Author Topic: Plated and/or jacketed bullets  (Read 10556 times)

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Plated and/or jacketed bullets
« on: August 08, 2006, 08:40:39 AM »
In browsing through reloading equitment catalogs I've noticed that there is a greater range of jacketed and plated bullets in various weights  and configurations for any particular caliber than in the pure lead catagory.
Thus I was wondering if it would be feaseable to use such a bullet in the heavier framed, old style Ruger Vaqueros with modern smokeless powders using 'cowboy'  loads?
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Plated and/or jacketed bullets
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 08:45:47 AM »
Very simplely, look in the loading manuals either the ones on paper or on-line, if they don't list a lab tested load for what you want, then no, if you want to be safe.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 10:11:34 AM »
You do know that you can't use plated or jacketed bullets in a CAS match don't you?
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:20:11 AM »

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 10:35:00 AM »
You do know that you can't use plated or jacketed bullets in a CAS match don't you?
Of course!

I was thinking of useing them for handgun hunting this fall & winter so I thought I'd ask if it was safe to use them in the heavy framed, old style Ruger Vaqueros. Any information/comments/advice on this subject would be appreciated. I would, if it is safe, also use heiver powder charges for hunting.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 10:37:10 AM »
Read the above post.  Why would you want to down-load a hunting load anyway, the logic escapes me. ???
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 10:46:41 AM »
Read the above post.  Why would you want to down-load a hunting load anyway, the logic escapes me. ???
I don't--- I'm asking these"silly" questions because I don't want to "Blow" the revolver up! I would use a standard hunting load if it were considered to be safe and in a reputable reloading manual such as Hodgeton, Speer etc. But I have always understood that lead bullets were the best to use in a revolver. I really can't see where leaving pieces of a handgun or myself would benifit the enviorment. :)
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 10:56:17 AM »
Since the Single-Action Rugers are one of the strongest prodution fire arms made and the 45 Colt has a "Ruger Only" section in many manuals, why would you think a "standard" hunting load wound be unsafe?

Perhaps the best place to start would be to get a couple of good books on reloading and read them from cover to cover to get an idea of what you are doing.  You can't be a knowledgeable reloader by what you are asking. ???  One should have a good knowledge of what you are doing before you ever attempt to load any ammo. ???
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2006, 11:25:19 AM »
I have reloaded rife cartridges in the past and just this year have started reloading for the revolver thus far I have only used 'cowboy' loads in my Vaqueros and haven't blown myself or anything esle up thus far. I bought the revolvers because they are reputed to be the strongest production firearms made BUT I want to hunt with them also and as stated in a previous post I would like to use either jacketed or plated bullets behind a 'safe' hunting load. I am attempting to add to my knowledge by asking knowledgeable people to respond. If you feel that I am in error by asking these and similer questions then kindly refrain from answering.
 I appreciate your responses thus far and am not ashamed to ask questions that you might construe as 'dumb' but I want to learn and if that is a sin then I'll gladly suffer in purgatoy for a while.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2006, 11:32:33 AM »
Since they are one of the strongest revolvers why would you think that any data listed in a manual made by a bullet or powder maker would list data for a load that would "blow up" one of these?  As I said some study would be in order for you from the sources I already mentioned.   Reloading for years does not mean you have any knowledge of what the heck is going on, a situation far to common in the gun world.

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2006, 02:22:26 PM »
I didn't say nor do I think that the loads listed in reloading manuals are unsafe provided the reloader uses common sense I suppose even 'wildcat' loads are reasonablily safe if done resposabily but I have yet to venture into that particular area of reloading and don't know if I ever will; I'm certianly not planning to at this stage of my reloading experence. I'm sure that the loads listed in the diffrent manuals are considered safe by people more experenced than I.
  I'm interested in getting feedback on the use of plated/jacketed bullets in a revolver in contrast to pure/ mixed lead bullets and working a hunting powder load up from published data in one of my three reloading manuals.
 In other words what type of experance other hunters have had useing plated and/or jacketed bullets in their revolvers, which would they recommend if any, for the .45 Colt caliber handgun. I can and have worked up my own rifle loads but hunting with a revolver is virgin territory for me.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2006, 03:11:46 PM »
Well that is quite a distance from the original queston. ???

"Cause the original one comes off as "Is cowboy loads safe in a Ruger if used them with jacketed bullets."

Since you know want to know what bullet to use, I guess when you say hunting, ya should give someone an idea as to what you are planning to hunt.

Questions are best answered when they exactly state what you want to know.

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2006, 03:34:36 PM »
I did not realize that I was "beating around the bush." Thank you for pointing that out. I plan to hunt deer and wild pig with the handgun mentioned so my question would be, assuming that jacketed/plated bullets are safe to use in my Vaqueros what weight and bullet type is the best to use. I mentioned 'cowboy' loads because they are the mildest "starter" loads that I know of for revolvers.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2006, 08:45:41 AM »
Compared to Cowboy Action ammo you'll want a hot load for hunting and you'll need to be able to consistently place all rounds within an 8" circle at 50 yards from your chosen pistol.

