Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 01, 2014, 01:16:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  Cas City Historical Society (Moderators: St. George, Silver Creek Slim)  |  Topic: Old time names in your family 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Old time names in your family  (Read 23423 times)
TallBaldBellied
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #75 on: January 08, 2012, 12:04:24 am »

Willis Burl, Willie Estil, Marion Francis,Pilate, Ferdinand, Alamander, Con, and Con Carol, for men.  Esta Mayme, Margaret Seattie, Polly Mae, Flozie, and Bernice for women.  These are just in the last 3 generations  of 15 native born in my family.
Major 2
"Still running against the wind"
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

NCOWS Senator * Cracker Cow Cavalry

« Reply #76 on: January 08, 2012, 07:31:04 am »

Howdy!

My maternal Grandmother's name was Maude.  Not very common these days.

The other side of the family coin, my paternal Grandmother, was named Fairy Lulu (Wagner) Bailey.  Kinda makes me glad I was born a man! Grin

Also, my Scottish wife (really from Scotland) is named Williamina.  (Say William  and add Ina - long I - to it)  It gets mis-pronounced a lot as Wilhemina, but it aint.  My stepson's name isn't unusual over in Great Britain, but here his name, Gareth  gives a lot of Americans fits.  "Garth - Garrett - Gary" ...  'bout anything EXCEPT Gareth.  Undecided  Huh  Roll Eyes

My Dads Mother , was Maude Howle Buchanan married Nathanial Thomas Ragland , and my sister is Priscella Maude ,  I'm Roger Buchanan Ragland
The Raglands ( Raglan) are from Wales and the Buchanan's Scotland

Dad was , Thomas Rucker Ragland and

Mom, Kathryn Eloise Ragland (nee Rice)  her mother was Christina Sara Anderson, ( Mom was the 3rd. of 6 childern (# 2 died in infancy) her Dad,  Luther Warren Rice was Mayor of Highlands NC.

Luther Warren Rice uncles were Vergil, John & Pea Norton and served in the CW. ( I have tintype of them ) only John survived the war

Bugscuffle
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #77 on: January 08, 2012, 07:42:11 pm »

I am also of Russian decent. Moma's name was Svetlana, her Father's name was Hipolit and his friends all called him Pole. His American friends, not understanding all called him Paul., Moma's Mothers name was Alexandra and her friends all called her Sasha. My paternal Grandmother was named Hyacinth. She was just called Gramma.

We had a Governor here in Texas a while ago with the last name of Hogg. He had a cruel sense of humor because he named his daughter Ima. She never changed their her name either. It is not true that he had another daughter named Ura.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Hogg

I will no longer respond to the rants of the small minded that want to sling mud rather than discuss in an adult manner.
G.W. Strong
Grand Army of the Frontier, (Bvt.) Lt. Colonel, Commander of the Division of Illinois
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

GAF, Department of the Missouri

« Reply #78 on: January 08, 2012, 09:43:22 pm »

My son is Charles Strong, named for his Great Great Great Grandfather. However when we found out we were expecting him we jokingly saif Lets's name him after My grandfather and great grandfather if he is born on the 4th of July. They were George Washington Strong Jr and Sr. As it happens he didged a bullet by 1 day. He was born on July 3rd so Charles Edward Strong he is.

I am Douglas Ward Strong son of
Donald Valdemar Strong son of
George Washington Strong Jr. son of
George Washington Strong Sr. son of
Charles Hosea Strong son of
Leonard Rufus Strong son of
Rufus Strong son of
Solomon Strong son of
Icabod Strong son of
Jonathan Strong son of
Ebeneezer Strong son of
John Strong son of
Richard John Strong son of
George Strong son of
John Strong son of
Robert Strong,  Born 1845

George Washington "Hopalong" Strong
SASS #91251
Bristol Plains Pistoleros & Good Guy's Posse
NCOWS #3477
Grand Army of the Frontier #774, Department of the Missouri. (Bvt.) Lt. Colonel, Commander of the Division of Illinois
Bull Durham
Citizen

« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2012, 11:53:41 am »

My given name is Gregory Gamaliel Brooks. Gamaliel is an old family name that came from the Bible. I don't know how far back it goes in my family but it goes back a ways. My father's name was Gilbert Gamaliel Brooks. Daddy went by G.G. from the day he was born until the day he died.
Two-Step
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2012, 05:32:19 pm »

