Author Topic: Making Your Hat Fit Your Head  (Read 53498 times)

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Making Your Hat Fit Your Head
« on: October 05, 2006, 03:05:58 PM »
One thing I have noticed in my job is that hat sizing is not well understood.  We get hat sizes from the circumference of the head divided by Pi.  It is of course rounded to the nearest 1/8th.  But most the time it is just as easy to use a chart.

Circm.          Hat Size

20 1/4........6 3/8
20 5/8........6 1/2
21..............6 5/8
21 1/2........6 3/4
21 3/4........6 7/8
22 1/2........7 1/8
22 3/4........7 1/4
23..............7 3/8
23 1/2........7 1/2
24..............7 5/8
24 3/8........7 3/4
24 7/8........7 7/8
25 1/8........8
25 1/2........8 1/8

To measure the head for size you need a tailors measuring tape.  Reading many explinations of where to measure on websites can be confusing.  Some say 1/8 inch above the ears some say as much as 1/2 and then around to the middle or lower part of the head.  I like to measure to where one is comfortable wearing the hat, mine is best at about an 1/8th above the ears, but some are better at a 1/2.  What you need to do is figure where you like to wear your hat and measure to there.

If you are in between sizes like many, folks are you will have to decide on if you want to pad a larger size or stretch a smaller size.  Both have their advantages and dis advantages, but more on that in the next post.  Of course another option is a custom hat and having it built to the size and the shape of your head. 
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Making Your Hat Fit Your Head
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 12:29:33 PM »
Ok now you have measured you head and determined what size hat you need, so you've picked on out and it is the right size, but it don't feel right, what next?  First it might not be a bad idea to run the tape around the inside of the hat to make sure it is the size it is marked.  I have seen a few mis-marked.  If it measures right then the opening of the hat does not fir the shape of your head,  not uncommon.  What you want to do now is find out where it is tight and where it is loose.  Most often it is tight at the front and loose at the sides.  This means your head it a long oval, very common, some makers make hats in Long Oval, Regular Oval and Round Oval.  If the hat is not marked it will most often be a Regular Oval.

The picture at the bottom shows where to check, a person with a head that is longer oval for the hat will be tight at the front where the red arrows are, one that has a round er oval will be loose at the red arrows and tight at the green.

There are to things one can do and this also works for folks with an in-between size head.  You can get the next size bigger and pad it under the sweat band where it is loose.  A foam weather strip or felt weather strip works well for this.

A better way  to do it is to stretch the hat to fit the head, this is simple and I'll have instrutions and pictures in the next post.

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 12:38:57 PM »
The amount one can stretch the opening of a hat will depend on the quality of the hat, a wool felt is best just to reshape the opening longer or wider, but a fur hat can often be stretched at least a size or two bigger so if you find that nice old 100% beaver at a garage sale for $5 and it is a a size or two small, it can be stretched to fit the head with some care.

There are different kinds of hat stretchers, the one in the first picture is the one I use a work, I don't know how old it is, but it at one time had a cord to run a heating element, the cord is cut off and it has cloth insulation on it.

The second one is the kind most folks will own, this one is wood, but most are now plastic, they will do a good job and sell for $20 dollars or so.  So get your tea kettle hot and steaming, they work as well as the electiric ones we use at work or even get a spray bottle of water and go to the next post, we are going to stretch a hat.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:22:58 PM »

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 12:53:15 PM »
One needs to either get the hat hot and damp with steam or to get it good and damp with the spray bottle.  You then apply some pressure to the hat in the direction you want it to go.  Mild pressure will reshape the opening, it will take more to stretch to opening, go slow and let the hat dry before trying it, better to have to stretch it more than to go too much.  The last pictures show both kinds in use.  A hat that has been stretched a lot and is not wore often will benifit from having one of the small home type hat jacks put in place when not in use.

Custom hatters who build off a conformer will also offer in most cases offer a wooden block the right size and shape to store the hat on, these are the same as the form the hat on when building.

I have unlocked this so any questions?
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Silver_Rings

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gunfighter who shoots for fun.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 01:08:17 PM »
Del, thanks for the very informative post.  I enjoy how to post.

SR
Gunfighter, SASS 27466, NRA Life, GOFWG, BOSS, RO 1, RO 2

Offline deucedaddyj

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 01:52:02 PM »
I've got a question for you Del. I've got an old Stetson that I reshaped into a telescopic crown with a flat brim. It fits fine when I'm wearing it, but if I take it off for a few hours it'll be too tight in the front and the back. Is there a way I can keep it from doing that? Should I just get one of those wooden hat stretchers?

