Author Topic: Old time names in your family  (Read 55407 times)

Offline Two-Step

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Old time names in your family
« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2012, 04:32:19 PM »
A few "old timey" names in my family
James
Sallie
Nathan
Gus
Richard
John
Velva
Marshal
Glaffery
Jefferson
Wanda
Howard
Peter

Mine and my wife's family have been in this country for a VERY LONG time. Her documented ancestors include Nathan B Forrest while my family is documented to have taken active parts in pre-revolutionary guerrilla battles against the English. this one being named Peter.
The above mentioned names do not include those of my Native American ancestors, being primarily Huron and Black Foot, with a touch of Cherokee, nor the names of my wife's Apache ancestors. Mainly, this is due to a lack of birth records and "adoption" of christian names.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote. -Benjamin Franklin

Offline HogDoc Olliday

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: March 28, 2012, 11:07:40 AM »
In researching my family genealogy, I've come across so many old time family names, especially from the 'southern roots' part of the family.

My personal favorites are: Demarious (my great grandmother), Almisha (her sister), Wilson Asbury (GGGgrandpa), Little Berry (male brother of my GGrandpa and alias namesake-he died in Andersonville), and Columbus (my alias' given name).

I kinda miss these old names. What kind of old timey names are in your family? Care to share? ::)
My dad's name was Eldon. Mom, Lois. Had an uncle named Zander Johnson. Grandmother was Annabelle. Aunts: Ruth, Hazel. Aunt Gertrude. Uncle Skinny. Cousin: Scrub. Uncle: Ezra
HogDoc Olliday
SASS #89965
"Born 100 Years too late"

Offline Coyote Hunter

• Saddlebag Preacher
  • Top Active Citizen
  • I only have two cheeks....
    • The Saddlebag Preacher
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: April 04, 2012, 11:50:54 AM »
My Maternal Grandparents were Overton Reeser and Dicie Bell (Lucas) Reeser. His father was named Robert E. Lee Reeser, and his fahter was named Ova Reeser. I guess you can tell what side Ova prefered during the war of Northern Aggression.. ;D
"The Lord Is My Shepherd, The Bible is my guide, My horse is my partner, Mr. Remrington's on my side."

Member of the American Frontier Reenactment Guild
SixGuns Entertainment, Inc. www.sixgunsonline.com
T & L Ministries as the Circuit Rider Bro. Beauregard http://saddlebagpreacher.blogspot.com

Advertising

« Reply #83 on: Today at 03:46:53 PM »

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: August 10, 2012, 02:18:26 PM »
Recognizing that I am halfblood Choctaw:

My maternal grandfather, a halfblood circuit-riding preacher, had the last name of Funderburk.  This is the "Americanization" of the family name "Von der Berg"; yep, its German.

My paternal grandfather, a halfblood farmer, had the last name of Rowe -- which is the English spelling.  Subsequent research determined that it was originally Roe -- the Irish spelling.  His forebears changed it to the English spelling because of the signs in The New World that read "Irish need not apply."  Even earlier than that, it was Ruadh ("REW-aahh"), an Irish word meaning "red" or "red-haired".  This is also the root-name for Rowan, btw.

There are a LOT of Biblical names among my ancestors:  Noah (2), Ezra, Benjamin, Ruth, etc.  However, perhaps the oddest are Cleta Belle and (given that my ancestors lived in Dixie) Juanita.

1961MJS

« Reply #84 on: September 20, 2012, 09:22:43 AM »
Hi

I'll have to work out a whole long message on this one, but my two favorites are my Grandmother on my Dad's side, Ida Wihelmina Mueller and my Maternal Great Uncle Huelet.  I've never heard that one before.

Mike
Norman OK

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2012, 11:34:15 PM »
Not much strange names in my family, but do you know that the actress Swoosie Kurtz was actually named after her father's
B-17 bomber! He was a colonel in the Army Air Force in the Pacific in WWII. There was a song about "Alexander the Swoose", half swan, half goose! I think his plane was a cannibalization of a bunch of other aircraft. He named his infant daughter "Swoosie".  :o Or so the story goes.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com