Author Topic: I've gotta ask  (Read 13504 times)

Offline Goatlips

• Top Active Citizen
    • Goatlips' BlackPowder Tips
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: I've gotta ask
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2006, 10:18:57 PM »
Grapeshot, sure did.  Somewhere on this here board a pard said how to do it, several ways were posted.  I stood 'em in a pan with an inch or so of water, then hit them with a propane torch until they got red for the first 3/4 inch, then tipped them over.  Couldn't see the color outdoors in the sun too well, so a couple got overheated and nearly melted; I hadn't annealed and quenched anything since making a knife in shop class. (Try THAT these days  :'()

Whacking them with the reducer before annealing them didn't work so well and I was afaid they wouldn't straighten out again.  I'm gonna shoot the soft ones this Sunday, will let ya know if they give me any problems.  ;D

Goatlips
Wolverine Rangers/Lake County Pistoleros
Visit my Blackpowder site:
http://goatlipstips.cas-town.com/index.html

http://goatlips.hrillc.com/goatlipstips.cas-town.com/index.html

width=200 height=30]http://www.cascity.com/layoutimages/mycascityprofile.gif[/img][/url]

Offline Adirondack Jack

• Top Active Citizen
    • www.cowboy45special.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2006, 10:50:51 PM »
For glue on the overshots, I tried several, including duco (which works but is a PIA, white glue, hot glue, and I dunno what else, and ended up using Elmer's Probond woodworkers glue.  It is A: CHEAP (like 16 ounces for $6), B:, stickier than white glue, and C: pretty near waterproof.  Even when rough handled or dropped, never had a failure.

I just line up the assembled shells and put a drop in the mouth of each one, then go back and swish it around with a Q-tip and call it good.  Let stand an hour or so and ya can box em up without fear of the glue migrating. Most time after firing the little bit that is left in the case mouth is no bother, and provides a bit of "grip" for the next glue job.

I am gonna try annealing and roll crimping a few with a reducer and a universal fine adjustment tool (hammer) and see how I like that :)
Warthog, Dirty Rat, SBSS OGBx3, maker of curious little cartridges

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2006, 04:25:34 AM »
On the assumption that the "new" '87s work the same as the originals (mine was manufactured in 1888), you should have no problems feeding the MagTech brass hulls without any modifications.  Mine feeds the straight edged hulls just fine.  I did put a slight roll on some hulls as an experiment and found that they did not feed any better and only make the reloading process more difficult.  The rolled end seems to be a permanent feature of these hulls as they do not straighten out upon firing and then it is more difficult to insert the cards and wads.  FWIW I would not recommend rolling the end. 

If you encounter problems feeding the hulls into the chamber (the lifter may not raise the hull high enough to present it properly to the chamber) try adding a short block in the magazine tube to increase the spring tension.  I used an empty hull with the rim at rear of the tube which worked wonders for my '87.  Your milage may vary.

This is a CC special '87, it seems to handle AA just fine.....However using the Magtech brass it seems to be lacking enough lift to get them in line with chamber, rolled or other wise. Your advise to block the  magizine spring is the next step.
Mathew 5.9

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 10:42:03 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com