it was marked Armi San Marco underneath.. It is reasonably priced and apopears in virtually new condition, apart from scratching around the cylinder, which is not the straight line as normally seen, but a bit od erratic sctratching.  Anyone had any experience with these?

I have also located a 44/40 nickel plated one which is virtually new. The dealer who is a friend says he sold the gun with a 50 round box of ammo and it came back with 10 left in the box. He said he took it out the back of his small ranch and pinged rabbits with the remaining 10 , cleaned the gun and put it in the safe at the shop. It has sat there for several years as there is a lot of paperwork and Govt permits required to own a gun larger than 38 cal. I have the proper licenses. I don't mind a few obstacles, I intend to shoot whatever I like and I'm prepared to arm wrestle the govt to do it if I have to.

Has anybody had any experience with these? The sure look well built and nicely finished. I currently load both 44/40s and 45 Colts amongst many other cals.

Mick.
All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

BOLD No: 782
RATS No: 307
STORM No:267

www.boldlawdawgs.com

Offline Marshall Sam Holland

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Help needed ARMI San MARCO Colt clones.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 07:39:45 AM »
I just traded for a 45 Dakota, by ARMI San Marco, I haven't shot it yet, but hope to this weekend...It looks as good as most Uberti's that I have seen...I'll post the shooting results next week..

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 08:45:41 AM »
ASM was a some what smaller artisan Gun manufacturing house than say Uberti or Pedrosoli.
They were imported under and by several well know names names including....
Navy Arms , Cimarron and USFA ( then USPFA) & EMF...
If you get one of these , they are quite nice.

However somewhat questionably, they also catered to lower end importers, Traditions & Sportman Warehouse for example.
Not to say these were bad guns, but fit, finish and sometimes mechanics were less quality. The reason I supose was to keep costs
at a level were these importers could offer low prices and still profit, and guns reflected the lesser attention to detail.
Some of these also found their way to Navy Arms, I've heard.

ASM owner & CEO married into the Uberti family ,he is there now.
ASM sold and became AWA sometime around 2000-01.
when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:26:00 AM »

• Top Active Citizen
    • Mick's photobucket!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 07:39:54 PM »
Thanks for the reply, I was beginning to think I had run into a ghost town or I had a personal freshness problem or something  ;D

The finish on bith gus is excellent, so I suppose they must be the early ones.
Thanks, mick.
All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

www.boldlawdawgs.com

44caliberkid

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 05:57:53 AM »
EMF imported the ASM's that where called Dakota's.  They stopped using ASM several years ago when quality control problems became an issue.  I have seen and heard of many earlier ASM's that where good quality, lot's still in use.

Offline Big John Denny

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 03:57:02 PM »
Over all, the ASM made guns had much softer metal internal parts, which caused fast wear problems. They were well known to have various quality control problems and were marketed under many different names. The early ASM revolvers marketed by AWA were also known to blow out their cylinders.

With the fact they're no longer in business and any warranty issues would be a problem, I would pass on both of them. There are just much better guns out there for SASS use today, and many can be had at very reasonable prices.
Big John Denny, SASS 64775
US Army Retired
Los Vaqueros
BOLD #661
GOFWG #240
SBSS #1780 (Order of the Golden Bullet)
NMLRA
NRA
"Aim small....Miss small"

• Top Active Citizen
    • Mick's photobucket!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 05:28:08 PM »
Thanks, maybe I'd be better throwing a few hundred more at the problem and buying new. The new Rugers are nice, but I shoot a 44WCF 1866 Uberti and standardising on one calibre would be nice. Do the Berettas or Ubertis come in 44WCF? I suppose the Berettas as just better finished Ubertis. Mick.

www.boldlawdawgs.com

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
USPFA or USFA Never Used ASM Parts
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 11:20:37 AM »
Uberti parts were the only ones that USPFA and USFA used before going to 100% USA made.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 12:06:50 PM »
Bob Munden & Kenny Howell  both have use ASM's as bases for guns they have built.

It's true some importers saw the bottom line profit only , and did not demand the attention to fit & finish.
ASM would cater to the entry level importer.

I've seen some very nice ASM Hartfords & Dakota's.
 I had a Cavalry model Hartford in 45 , no problems encountered in several thousand rounds.

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Joe Lafives

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2006, 02:22:33 PM »
The ASM guns from the early to mid 90's were generally pretty decent and were interchangable with parts from a Colt which was not the case with the Uberti guns of the same period.  The Uberti's were more rugged however. 

The ASM Dakota model was a step down cosmetically from the ASM Hartford but otherwise were the same. 
I have two ASM - Hartford models from that period and they have performed well.
I do not shoot them regularly though.  The Rugers are pretty much the best bang for the buck out there.  If,however, you could buy the Dakotas for under $250 you might consider them.
SASS 5481L

"Chewing gum online,  I hope you brought enough for everybody."

• Top Active Citizen
    • Mick's photobucket!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2006, 05:07:11 AM »
They are beautifully finished, especially the blue/cch/shiney charcoal grip frame 45. They are selling for about 55-60% of a new 'New' Ruger Vaquero ( I would have to order  the Rugers from the states and that would mean a good wait). I could probably screw them down a little on the price as there are not many people who can buy the big cals anymore and apparently they have been on their respective inventories for some time. Mick.

www.boldlawdawgs.com

44caliberkid

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2006, 07:33:02 AM »
  I wouldn't be afraid to buy one.  The basic frame, barrel, cylinder should all be sound.  There are plenty of high quality internal  parts that would fit or could be fitted, IF you were to have any problems.  Lots of good 'smiths out there too that can smooth out any problems.  Since it's essentially a used gun (or new old stock) warranty really isn't an issue.  I generally fix any troubles myself since my experiance with warranty work is negative.
   Uberti's come in all the dash calibers, 44-40, 38-40, and 32-20.  Beretta oringinally offered the Stampede in 44-40, then discontinued it, but unsold ones can still be found from time to time.  The New Vaquero only comes in 45 Colt and .357, however, considering past history, I see no reason Rooger might not offer special runs in 44-40 or 44 Special at some time in the future.
   You also might look at the Taurus Goucho.  The catalog lists a 44-40, but I've never seen one in the flesh.

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2006, 07:12:08 PM »
Howdy!

Not disputing B.J. Denny, here.  I have one of the "dreaded" early AWA Longhorns which was made by ASM.  I've only fired it .. let's see - maybe 6-7000 rounds.  No soft parts or internal wear more than normal - no cylinder blow-up or ANY problems, whatsoever.  I shoot ONLY  full power loads; both Black Powder and smokeyless.

I'd buy another in a heartbeat.  Besides, if you DO need replacement parts, (I heard, but don't know fer sure  ;) ) any part for 2nd Gen. Colt will fit.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
Re: USPFA or USFA Never Used ASM Parts
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2006, 11:41:43 PM »
Uberti parts were the only ones that USPFA and USFA used before going to 100% USA made.

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
Re: USPFA or USFA Never Used ASM Parts
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2006, 11:59:11 PM »

I have had friends who had problems with the asm guns . I personally prefer the USFA
pistols and would recomend them  to my friends . They are american made and truly  a quality pistol .                               

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2008, 11:50:20 AM »
Yeah, no comparison as USFA uses the BEST quality steel for making SAAs and won't take any shortcuts like the competition, for example COLT 3rd generations.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com