Author Topic: Cleanup Converted!!!..... No water in my rifle :)  (Read 8678 times)

Offline Mad Mucus

• Shooter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Cleanup Converted!!!..... No water in my rifle :)
« on: August 30, 2006, 07:49:22 PM »
LANOLIN GREASE - natural, environmentally friendly and non toxic

Click on site:

http://www.lanotec.com.au/

This stuff is the "ant's pants"!

After being recommended to me by a coupla' Aussie BP cartridge shooters, thought I'd give it a burl.  :o It works.

GP Liquid Lanolin Spray(red label)...... did all the internals and externals of my Marlin '94CB Ltd .45Colt, including wood and leather. Paraffin carrier evaporates off leaving a nice flowing coat that's good for the hands and waterproof.

Loaded up 50 warthogs, J/P 45-200 Big Lubes over wax card wad & 35gr vol Swiss fffg and headed to the local range. After every 10 shots did the "moist breath blow-tube thing" for problem free shooting. When finished, as recommended, sprayed liberally down the bore and through action, racked it muzzle down on some paper towel to drain.

Next day (Wallaby Jack leaves it 'til next shoot) ran several dry patches using rod & jag followed by a coupla' lanolin soaked patches and VOILA!...... shiny clean bore. Swabbed out the receiver with some of the cleaner dry patches followed by the wets and wiped over metal externals. Very happy  ;D 95% clean..... will do a full clean after several shoots. Apparently an occasional steam clean is good.

Next outing will run a clean dry patch down the bore, give the action a spray and it'll be good to go.

Looking to try it as a bullet lube, 50/50 beeswax and grease with a little Wintergreen Oil added to stabilize.

Gotta love simplicity  ;)

Mucus

"Outlaw firearms and only the outlaws will have them."

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
Re: Cleanup Converted!!!..... No water in my rifle :)
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 08:00:25 PM »
I've used lanolin (anhydrous) for years in bullet lube and I can buy it here at any large pharmacy. For the air freight for anything ordered from Australia I could practically buy a sheep here & make my own.  ;D

Offline Mad Mucus

• Shooter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 11:05:53 PM »
What, you don't have an equivalent product o'er there in the good ol' U.S. of A. ?  :o

Mucus  ;D

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:48:34 AM »

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 07:58:54 AM »
Ho MM,

I'm not aware of any equivelant product here in the USA, but I'll poke around a bit and see what I kin learn.  'Em J/P 45-200 bullets haul a lot of lube.  What kind you using?  Part of the ease of cleanup is the lube wet barrel.  Don't do a thing for my hands tho. . .

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 08:16:23 AM »
Don't do a thing for my hands tho. . .

Orange waterless hand cleaner.  Keep it in my gun cart.  I'd appreciate it if ya'd pick it up at a NAPA Auto Parts store near you but it's a bunch cheaper at Dollar General or Family Dollar.  Same stuff, different label..........
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Noz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 09:05:17 AM »
Arcey, are you suggesting the orange hand cleaner for the rifle or Dick's hands?

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006, 09:18:55 AM »
Me-self I keep cotton flannel patches in the small brown yeast jars that I seem to have around for some reason.  One jar gets plain ole windshield washer solvent poured on them.  Open the jar and pull one out and yer ready to clean.  It evaporates faster than water and the alcohol in it that keeps it from freezing helps cool the barrel if need be.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 09:33:38 AM »
Arcey, are you suggesting the orange hand cleaner for the rifle or Dick's hands?

Yanno, Noz.....

I've often wunnered whut'd happen if ya pushed a wad soaked in that stuff down a barrel.  Mayhaps I'll find out Saturday.

Wuz recommendin' it for the hands though......
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Noz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 10:10:29 AM »
I've always used bore butter at least to finish a cleaning. I've got some of the "waterless" not orange cleaner. I'll try it Sat night.

Offline Marshal harpoluke

• Black Sash Gunfighter Lord of the Dark Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Agapei Attack Sheep
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2006, 10:17:04 AM »
 ;D :D ;D

Sheephearders revenge, Lanolin comes from Sheep. :o

Is a water-soluble oil and solvent--great for cleaning Holy Black.  Good for Your skin too. ::)

::)

8) 

SASS 60019L
NRA Life
CASS
Muckraker
Straight Shooter
Army Veteran
GOFWG#269
LASOOS#35s,
Lookout fur da sheep, packs a 10ga.,
Ya loot, Ah Shoot,
Lord of the Dark Soot,
Prayer Posse,
GoofBall #12

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2006, 10:34:52 AM »
Mad Mucus:

Interesting alias. I really don't need to know why.

I'm interested in your use of the word 'paraffin' in the sentance: Paraffin carrier evaporates off leaving a nice flowing coat that's good for the hands and waterproof. Perhaps one more example of two people separated by a common language. In the State's paraffin usually refers to a hard wax used in candle making and sealing jars. It sounds to me like you are reffering to it more as a solvent.

Regarding the J/P-200 bullet. If you are serious about loving simplicity, there is no need to place a wax card under the bullet. I assume you did so for extra lube. The bullet carries plenty of lube for any length barrel without needing any extra lube added. I also have found no need for a card wad to separate the bullet from the powder. I just seat the bullet directly on top of the powder, no extra cards or anything. Works fine. Simplicity in itself.

Also, although I subscribe to the "moist breath blow-tube thing" when shooting conventionally designed old fashioned bullets through my Sharps for long range precision accuracy, again, there is no need for this if you are using Big Lube bullets in a lever gun for CAS. I shoot Big Lube Mav-Dutchman 44 cal bullets in my '73. No extra lube. No blow tubing. I can go through a 10 stage match with no attention to the rifle and no loss of accuracy.

Simplicity.

Interesting post about the sheep dip though. There are more ways than one to shoot BP.
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2006, 05:03:06 PM »
DJ, in Jolly ol' England Parrafin is what we call coal oil aka kerosene.  I do belive the folks down under also call it that. ;)
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Wills Point Pete

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2006, 09:48:24 PM »
 What do y'all have against water for cleanin'? I can see why nobody likes to drink that stuff. I had a grandfather died o' water poisonin'. He drank a glass of water because he thunk it was gin and his system couldn't stand the shock. Still, it works real well for cleanin' the shootin' irons.

Offline Mad Mucus

• Shooter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2006, 05:40:44 AM »
Driftwood Johnson..... thanks for the useful info. 

Paraffin hydrocarbon solvent carrier aids spreading.

Spraying the liquid lanolin into the action and down the bore afterwards keeps the fouling soft/lwet, also forms a barrier against moisture.

Lube used is 4 parts beeswax, 3 parts copha, 1 part olive oil, dash of Wintergreen oil.

Offline Noz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2006, 07:45:17 AM »
Arcey, cleaned up the Marlin and the Spartan double with GOOP handcleaner. Saturated a patch, shoved it down the tubes. Waited about 5 minutes and ran a clean patch thru each tube. Sparkling clean. Even took the plastic out of the Spartan. Leaves behind a bit of the lanolin as a water resistant layer.  Sure worked well.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2006, 05:42:26 PM »
Have ta try next month.  Storm knocked the shoot out..............................

Offline Noz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2006, 11:13:06 AM »
Arcey, two shoots with no clean up. Used soap and water followed by Butch's Bore Shine and still had plastic residue in the shotgun. A patch full of GOOP, let it set. One patch and plastics gone. May be on to someyhing.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com