Author Topic: Colt Rubber Grips on USFA  (Read 5855 times)

Offline broknprism

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Colt Rubber Grips on USFA
« on: September 07, 2006, 01:59:56 PM »
OK, I hope this question isn't sacrilege, but here goes.  A while back I saw a photo of a Rodeo stripped down to the white.  It looked nice (nicer than matte black at least).  It was even antiqued a little.  This was before the Gunslinger was available, so it was a cool idea at the time.  It had a case-colored hammer, so it must have been a few years back.  Anyway, the guy had put Colt hard rubber grips on it, with the eagles.  I thought that was a fantastic idea.  I like the look of the eagle-style rubber grips, and I like the rampant pony -- if I could afford a Colt, I'd own one, but I have a Rodeo -- in many ways more of a 'Colt' than a Colt, if you know what I mean.

There's a website that sells licensed, after-market Colt hard rubber grips with and without the eagle.  You have to choose between 1st gen, or 2nd/3rd.  Those are the two sizes.  Does anyone know what frame style the USFA follows?  I know that slapping Colt grips on a USFA doesn't make it a Colt, and nobody would be fooled by it -- not trying to fool anyone, I just like the look. 

Has anyone here done this, and can tell me what frame style the Rodeo follows?  Thanks!  -- Rob

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
Re: Colt Rubber Grips on USFA
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 10:55:49 PM »
Yes, Broknprism, it is sacrilege.  ::)
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 12:51:26 AM »
It is an offense to USFA, not to Colt as their product is inferior.  I believe USFAs have 1st generation sized grips...correct me if I am wrong.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:46:47 AM »

Offline Beans

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 05:34:43 AM »
Contact Mantee on the SASS wire. he purchased several pair of Rodeo grips from me about 1 year ago.

Offline broknprism

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 01:14:27 PM »
Thanks for the info -- maybe USFA makes grips with the shield and eagle? 

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 02:01:42 PM »
I know they did a few years ago, it had a slanted "US" logo with the Eagle on the bottom of the grips in black plastic and they look great. They aren't available anymore.  BANJOMAN, any chance you guys will bring this style of grips back as an option? 

Offline Ed Clintwood

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2006, 10:32:03 PM »
If you put "antiqued ivory" on the gun it looks right nice, a little fancy perhaps, but right nice

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2006, 11:32:52 PM »
I have to agree with you, Ed.  I saw one of the "antiqued" USFA Gunslinger models with the Tru-Ivory "aged" grips.  It was very appealing.
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline El Paso Jim

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2006, 03:19:56 AM »
 So what was the answer? Are they 1st generation or what?  When and if I want to get other grips for my new USFA Rodeos, will they be easy to find?  Don't know that I want to pay $250 or more for "plastic", even fancy plastic that'll outlive me, let alone walnut, which is my real preference.... 

Offline Doc Sunrise

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2006, 04:11:21 AM »
USFA SAA's are more closely related in dimensions to the 1st generation Colts, however, some fitting may still be necessary.  Also, if you really want walnut, try to get walnut stocks installed at time of buying a new USFA from the factory.  Any and all of my USFA SAA's with factory walnut stocks are perfect.  And I mean perfect.  They feel like they melt into your hands.  Handling a USFA SAA is identical to handling a Colt 1st generation, and it will inspire your thoughts of the old west.  The difference is that 1st generation Colts can inspire vivid images of their particular history and the events that they went through.  Handling characteristics, quality, and pure Americana are identical between the two, so feel proud in your USFA SAA's. 

Offline Beans

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2006, 10:47:27 AM »
if I could afford a Colt, I'd own one, but I have a Rodeo

I have 6 Rodeos , 2  in each barrel length,  in 45 Colt.

I purchased a colt, becaused I wanted it.  Mistake maybe!  My  45 Colt has a .451 barrel and .456 cylinder throats.  Colt tolerence is .454--.460,  per the factory rep.

I have to use .454 sized bullets in my Colt. If I use .452 sized bullets my group size is about 6 inches off a sandbag rest at 15 yards.

The .454's bring the group down to approximatley 2 inches

My Rodeos have a .451 barrel and .452 cylinder throats.

I use bullets sized to .452 and accuracy hovers around 1 inch at 15 yards off a sandbag rest.

I could correct the Colts problem by buying a 44 /357 cylinder and reboring it to 45 with .452 throats.

The cost would be around $400.00  then I would have an accurate 45 Colt that costs approximatley $1700. instead of an accurate Rodeo that costs $550.

By the way,  the Colt's fit and finish---  CC/blue is attractive and excellence

My Rodeos are also attractive with one peice bonded Ivory grips with carved eagles on both panels that have yellowed nicely and with the Rodeo's finish I like them very much.

I would post photos if I knew how!!!!!!

Offline El Paso Jim

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2006, 02:13:57 PM »
 Sounds like good advice. Thanks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com