Author Topic: Day Off Gun Fun  (Read 4555 times)

44caliberkid

Day Off Gun Fun
« on: September 24, 2006, 10:26:59 AM »
    This is just an interesting story.   
     I have been known to buy any old Winchester 1897 shotgun that comes up at farm/estate auctions, and goes for a cheap enough price that I can clean/ fix them up and resell them.   Or keep it if I find an interesting one.
    I recently had a free day and remembered an M97 that we bought a couple years ago, gathering dust in my attic stairwell.   I picked it up, the action functioned stiffly and it looked like crap, but nothing that didn't seem fixable.
    The first thing I did was take off the butt plate to remove the stock.   Looking into the bolt hole I saw old, yellowed, paperwork, rolled up and stuck in the hole.   Now there's nothing more potentially thrilling to an antique gun nut than finding paperwork/ documentation in an old gun.   My mind raced as I removed the rolled up treasure, could this be documentation linking the ownership of this gun to some famous character, that would make this piece much more valuable.
    Well, it was two old hunting/ fishing licenses, one from the 1926-27 season and another from the 1929-30 season.   The cost of the license was $1.00 !  Our 1897 owner was 22 years old, 5' 6" tall and 155 lbs.  I am 6' 2" and find stock 1897's to be pretty long in pull and reach to the forearm, so it must have been quite a handful for this little guy.
    It was certainly well used and apparently rarely, if ever, cleaned.  As I disassembled it, every part, recess, crevice, and slot was caked with a rock hard concoction of dirt and oil.
I soaked parts, scrubbed them with stainless steel and brass bristled brushes and in some areas had to scrape away the crud with a screwdriver tip.   I'd say the previous owner(s) never had it apart, just dumped in more oil as she got stiffer.
    Externally, the receiver and magazine tube were coated with an oil product that had turned into a yellow varnish.   Thank God for stainless steel sponge (sold by Brownel's and Frontier Gun Shop).   Squirt on some Ballistol, scrub with the sponge, and varnish and rust comes right off, and doesn't touch the original blue or patina.   It is a truly magical product that I've used several times.
    Amazingly, the bore was still shiny,  and powder residue cleaned out with 4 or 5 patches and nitro solvent.
    Other than some wood cleaner and lemon oil, I didn't mess with the stock, which other than lots of scratches was still in good shape, no cracks.
    After reassembly she cycled smooth and great.   I drove two miles out of town to my "test firing" spot and ran 5 shells through it as fast as I could, went bang every time.
It was an interesting and fun way to spend a day off.   To warp an old cliché, the worst day working on an old gun is better than the best day at work.

Offline O.T. Buchannan

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Day Off Gun Fun
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 11:42:12 AM »
44Caliberkid, now THAT is how a day off should be spent!  Thanks for sharing it with us!
"If the grass is greener on the other side, water your OWN lawn."

Offline French Jack

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2006, 07:22:12 PM »
I always heard that even a blind hog gets an acorn once in a while.  Congrats and enjoy turning that sow's ear into a silk purse.
French Jack

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:21:51 PM »

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 02:54:19 AM »
Sounds like a great day and another fine rescue of a great old gun.

Don't you wish all those old guns you've had  (as well as antiques of any sort ) could talk?
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Ottawa Creek Bill

• Vietnam Vet 1966,67 First place, Southeast Asia Rifle Team, "66/67"
  • Top Active Citizen
  • OCB, A Newer, More Gentler NCOWS Member...........
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 10:09:06 AM »
Clint,
You didn't say what state the licenses were issued in, it would be interesting to know if this old gun stayed close to home all these years. Wonder what that one dollar license is equivilant to in todays currency?

Bill
Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

44caliberkid

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 08:22:28 PM »
They were Iowa licenses, issued in a county about 120 miles N.W. of me.

Offline Bristow Kid

• I've got a touch of hangover beuracrate. Don't push me
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Matthew(Matt) Bohach
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2006, 09:19:10 PM »
Pretty cool find .44 Kid
Prayer Posse
SCORRS
NCOWS #2540