Author Topic: Old time names in your family  (Read 55444 times)

Offline Gomezy3k

• NCOWS Member
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Old time names in your family
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2010, 11:18:53 AM »
On my fathers side there is "Jacob" or some variation that for the most part (every now and then some ignored the tradition, or only girls were born, LOL) has been handed down from father to one of the sons since somewhere around the 1300's.

On my mother's side, Eliza, Madeline, Ora, Verla, Dixie... 
NCOWS Life Member 153
I love the Holy Black Powder... 
Come to the Darkside, we have cookies.
NRA Life Member
Eldorado Cowboys Las Vegas Life Member

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2011, 02:14:04 AM »
Okay,

I had great uncles on my mom's side named Stephen Austin, Samuel Houston and Kit Carson ... with the last name of Ellis

Here is a pic of the resting place of the original Wadd (Watt) Watson Ellis and WWE  ...

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline royal barnes

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2011, 07:33:08 PM »
Lady ancestors: Beunah, Vashti, Cordelia, Ethel, Bernice, Rubye, Rachel, Ophelia.

Males: Francis, Johann, Lafayette, Coy, Hoyle

The most interesting males were: Captain John Lattimore who was with Isaac Shelby's Over the Mountain Men and fought at the Battle of King's Mountain, was wounded, and homesteaded near the battlefield. He died at age 75 with a British musket ball still in his leg. I always thought his rank was Captain but it was his given name. He had a brother also named John (Josiah John) who is referred to in family history as "Redheaded" John.

Major McCombs Gardner: Owned a photography studio on Peachtree Street in Atlanta and was on the last train leaving the city prior to Sherman's invasion. Studio was burned to the ground.
SASS #5792 Life Regulator
BOLD#326
LASSOOS #33s
Purveyor of the Dark Arts
Jedi Gunfighter
WARTHOG

Advertising

« Reply #63 on: Today at 01:46:57 AM »

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2011, 09:29:57 PM »
G Grandfather was Thaddeous James, his son was Eugene. T. James's brothers, at least a few, William Harvey and Sylvester Fair. My Dad was Willard Walton, me I'm a Gary. My grandmother on Mom's side was Della, two of Mom's aunts were Corrie( never did find out the base name for that one) and Nettie( called her Aunt Net). Thinking about Corrie, might have been short for Corretta ::)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2011, 11:19:54 AM »
I totally forgot my Dad, Thomas Alva Taylor, named after some guy who was an inventor and electrician.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Sergeant Stump Marlow

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2011, 12:33:16 AM »
Ferdinand  Columbus was my Great Great Great Grandfathers name. Julius was one of my Uncles. My Grandfather on my mom's side was Berty Lee, he went by Burt.
SGT Marlow
SFC (R) US Army 1983-2008
Chisholm Trail, Indian Territory
NCOWS #3386

Offline w.b. masterson

• William Barclay Masterson
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2011, 01:44:03 AM »
Dad's mother was a Wallace.  As you can imagine, lots of Williams in our family.  Also, one of the early immigrants was Barnabus Wallace (nicknamed Barney).  My g-grandfather was James Barney Wallace.  My grandfather was James Barney Reed.
"There are those who argue that everything breaks even in this old dump of a world of ours. I suppose these ginks who argue that way hold that because the rich man gets ice in the summer and the poor man gets it in the winter things are breaking even for both. Maybe so, but I'll swear I can't see it

Offline Jayhawker

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2011, 11:55:55 AM »
My Mothers first and middle name was Ruby Roelda, her sisters were Viola and Mabel.  As a member of the Sullivan clan, my brothers are Sheridan Mack, Billy (not William) Ross and Jon(not John) Leslie (yep! Jon L. Sullivan)...always held a grudge that I ended up with the common handle of "Steven" after all the thought Mom and Dad put into my brothers 50 cent handles...
Life is NOT like a box of chocolates...it more like a jalapeno...what you do today might burn your butt tomorrow...

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2011, 12:27:19 PM »
My grandfather on my mother's side was named Levi Robertson. Now he was of English decent and came over shortly after the first English settlers before the Revolutionary War. Other than that I have little knowledge of that side of the family other than his wife, my grandmother was full Cherokee Indian. Her maiden name was given as Bertha Bell but don't know much more about that. She did have 14 children, 7 boys and 7 girls, which my mother was the second oldest girl. My fathers side came from Italy (grandfather) and Hungry (grandmother). They where both first generation born in the US after their families moved here. Kind of makes me a mini walking united nations I guess.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline bowiemaker

• Maker of sharp pointy things
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Carter Custom Knives
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: May 01, 2011, 02:46:56 PM »
One of my favaorites was my grandfather Alfonzo, known as Fon among the family. I had an uncle named Lone. Others in the family were known as Punch and Hambone. My dad was Ollie. An aunt was Ida.

I had an aunt named Chlora Dee. I was a teenager before I figured out that was two names and not "Clordee".
NCOWS #3405   RATS #612

Offline JimBob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: May 01, 2011, 05:41:30 PM »
It is interesting in doing family research how some sides of the family repeated names every generation.My fathers family came over from Scotland in the 1760s and there have been John,James and Roberts in every generation named after grandfathers,fathers,or brothers following Scots custom in naming male children.A few of the less common were Brice,Atwell,Hugh,and Minton.

The first member of my mothers family born in the "colonies" in 1662 was named Reuben but the name was never repeated again.

A little more variety on the female side Nellie,Delvina,Permelia,Lucinda, and Apphia.One of my GreatGrandmothers was named Hannah Janeatte,she was callied "Nettie" by everyone.Anothers name was Rachel Celestine but being tall and rather stout of stature she was called naturally "Tiny".She had passed away in 1951 and it took a long time to find a family member who knew her  given name.