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 02:33:16 PM »
I made my stretcher... for next to nothing

I took a piece of clear white pine 2X4 (scrap) ...  And cut two D shaped half moons
size,  Approx, 6 7/8 for my 7 1/8 hat....
at the center of each straight side , I drilled a 3/8" hole in one a 7/16" hole in the other.
I cross pined a 3/8" bolt (head cut off) with 1/8 piece of welding rod (coat hanger will work)
the other end with a nut  and washer is allowed to slip fit in the 7/16 " hole.

some female Velcro tape to pad the rounded edges , fit it in the hat and tighten the nut , voila a streacher and hat last all in one, for pennies  ;D

Works great  ;)
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 02:37:31 PM »
DD, get one or build one and steam it with a tea kettle and tighten it up enough to give it some long oval shape and let it sit overnight.  That should work.  But never leave a hat in a hot car, it does bad things to them.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2006, 09:22:28 AM »
If your head is a real LONG oval you may need to store it on the stretcher thingy to keep it from spring back to round.  Depends on how much you wear it.
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2006, 09:30:51 AM »
Thanks Cammie, I had forgot to meantion that, the quality of the hat will often be the factor in that.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Fairshake

• Shooter of the HOLY BLACK
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 09:03:45 AM »
Thanks for the info Delmonico, You have given me much info on hat buying, wearing, and many other tips. You are one good person to know. Later David
Deadwood Marshal  Border Vigilante SASS 81802                                                                         WARTHOG                                                                   NRA                                                                            BOLD So that His place shall never be with those cold and Timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 05:51:16 PM »
Glad to help any time, you now know where to find me. ;)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2009, 06:34:47 AM »
Del knows his hats!
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2009, 07:09:00 AM »
Del.
I emailed you, but I'll also ask here.
Now that the fir felt hat shaped, I need to find a hat ribbon for the crown.
The hat is shape like the one Del used in his photo's ...A bowler crown.
I'd like med. brown as the hat is some what lighter brown for some contrast.

I've searched the net for Millinery supplies ...with little success.

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2009, 07:21:24 AM »
Sorry, had a computor problem till late last night, early this morning.

With out sending it to a custom hatter, the best bet is just go to a fabric store and see if they have the ribbon you need, then make the knot and sew it on.  Thats what I have done.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2010, 09:02:38 PM »
My Dear Monsieuir Del and Other Chappeu Experts -

I find myself Having acquired several fur felt hats at obscenely cheap prices, which thus gave me free reign to molest  reblock and resize them with no terrible feelings of awfulness.

I have Followed Del's advice in resizing & etc, and have had some small success, but now am up against two small issues.

The first is the amazing aroma. Since I have not yet installed Her Majesty's laundry tub in the garage, I must temporarily avail myself of my Lovely Spousal Unit's precious stainless sink and granite countertop (which I did get installed ) in the kitchen. Unfortunately if I wet down the hats too much I get a smell somewhat like wet dog .... is this supposed to happen?

Secondly the latest 4x fur felt hat I acquired (for only $2.50!) has several holes and small slits. Is there a correct way to repair these?

Lastly, (yes, I cannot count) on this same hat if I use my  hat brush finger nail brush too firmly I start to get fur coming off. I assume this is not good. Any advice?

with thanks in advance
yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2010, 06:54:24 PM »
As for the smell, wet sheep, wet rabbits, wet any animal with hair smells about like a wet dog.

Holes and slits, not much, wear it as a beater, kind of like this one:

Yep a POed cook telling someone where to go, I was set-up I found out.  Don't ask for no capp-chino in my camp. ;D

Get some of those sponges that are made for hat cleaning, thebrush is to stiff, do sandpaper them sometimes.  If yer local Western store don't have the sponges hollor and I'll see about sending you some, but the shipping will cost more than the sponges.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2010, 10:09:00 PM »
Why thank you very much Del, You sir, are a pip

Btw your form looks perfect  for casting a spinner!

yhs
Prof Marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2010, 10:39:37 PM »
They will smell better after they dry,and i still get a little fur felt of mine when i brush em.I guess you could stitch the holes with wax thread and put all kinds od pins or patches on it.I had one like that for years,stuff stuck all over it,the hat finally gave up the ghost.

By the Del,WHERE'S MY CHAIR??? SCOOT OVER AND COVER THAT PAN SO DA NIEGHBORS DON'T SMELL IT,LOOKS TO BE JUST ENOUGH FOR MOO AND YEE :D
Bunch a ole scudders!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com