Author Topic: Beans  (Read 3434 times)

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Beans
« on: October 02, 2006, 04:59:15 PM »
Del can you give me a quick lesson on cooking beans?  I tried to search for it but..... :D
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Beans
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 05:04:06 PM »
Take a bag of beans and sort out the rocks, dirt clods and broken beans.  Rinsie and cover with water, remove any floaters, about twice as much water as beans will be needed.  Soak over night and rinse.  Cover with water and add salt to taste, bring to a boil and let simmer till tender. (2-3 hours)  Some folks put a bit of salertus (baking soda) in the water also.  This is sair to reduce the gasous effect. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Uncle Eph

• Top Active Citizen
  • Never trust anything designed after 1912
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 06:15:18 PM »
Beans are something that I think I know something about, no brag, just fact, :-[.

I doubt that there has been more than a year in my 50 something years that beans have not been on the table at least once a week.

here is the way that I do it: sort them out then soak them over night next morning rinse them and toss them in the pot with a couple of ham hocks,and a chopped up sweet onion (Walla Walla's are the best) and cover with fresh water, grind some fresh pepper in then put them on the stove and heat them up til they are just bubbling, then leave them alone, keep your eye on the pot and add very hot water so you always have a inch over the beans.  When the meat is falling off the bones remove them and get rid of the rind and bones, put the meat back in the pot and cook awhile longer.  Add the salt about a hour before serving, if you put the salt in too soon the beans will be tough.

I use a 100 year old cast iron "bean pot" with either gas or my wood stove. 
WARTHOG, GAF #364, SASS #53354, BOLD #549, SBSS #1483, STORM #5, NRA, CRSO, ASSRA, SDOP, SUV, GOFWG #19, 7-7-79 SNL WINNER

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:23:34 AM »

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 06:39:53 PM »
Sillies!  I can do beans on the stove!  I wanna light a fire and cook them in my dutch oven outside.  Specifics about how long they will have to cook out there and more coals on the bottom that the top and stuff like that is what I need. ;D
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 06:42:38 PM »
Just like on the stove, ya won't even need the ones on the top.  Enough coals to make er boil (start with a good shovelful) and enogh after that to simmer them.  Make sure yer oven is good and seasoned, this is not a good one for the first time or two.  Malee some Bear sign in them or even a good fat pot roast.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 06:45:20 PM »
Del I got the pre-seasoned ones.  Will they work or do I need to do some other stuff in them first.  The weather is gettin' cool down here and it feels about right for outside cookin'.
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 12:19:48 PM »
I'd cook something like a good chuck roast first and then when done clean the oven and wipe it down real good when hot first.  Beans tend to pull the seasoning out.  The worst thing that will happen it the beans will be high in iron.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com