A few "old timey" names in my family
James
Sallie
Nathan
Gus
Richard
John
Velva
Marshal
Glaffery
Jefferson
Wanda
Howard
Peter

Mine and my wife's family have been in this country for a VERY LONG time. Her documented ancestors include Nathan B Forrest while my family is documented to have taken active parts in pre-revolutionary guerrilla battles against the English. this one being named Peter.
The above mentioned names do not include those of my Native American ancestors, being primarily Huron and Black Foot, with a touch of Cherokee, nor the names of my wife's Apache ancestors. Mainly, this is due to a lack of birth records and "adoption" of christian names.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote. -Benjamin Franklin
HogDoc Olliday
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #81 on: March 28, 2012, 11:07:40 am »

In researching my family genealogy, I've come across so many old time family names, especially from the 'southern roots' part of the family.

My personal favorites are: Demarious (my great grandmother), Almisha (her sister), Wilson Asbury (GGGgrandpa), Little Berry (male brother of my GGrandpa and alias namesake-he died in Andersonville), and Columbus (my alias' given name).

I kinda miss these old names. What kind of old timey names are in your family? Care to share? Roll Eyes
My dad's name was Eldon. Mom, Lois. Had an uncle named Zander Johnson. Grandmother was Annabelle. Aunts: Ruth, Hazel. Aunt Gertrude. Uncle Skinny. Cousin: Scrub. Uncle: Ezra

HogDoc Olliday
SASS #89965
"Born 100 Years too late"
Coyote Hunter
Saddlebag Preacher
Top Active Citizen

I only have two cheeks....

« Reply #82 on: April 04, 2012, 11:50:54 am »

My Maternal Grandparents were Overton Reeser and Dicie Bell (Lucas) Reeser. His father was named Robert E. Lee Reeser, and his fahter was named Ova Reeser. I guess you can tell what side Ova prefered during the war of Northern Aggression.. Grin

"The Lord Is My Shepherd, The Bible is my guide, My horse is my partner, Mr. Remrington's on my side."

Member of the American Frontier Reenactment Guild
SixGuns Entertainment, Inc. www.sixgunsonline.com
T & L Ministries as the Circuit Rider Bro. Beauregard http://saddlebagpreacher.blogspot.com
Daniel Nighteyes
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #83 on: August 10, 2012, 02:18:26 pm »

Recognizing that I am halfblood Choctaw:

My maternal grandfather, a halfblood circuit-riding preacher, had the last name of Funderburk.  This is the "Americanization" of the family name "Von der Berg"; yep, its German.

My paternal grandfather, a halfblood farmer, had the last name of Rowe -- which is the English spelling.  Subsequent research determined that it was originally Roe -- the Irish spelling.  His forebears changed it to the English spelling because of the signs in The New World that read "Irish need not apply."  Even earlier than that, it was Ruadh ("REW-aahh"), an Irish word meaning "red" or "red-haired".  This is also the root-name for Rowan, btw.

There are a LOT of Biblical names among my ancestors:  Noah (2), Ezra, Benjamin, Ruth, etc.  However, perhaps the oddest are Cleta Belle and (given that my ancestors lived in Dixie) Juanita.
1961MJS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #84 on: September 20, 2012, 09:22:43 am »

Hi

I'll have to work out a whole long message on this one, but my two favorites are my Grandmother on my Dad's side, Ida Wihelmina Mueller and my Maternal Great Uncle Huelet.  I've never heard that one before.

Mike
Norman OK

Mike

Norman Oklahoma
Grand Army of the Frontier #797
Beautiful Guns Make Small Groups
Trailrider
CAS-L Ghost Rider
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2012, 11:34:15 pm »

Not much strange names in my family, but do you know that the actress Swoosie Kurtz was actually named after her father's
B-17 bomber! He was a colonel in the Army Air Force in the Pacific in WWII. There was a song about "Alexander the Swoose", half swan, half goose! I think his plane was a cannibalization of a bunch of other aircraft. He named his infant daughter "Swoosie".  Shocked Or so the story goes.

Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  Cas City Historical Society (Moderators: St. George, Silver Creek Slim)  |  Topic: Old time names in your family « previous next »
Jump to: