Author Topic: Stay Alert!  (Read 2218 times)

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Stay Alert!
« on: October 17, 2006, 11:10:57 AM »
Sometimes, you'll find the damndest things when you keep your eyes open - things you'd never expected.

Such was the case when I recently visited an antique show.

Normally - you don't expect to see firearms at these affairs, unless they bear a resemblance to the wall-hanger 'long' guns so beloved by decoraters of years past, so I was pretty surprised to see the butt of a revolver hidden under something much more in keeping with the 'tone' of the place.

I asked to take a closer look and was handed a little Smith & Wesson First Model .38 - a 'Baby Russian'.

Since it's condition was more than acceptable - indicating proper care and maintenance over time - we entered into negotiations and I went home with it.

One of the selling points - beyond it's being perhaps the first 'true' belly gun, with the 3 1/2" barrel - was the inscription on the backstrap of an English retailer - 'F.T. Baker, 88 Fleet Street, London'.

It has tiny British commercial proofs on the barrel and on each cylinder - and it locks up like a bank vault.

Frederick Thomas Baker's business started at the Fleet Street address under the original name of 'Thomas Kinslake Baker' in 1851.

It would remain at that particular location from 1858-1881, changing to 88 Fleet Street & 21 Cockspur Street in 1882-1898, and finally - 88 Fleet Street & 29 Glasshouse Street, from 1898-1900. 

In addition to selling to the general trade - they also supplied the Army and Navy Cooperative Society Ltd., during this time.

That's where the story 'could' get interesting with additional research.

The Army and Navy Co-Operative Society Ltd., was formed by a group of Army and Navy Officers in 1871, with the intention to supply 'articles of domestic consumption and general use to its members at the lowest rates'.

The first store opened on the 15th February 1872 in Victoria Street, London. and supplied shotguns, rifles, pistols, ammunition and related accessories, as well as shirts, watches, saddlery and golfing equipment...

By the end of 1873 a separate gun department had been established.

By the century's end, the Society was issuing an enormous annual illustrated price list, and in 1901 opened branches in Bombay, Delhi, Calcutta and Karachi.

'If' this little revolver was sold through them to a serving Officer - it could've had an amazing career - seeing all of the British Empire at her pinnacle.

Good Hunting!

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com