Here's a good article on handgun loads for hunting.
Search Google for more on hunting with handgun.
http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech_notes/archive_tech_notes.htm/61
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Digem Deep

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2006, 05:53:14 PM »
Howdy Cyrille

All the Ruger revolvers are designed to shoot jacketed bullets. If I was in your shoes I probally would opt for some jacketed factory ammo in your caliber. I feel that if you are going to hunt with a handgun you owe it to the game you are after to use the best you can. You want to make the kills as swift and clean as you can. The Ruger revolvers will handle all the factory ammo safely.

Dig'em Deep

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2006, 07:45:15 PM »
Thanks Mr. Deep I will look deeper into the factory ammo available and decide which round to use.
   Again thank you very much.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

Offline Big John Denny

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2006, 04:08:42 PM »
Cyrille,

I use heavy loads in my Ruger Vaqueros for hunting as well. As mentioned before, all the popular reloading books list loads for the Rugers that do not exceed SAMMI limits.

Besides jacketed and hollow points for soft skinned game, you can also load the heavy 300 grain bone breakers in heavy lead for deep penatration on heavy skinned big animals as well.

I use 45 Colt for hunting and haven't had any problems with the Rugers at all.

Next to the Freedom Arms SAs they are the best SA for hunting I've found. Have fun, be safe and good hunting.
Big John Denny, SASS 64775
US Army Retired
Los Vaqueros
BOLD #661
GOFWG #240
SBSS #1780 (Order of the Golden Bullet)
NMLRA
NRA
"Aim small....Miss small"

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2006, 07:41:02 PM »
Thanks Mr. Denny;
   I have ruled out Hollow points in favor of solid bullets for the of penetration afforded by the solids. I think, however that 'plated' bullets might do better than plain lead, and that a lighter 180 gr. would work well on deer the 250 gr. and above for pigs. I may be wrong though.
  I have shot 180s, 200s and 250s through my Vaqueros useing 'cowboy loads' But realize that hotter loads are more appropraite for game, thus I plan to up the powder weight in my reloads.
 I would like opinions on which bullet, if either is better for the hunt plain lead or plated solids.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

Offline Big John Denny

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2006, 10:58:16 PM »
Cyrille, I have used both. It's just a matter of personal preference, but on deer sized game I like to use a jacketed soft point. I find these penetrate well and expand quickly to humanely harvest the deer.

I use a 250gr jacketed hollowpoint for deer sized game. You need to keep in mind the velocity on a handgun projectile is very much less than a similar weight bullet fired from a rifle. In handgun hunting for deer sized game, bigger is really better due to the increased wound channel and overall foot pounds of energy on the target.

I will say I've never had to go chasing after a deer I shot with one of my loads.

Try different styles of bullets in your revolvers and see what works best for you. Don't forget to practice a lot at your anticipated hunting distances. You owe it to yourself and the game animal to be able to shoot accurately at those distances.
Big John Denny, SASS 64775
US Army Retired
Los Vaqueros
BOLD #661
GOFWG #240
SBSS #1780 (Order of the Golden Bullet)
NMLRA
NRA
"Aim small....Miss small"

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2006, 11:21:43 AM »
Cyrille:

I have used my Blackhawks, Super Blackhawks & Bisley Vaqueros (some) for NE whitetail, CO mulies  & ferral hogs since the early '70's.  I have used all manner of bullets from my own cast heavyweights to Winchester & Hornady factory stuff.

In short---Them Rugers handle all of them "hot" loads fine (hence the RATS outfit was started).  But that is another tail----errr tale.
Still comes to bullet placement.  That's more important than energy.  But energy & penetration come next.

Good luck on them LA wild beasts!

Mustang

"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline BlackHawkPaul

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2006, 08:05:12 AM »
You can use plated and jacketed bullets in a Ruger. I use all types of bullets in my revolvers. there are other coatings also; molybdenue (Moly) and lube coatings. I favor using Lee precision Alox Tumble Lube on ALL my projectiles. Some also use gas checks at teh base of their bullets if concerned about gas sheer at higher pressure and power. I use Berry plated bullets when I want a "jacketed" reload. I usually tend to cast soft lead larger bullets (less alloy) coated with Lee Precision Alox with the grooves (if any) filled with Lee or any brand beeswax/alox type lube. Usingthese lubes stops leading. there is very little leading at CAS velocities but lubes really stop leading. I also lube my cases with Lee or Dillon case lubes. Hope this info helps. If you shoot balck powder you need different lubes and my comments are about smokeless.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com