Offline Mason Stillwell

• BP C&B SHOOTER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #71 on: May 22, 2011, 12:18:11 PM »
Grandpa = William Dawson
Grandma = Elengtine
Dad  =     William Pious
Me   =      James Pious    No one much has heard of Pious for a name everyone tells me.

Mom = Hester
My Grandma on Mom's side was Elsie . I love that name

;D
Mason Stillwell

Grand Pap to 4
BP C&B Shooter.

Known early on as Pole Cat Pete
Tar Heel at Heart

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2011, 07:11:59 AM »
Well most of my family names seem pedestrian by comparison. On one side we had names like Richard, who arrived here in 1620 and Benedict Arnold, no not that one, this one was a politician in the mid 1600s(the shame). On the other side is Horace, who was a teacher, and Ambrose, who had a varied career, and Alexander, who like to take pictures, all around the 19th century. My grandparents were Emma and Oscar on one side and Esther and Clifford on the other. And much to my chagrin and my kids delight, we even have a Harry Potter in the family some generations back.

Offline Capt. Jack McQuesten

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: January 07, 2012, 07:39:56 PM »
My great, great grandfather's names was Leroy Napoleon McQuesten. Everyone called him "Capt. Jack" (Hence my SASS Alias in his honor).

His wife's name was Satojdenalno Nagelah. He called her "Katherine".
SASS #56937  BOLD #527  RATS #120  WARTHOG
"There's payment to be made to them thats done this...."

Offline Border Ruffian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: January 07, 2012, 08:21:09 PM »
Great Great Grandmother was Flavilla, GG Grandfather was Enoch

Great Grandfather was John Washington, Great Grandmother was Amanda Adeliene

Grandfather was Philip and Grandmother was Sara Esther
http://oldschoolguns.blogspot.com/  A place for Classic Firearms

Offline TallBaldBellied

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: January 07, 2012, 11:04:24 PM »
Willis Burl, Willie Estil, Marion Francis,Pilate, Ferdinand, Alamander, Con, and Con Carol, for men.  Esta Mayme, Margaret Seattie, Polly Mae, Flozie, and Bernice for women.  These are just in the last 3 generations  of 15 native born in my family.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 422
« Reply #76 on: January 08, 2012, 06:31:04 AM »
Howdy!

My maternal Grandmother's name was Maude.  Not very common these days.

The other side of the family coin, my paternal Grandmother, was named Fairy Lulu (Wagner) Bailey.  Kinda makes me glad I was born a man! ;D

Also, my Scottish wife (really from Scotland) is named Williamina.  (Say William  and add Ina - long I - to it)  It gets mis-pronounced a lot as Wilhemina, but it aint.  My stepson's name isn't unusual over in Great Britain, but here his name, Gareth  gives a lot of Americans fits.  "Garth - Garrett - Gary" ...  'bout anything EXCEPT Gareth.  :-\  ???  ::)

My Dads Mother , was Maude Howle Buchanan married Nathanial Thomas Ragland , and my sister is Priscella Maude ,  I'm Roger Buchanan Ragland
The Raglands ( Raglan) are from Wales and the Buchanan's Scotland

Dad was , Thomas Rucker Ragland and

Mom, Kathryn Eloise Ragland (nee Rice)  her mother was Christina Sara Anderson, ( Mom was the 3rd. of 6 childern (# 2 died in infancy) her Dad,  Luther Warren Rice was Mayor of Highlands NC.

Luther Warren Rice uncles were Vergil, John & Pea Norton and served in the CW. ( I have tintype of them ) only John survived the war

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Bugscuffle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: January 08, 2012, 06:42:11 PM »
I am also of Russian decent. Moma's name was Svetlana, her Father's name was Hipolit and his friends all called him Pole. His American friends, not understanding all called him Paul., Moma's Mothers name was Alexandra and her friends all called her Sasha. My paternal Grandmother was named Hyacinth. She was just called Gramma.

We had a Governor here in Texas a while ago with the last name of Hogg. He had a cruel sense of humor because he named his daughter Ima. She never changed their her name either. It is not true that he had another daughter named Ura.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Hogg
I will no longer respond to the rants of the small minded that want to sling mud rather than discuss in an adult manner.

Offline G.W. Strong

• Grand Army of the Frontier, (Bvt.) Colonel, Commander of the Department of the Missouri
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • GAF, Department of the Missouri
    • Talbot's Fine Accessories
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #78 on: January 08, 2012, 08:43:22 PM »
My son is Charles Strong, named for his Great Great Great Grandfather. However when we found out we were expecting him we jokingly saif Lets's name him after My grandfather and great grandfather if he is born on the 4th of July. They were George Washington Strong Jr and Sr. As it happens he didged a bullet by 1 day. He was born on July 3rd so Charles Edward Strong he is.

I am Douglas Ward Strong son of
Donald Valdemar Strong son of
George Washington Strong Jr. son of
George Washington Strong Sr. son of
Charles Hosea Strong son of
Leonard Rufus Strong son of
Rufus Strong son of
Solomon Strong son of
Icabod Strong son of
Jonathan Strong son of
Ebeneezer Strong son of
John Strong son of
Richard John Strong son of
George Strong son of
John Strong son of
Robert Strong,  Born 1845
George Washington "Hopalong" Strong
Grand Army of the Frontier #774, (Bvt.) Colonel commanding the Department of the Missouri.
SASS #91251
Good Guy's Posse & Bristol Plains Pistoleros
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators

Offline Bull Durham

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2012, 10:53:41 AM »
My given name is Gregory Gamaliel Brooks. Gamaliel is an old family name that came from the Bible. I don't know how far back it goes in my family but it goes back a ways. My father's name was Gilbert Gamaliel Brooks. Daddy went by G.G. from the day he was born until the day he died.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com