Author Topic: A Twist on Dinner rolls  (Read 6125 times)

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
A Twist on Dinner rolls
« on: August 04, 2006, 08:48:13 AM »
This is most likely nothing new, but I started making this several years ago for potlucks and food days at work  The baking pan is a 15' cast irion skillet, and the rolls come out whole wheat, white and rye.

The recipe is not exact as to exactly what to use, but it starts with 6 cups of warm water, when your doughs are mixed up it it will be pretty right on with the amount needed to fill the pan.  This gets 3 packages of yeast or the equivelant in bulk.  I add a bit of sugar and a bit of salt if desired.   Also I add a small lump or lard, maybe 1/3 cup.  I then stir in enough white flour to make a batter about as thick as pancake batter.  When the yeast has got it good and bubbly in about an hour, I stir it well mixing in the lard and then divide it between 3 bowls.  In one I add enough white flour to make a white bread dough, the next I add enough whole wheat flour to make a whole wheat dough.  The next one gets what ever is needed to make rye bread,  this was pumpernickle because I didn't have the steel ground for my favoite Czech style and used some mollasses and some stone ground rye flour, plus of course caraway seed.

When the doughs have doubled I punch them down and make up rolls and place them in the well greased pan.  When doubled in size again, bake at 375-400 till done, (35-40 minutes.)  Brush with melted butter when done.  This will drop right out of a well seasoned pan and when cooled can be wrapped. 

Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
Re: A Twist on Dinner rolls
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 10:16:43 AM »
Those really look good, Del. Thanks for posting the recipe. Could you do the same with biscuit dough to get different flavored biscuits?

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 12:28:53 PM »
Shouldn't be a problem.  Biscuits though you spread them out in the pan more and they wouldn't stick together as well.  Thats what everyone likes about this, a wheel of bread.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:32:07 AM »

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 09:22:39 PM »
Thanks, Del. I agree on the rolls, people like the pull-apart aspect of it. I'll have to go round up a good 15-incher.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 09:36:19 PM »
One could cut that down and use a 12 if that much was not needed,  I'd start with about 3 1/2 to 4 cups of water and two packages of yeast.  One of the hazards of not measurin' anything, it's hard sometimes to write down recipes. 
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2006, 01:44:52 AM »
One of the hazards of not measurin' anything, it's hard sometimes to write down recipes.
I don't measure much, either. Of course, some things that are out of my normal experience usually benefit from a bit of measuring.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2006, 11:17:05 AM »
Yeah, yer right on that, but my measurin' cups and spoons are at the end of my wrist, except on certain things that require exact.

BTW I done some figgirin' on this chipherin' thing on the contrapion on my dest.  4 cups whould work out well on the 12 inch skillet if yiu did not want quite that much. ;)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2006, 02:29:10 PM »
You ol' boys wanna quit palaverin' an' pass me the butter an' that crock of honey?  Trinity, if that hand comes much closer to my platter you'll lose a couple of fingers.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2006, 05:16:25 PM »
Yeah, yer right on that, but my measurin' cups and spoons are at the end of my wrist, except on certain things that require exact.
When I was a pup, I'd put things in by simply smelling and deciding by smell if it would be a good addition. That's only failed me a couple times. I was making clam chowder once and found this red powder in the cupboard. It smelled good, but weak so I tossed a couple large handfulls of it in. LOL, it was cayenne. The only one that could eat it was the dog, and then only reluctantly. He'd take a mouthful, shake his head and walk around in a couple circles before going for another mouthful. I figured he'd regret it the next day so I didn't let him eat his fill.

Trinity, if that hand comes much closer to my platter you'll lose a couple of fingers.
:D

Offline oscar

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2006, 10:31:52 PM »
Del showed me his rolls friday afternoon. I went home and got out my sourdough starter to make some sourdough biscuits today. Normally I have used modern recipe and used charcoal as my heat.
I used a PC recipe and did it up with a sour dough starter made from scratch. I probably could have left them on another 5 min.s but I got nervous about burnin from lack of experience with bread doughs like this usually I have made cakes in the dutch along with other main dishes. I'm teaching myself rolls and such. have plenty to learn, as you can see this was an exceptable result. They rose and they tasted great too.   
Oscar

Offline oscar

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2006, 10:46:55 PM »
Almost forgot, I used cedar and oak wood to harvest coals from, I can see why cedar is so nice the wood chunks up into 1 and 2 inch pieces just right for cookin.

Del, I have a real nice old shovel I'll bring to Hollensburg. It is about 6-8 inches across with a real long handle so you won't get the hair on your hands burnt off. It takes two scoops to fill the top of a
Dutch.   
Oscar

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2006, 11:04:35 PM »
Looks good pard, one the way to Kansas, pick my brain about sourdough.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com